IGNORED

A note from Harley to their Dealers

Chaharly

Hey guys, just read this on facebook and I dont have any real good way of sharing it there but I found this on the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Royal Star Tour Deluxe page on Facebook. I'm just copying and pasting

Just passing on this info due to you probably receiving false or misleading info from the media:

Harley-Davidson of Bloomington

9 hrs ·

There has been a lot of fake and mistaken accusations concerning HD in the news the past couple of days. Here is the truth, if you are interested in the truth.

Harley-Davidson's Message to its dealers.

Dear Dealers:

I’d like to take this opportunity to give you some additional perspective on our response to the tariffs being imposed by the EU and clarify some inaccuracies that have been reported in the media. For the detail on our decision I encourage you to read the announcement we shared yesterday here on H-Dnet. You can find a link below.

*****************************************************************************To clarify, we are not moving our Kansas City production to Thailand. Our Kansas City plant is being consolidated into our state-of-the art plant in York, PA. This decision was based on our need to address excess capacity we have in the U.S. Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the U.S. will continue to be made in the U.S. Harley-Davidson motorcycles will not be imported into the U.S. from international facilities.

On June 22, 2018, the European Union enacted tariffs on various U.S. manufactured products including Harley-Davidson motorcycles. The increased EU tariff from 6% to 31% results in an incremental cost of approximately $2,200 per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU. We do not feel it is acceptable to pass that additional cost on to our dealers or the retail customer and therefore have chosen to take the actions outlined in our 8-k.

As we’ve said before, increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not our preference, and we are hopeful the EU governments will continue to work to reach an agreement on trade issues and rescind these tariffs, so we do not have to take these extraordinary steps.

This decision was made after very carefully weighing our options and choosing the best decision for our riders, our dealers, our business and brand. As a dealer you are among the greatest advocates for Harley-Davidson. And I share this clarification with you because you can help relay our position and our intention when you’re asked about it, from your customers, your teams, your friends and family. It’s unfortunate that the real facts are not always reported on, and it’s important to us that you know and understand the facts. Thank you for your continued commitment to our great brand.

Regards,

Dave Cotteleer

VP and Managing Director, U.S. Sales

Seems to me that they are not saying something?

So building a new state of the art plant. Wonderful! Why can't this new plant handle EU sales? Tariffs are temporary, the add potential jobs both now and well into the future matter.

Import tariffs are nothing more than a tax on the consumer that fills the guvmint coffers. As such, being a tax dressed up as a trade bargaining tool to fool the unknowing, it is quite possible that they will be unlikely to be temporary in the short term. If I recall correctly, HD sales have been rising in the EU while falling in the USA. It would seem HD's decision to manufacture bikes destined for the EU in Thailand or elsewhere is a good one if it gets around tariffs on products from the USA.

Using tariffs is an unfortunate method to influence exports or imports because they will potentially force up the cost to consumers. That's why Canadians get to pay so much for dairy products by charging a 270% import tariff that goes straight to the guvmint and keeps the price of dairy high in this country. The US should charge the same ridiculous tariff on Canadian dairy that gets dumped into the US at a price far lower than we have to pay for it.

This is all over my head, but I seem to remember that the import tariffs were to be a like for like tax.

If they tax our steel at 25%, then we do the same....That seems pretty fair to me, but what do I know about international trade policies.

As far as Harley goes, I wonder how many of them they sell overseas. IMHO, Harleys are pretty and a lot of folks like that sound, but not at the top of the game as far as performance, reliability and longevity (at least without major rebuild) goes. If you take away the "Made in America" selling point so popular with our citizens....how do they stand up against Japanese or European bikes in overseas markets?

Just wondering.:confused24:

This is all over my head, but I seem to remember that the import tariffs were to be a like for like tax.

If they tax our steel at 25%, then we do the same....That seems pretty fair to me, but what do I know about international trade policies.

As far as Harley goes, I wonder how many of them they sell overseas. IMHO, Harleys are pretty and a lot of folks like that sound, but not at the top of the game as far as performance, reliability and longevity (at least without major rebuild) goes. If you take away the "Made in America" selling point so popular with our citizens....how do they stand up against Japanese or European bikes in overseas markets?

Just wondering.:confused24:

I recall seeing a number like 40,000 Harley's sold in Europe last year. That high of a number surprised me. But good for H-D if true.