IGNORED

Good deal?

Ronrico

If it needs nothing major and is decent I would consider that a good price. When I bought mine anything decent started around $2500, and I had to travel to go get it. Look closely at the plastics. check all the electrical systems and cruise. There is a buyers guide here somewhere. Having to catch up on maintainance can add up fast! Give her a ride, go through the gears, brakes, any leaks around engine or forks, any slop in steering head or swingarm. On center stand the brakes should work but no significant drag when released. 30 yr old calipers can bind and drag. If the bike has no service history assume you will flush brakes and clutch, repack head bearings and change the fork juice and oil/filter. Check date codes on tires. None of this is a deal breaker by any means but it should be budgeted for. If you can do some of these things yourself its great but a bike shop with an hourly rate and simple repairs/maint can get steep. I paid $2050 for mine and ended up putting another $1200-1500 or so in, doing all the work myself but I did some preventitave stuff and updates. Im sure I forgot some stuff that someone else can add. If your not sure then come back and let us know what your ride and inspection reveal. Sorry for the long answer to a short question but there are many things that can effect value and how much you have to do before you have a fully roadworthy scoot.

Yup! Depends on the condition, and how handy you are as it is, after all a 30 year old bike! If it is running decent enough and it stops ok then it should be well worth it! Check the date codes on the tires and if they are more than 6 years old then plan on replacing them!

If travel to Wisconsin is no issue then I have an '88 that is just about good to go. (I just have to put the clear coat on some new parts) If it were not for health issues, I would have been on it traveling across 4 states to MD right now.

For $1700 I would not expect a turn key bike, I'd expect it would need reconditioning. Go into it as a running project bike knowing you'll need to change the fluids, sync the carbs, lube all the parts, replace the tires/brakes/shock/clutch/fork oil, and adjust the valves.

Thanks all for the great advice and feedback. I was scared to pull the trigger on another bike, I'm pretty good with a wrench and would expect to do some work on a 30 year old bike. I'm new to these touring type bikes, usually stay closer to home with just an occasional long trip. I think I posted hoping somebody would say " stay the hell away from it !" LOL I pulled the trigger today though, not on the 87 but I found a 90 that I liked much more and for only $1200, rode it home today. I feel sick to my stomach for being so stupid and buying a bike I really didn't need, but I guess that's one of the many perks of being a man, being stupid. LOL Again thanks for the input. Guess I'll be paying my dues now and become a full fledged member.

839526-1526954173-123768.jpg

Aaaawwwww SNAP! You rode that home for twelve hundo and you feel anything other than excitement and anticipation? You did just fine my new brotha!! As you said, being a man entitles us to more than stupidity, that attribute knows no gender boundries. As a man you do not need to justify or take one oz of guff. You will find things to address, its an older bike, just the nature of the beast. You bought it right and know your way around a toolbox, your way ahead. So once you have her up to where shes ready, you must pack bag and hit the road for a long weekend to a scenic destination. These bikes handle great so twisty roads are fine. Its no CBR bit its pretty light on it's feet for a big ol tourer. These bikes shine on trips, its just liberating to glide across the plains and into the hills. After I got mine ready I headed across the Black Hills (home) into WY, down eastern WY into CO, then across and back up crom CO into NE, went through Scottsbluff and Kimbal, then N on the 71 through the grasslands and back into Hot Springs then home. 2 long days of mostly back and scenic roads. Heck, your not that far from just cutting up into WY and MT!! Awesome!!! This bike has the right stuff for **** like this and much more. Road trips to nowhere are an addiction for many of us and its just hard to find words to explain all the bike related wanderlust. Hell, ride it right here to the Black Hills, see Mt Rushmore and some of the best motorcycling known man. Im jazzed for ya!!!! Keep us posted on her needs and any questions that come up.