IGNORED

Pink Grease

Am rebuilding the calipers, does the edge that sticks up on the black seals go towards the brake pads or towards the caliper?

What do I do with the pink grease? I suppose it's compatible with brake fluid?

I'm shocked and amazed that there is no article on overhauling the brakes!

Edited by dna9656

Am rebuilding the calipers, does the edge that sticks up on the black seals got towards the brake pads or towards the caliper?

What do I do with the pink grease? I suppose it's compatible with brake fluid?

I'm shocked and amazed that there is no article on overhauling the brakes!

The grease goes on the caliper slides, the backs of the pads, and the track the pads ride in. Please do not mix the grease with the brake fluid. Also, don't be afraid to use a little bit of anti seize on any of the nuts or bolts when putting the brakes back together.

• 2 weeks later...
The grease goes on the caliper slides, the backs of the pads, and the track the pads ride in. Please do not mix the grease with the brake fluid. Also, don't be afraid to use a little bit of anti seize on any of the nuts or bolts when putting the brakes back together.

FRom www.brakecrafters.com: http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Though I'm sure the RRG didn't harm anything in you application. Years ago when I got my 83.5 VR I rebuilt the calipers as the bike had been sitting for ages....I don't remember where I got the kit (prolly partzilla) but those seals came with instructions and mentioned (I thought) the the grease was used to lube the cups and rubber but I wasn't sure but I dang sure followed the $%#@&*^% instructions! Now we all know! Oh yeah apparently you can buy RRG in 1 OZ. packs so you won't have it sitting around getting old and dirty. Ck. out the RRG website, very educational!

Thanks!

Edited by dna9656

I would use loctite on the bolts that hold the calipers on before I would use anti-seize. I think the manual recommends it. I wouldn't want the calipers to become loose. When I was working in FL a coworker was riding his Ducati home and the front brake felt like it was dragging. He applied a little pressure to the brake lever and the front wheel locked up and he somersaulted over the handlebars and woke up in the hospital. I don't know what happened but I guessed that a caliper became loose and locked up the front wheel when he pulled the lever.

I would use loctite on the bolts that hold the calipers on before I would use anti-seize. I think the manual recommends it. I wouldn't want the calipers to become loose. When I was working in FL a coworker was riding his Ducati home and the front brake felt like it was dragging. He applied a little pressure to the brake lever and the front wheel locked up and he somersaulted over the handlebars and woke up in the hospital. I don't know what happened but I guessed that a caliper became loose and locked up the front wheel when he pulled the lever.

Some kind of grease/oil/lube/brake fluid got on the pads. I once had a car on which the rear axle seal leaks, the lube got on the brakes and the brakes locked up all the time. I too would use locktite on a threaded component on a brake caliper. I would and have used anti seize as a lube for between brake SHOES and the BACKING PLATE on cars because it's heat resistant and won't run therefore stays put. I have also used anti sieze on the caliper's surfaces that move as the pads wear; never had an issue. Nowadays I use brake component lube and that won't run and stays put too.

Edited by dna9656

I used the red grease from Brakecrafters when I rebuilt my calipers last year and it made a world of difference when sliding in the pistons. Without the grease they actually pulled the seals out of the groves but with the red grease they slide right in with no issues. I ended up applying it also to the seals that go between the caliper halves just to make sure they didnt dry out.

Rick F.

I used the red grease from Brakecrafters when I rebuilt my calipers last year and it made a world of difference when sliding in the pistons. Without the grease they actually pulled the seals out of the groves but with the red grease they slide right in with no issues. I ended up applying it also to the seals that go between the caliper halves just to make sure they didnt dry out.

Rick F.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I THOUGHT I used it years ago on the 83.5 and I had NO PROBLEM with the brakes. I ordered 4oz on Amazon just now to be sure I had enough for all the brakes, the amount you get is prolly enough without any waste but who is THAT GOOD?

FRom www.brakecrafters.com: http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Though I'm sure the RRG didn't harm anything in you application. Years ago when I got my 83.5 VR I rebuilt the calipers as the bike had been sitting for ages....I don't remember where I got the kit (prolly partzilla) but those seals came with instructions and mentioned (I thought) the the grease was used to lube the cups and rubber but I wasn't sure but I dang sure followed the $%#@&*^% instructions! Now we all know! Oh yeah apparently you can buy RRG in 1 OZ. packs so you won't have it sitting around getting old and dirty. Ck. out the RRG website, very educational!

Thanks!

My previous advise was given based on my auto/big rig experience. I had not done any work on a motorcycle before getting Lucy 3 years ago. Truth be told, at the shop I work for, we don't rebuild the calipers as it is most often more cost effective to just replace them.

One of my coworkers uses loctite on brake bolts. I hate getting jobs where previous mechanics used the stuff. Makes it harder to get them out and often times leads to snapped/stripped bolts. I have never had a job come back when using anti-seize and proper torque specs.

I am not saying I am always right. I have been wrenching in one form or another for 22 years in a few different industries. One thing that has always been a constant is that everyone has their own set of "bad habits" and there are almost a dozen different ways to "do it the right way." I say follow the instructions provided with whatever you are working on.

My previous advise was given based on my auto/big rig experience. I had not done any work on a motorcycle before getting Lucy 3 years ago. Truth be told, at the shop I work for, we don't rebuild the calipers as it is most often more cost effective to just replace them.

One of my coworkers uses loctite on brake bolts. I hate getting jobs where previous mechanics used the stuff. Makes it harder to get them out and often times leads to snapped/stripped bolts. I have never had a job come back when using anti-seize and proper torque specs.

I am not saying I am always right. I have been wrenching in one form or another for 22 years in a few different industries. One thing that has always been a constant is that everyone has their own set of "bad habits" and there are almost a dozen different ways to "do it the right way." I say follow the instructions provided with whatever you are working on.

I been working on some sort of machine(s) all my life (I'm 62 now) and I have learned that it's always a good idea to consult the applicable technical data, even if i have done it before it's good to review. I have downloaded the VR service manual and can view it on my 60 TV/monitor out in my shop. Ya know suddenly all those horrible pics int he book aren't so horrible! Stuff changes, but conventional wisdom is still valid but like I mention stuff changes. I like to review so I'm Certain it's right, like tightening wheel bearings, with front wheel drive and front hubs so prevalent now who does that on a regular basis? Not many. We're here to learn and to teach each other and discover the old and the new! You will find in some tech data instructions for applying locktite or anti seize, THAT'S when I usually apply it.

Brakecrafters' Red Rubber grease is for caliper assembly, its compatible with brake fluid. Almost all manufacturers use thread locker and recommend that caliper bolts be replaced when the caliper is removed, because the thread locker they use is gauged to hold enough but not too much. I usually reuse the bolts but clean them and apply a small amount of blue Locktite. They come off pretty easy later.