IGNORED

Battery Questions Odyssey or Dekka ?

Now I know the Odyssey is a gel cell battery and it's a good one ..but I have a friend who runs a business that sells batteries ..generators ..and electrical stuff ....I was going to order a Odyssey from him in the spring but he mentioned I may want to look into this Dekka with new Absob Glass mat technology ..Now what I'm looking for is some opions on this ....

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/default.aspx?pageid=510

The above is the address to this place ....looks interesting ...I'd like to hear from you gents and thanks for all the replies in advance!!

The Odyessy Batteries are Advertised as " Dry Cell "

--- They can be shipped UPS and USPS because of this. ( They are Dry )

--- They can be mounted in any position except Upside down.

--- They are advertised, as Mil Spec.

------------Link to Odyessy Specifications PC-680 Size http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm

Note Cranking amps, compare this figure to the Deka you are considering buying, whatever that happens to be. ????

As to the Dekka, you mention, I don't know anything about them.

I have the Odyessy in Both of my Bikes now, so far no problem.

I have read that people are useing them in small Airplanes also.

--- I suggest you compare the Specification's of Both Brands, and Compare the spec sheets before you make you decission.

---- According to the spec sheets of the Odyessy, it puts out about 3 times the Cold Cranking Amps as a lead Acid battery. The Voltage runs from 12.4V at 40 percent charge, to 12.7 to 12.8 volts at full charge state.

---- The Odyessy, needs to be charged at full 4 to 6 Amp Charge rate, for 4 to 6 hours, No Trickle charge should be Used. This is according to their Spec sheet.

---- I have had them in one bike for about 18 months, and the other for 12 months. So Far, No problems !!!

Anyway thats my take on them.

The Instructions that come with the Odyessy batteries say to charge them at full rate, 4 to 6 Amps. At a steady charge rate until charged. They state to not use trickle charge.

Wether this will hurt them or not, I don't know. ???

I have only been useing the high charge rate. I did let one of them run down on the Suziki once, and it took about 4 hours at 4 amps to recharg it.

It's OK...take a look at the following link. The Battery Tenders will NOT charge a discharged Odyssey battery but it WILL work on a charged battery to prevent it from going down.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm

Here is the section that I am referring to:

There is another class of chargers that is designed specifically to maintain the battery in a high state of charge. These chargers, such as the 1.25 amp Battery Tender® from Deltran are not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery.

I'll also add this. The Battery Tender WILL top it off. There have been many times when I am working on the bike in the garage and have started it a few times, played the radio, etc. When I'm done I put the Battery Tender back on it and after a while, it shows topped off again.

I also said that I've used it for the past couple of winters but in fact, I pretty much keep the Battery Tender on it year round. When I come in from a ride, I just plug it in.

I'll also add this. The Battery Tender WILL top it off. There have been many times when I am working on the bike in the garage and have started it a few times, played the radio, etc. When I'm done I put the Battery Tender back on it and after a while, it shows topped off again.

I also said that I've used it for the past couple of winters but in fact, I pretty much keep the Battery Tender on it year round. When I come in from a ride, I just plug it in.

Don, have you rigged up some leads coming out from under your seat, or do you remove the seat every time you want to hook up the charger?

• 3 weeks later...

BOTH batteries mentioned are AGM (absorbed glass mat). Get the cheaper of the two. I currently have a Deka in RSTD, only because I got it in a bike trade (was installed NEW in my Victory, spring '06). I've gotten 7 years out of several conventional lead/acid batteries in the past. Hope the AGM's can top that.:080402gudl_prv:

Now I know the Odyssey is a gel cell battery and it's a good one ..but I have a friend who runs a business that sells batteries ..generators ..and electrical stuff ....I was going to order a Odyssey from him in the spring but he mentioned I may want to look into this Dekka with new Absob Glass mat technology ..Now what I'm looking for is some opions on this ....

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/default.aspx?pageid=510

The above is the address to this place ....looks interesting ...I'd like to hear from you gents and thanks for all the replies in advance!!

Sorry Bruce, but your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about. AGM's aren't new, they've been around for 15+ years now appearing in the early '90's, and Odyssey's are not gels. They are a dry battery. I suspect that they might be akin to a rechargable lithium, but don't quote me, and the Odyssey is the new kid on the block, not the other way around....

Don't want to get into an uphill urination contest here but.... :stirthepot: the Odyssey IS an AGM battery. They call it a "dry" battery and get away with it because as a sealed battery it is classified as "dry" when shipped UPS, FedEx etc. Rest assured, it DOES contain electrolyte. Absorbed Glass Mat, not to be confused with early "gel" batteries which had conventional plates and were the first "maintenance free" car batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Odyssey is a great battery with a tough case and a premium price. My street bikes batteries usually don't get beat like sled or ATV (physically).

Don't want to get into an uphill urination contest here but.... :stirthepot: the Odyssey IS an AGM battery. They call it a "dry" battery and get away with it because as a sealed battery it is classified as "dry" when shipped UPS, FedEx etc. Rest assured, it DOES contain electrolyte. (physically).

OK, no contest here Bruce, I'm always willing to learn. Where did you find out that the Odyssey was actually an AGM. I'd like to read the article, look at the test, or view the pics of an Odyssey cut in two maybe?? After asking West Coast directly if the batteries were indeed an AGM I was told that they were definately not. That's my source. Odyssey doesn't just refer to them as 'dry', but refers to them as a DryCell design. How do they get away with that?? Sounds like false advertising to me if what you're saying is true...

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/images/q.gifAre these a gel cell? What’s the difference?

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/images/a.gifNo, the ODYSSEY is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.

The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage!

• 1 month later...
I just put my new Odyssey battery in right out of the box and it works like a charm!

Bought it from GMan and he sent it priority mail.... Great price and fast delivery!:cool10:

Gary is a great guy!!! His G-Tank for the C90/LC1500 was just a great product. If I go with an Odyssey I will go with GMan as well.

FREEBIRD

You say

"It came with a pigtail that hooks to the battery and comes out from under the seat. Just park and plug it in to the charger. Works great."

I now have a Battery Tender. I take it it's a simple hook up, and there is no particular way to hooking up the pigtails to the battery other than correct polarity.?