IGNORED

Rear Tire Blow Out!

luvmy40

The rear tire on The Beast blew out on my way home from the day job tonight! I knew the tires were older than I like but the tread was still good and they showed no signs of dry rot or cracking. Last month when I had the bags all off I checked the rear for tread wear and it was fine. 3 years, and about 2500 miles ago they looked brand new. The one thing I don't like about the Venture is not being able to see the rear tire at all. It was pitch black and I din't even try to see what happened. I'll dive into it tomorrow.

I hope I can find a tire locally in time to get her back on the road for MD. Dennis Kirk says I can have one delivered on Friday, but what time?

The rear tire on The Beast blew out on my way home from the day job tonight! I knew the tires were older than I like but the tread was still good and they showed no signs of dry rot or cracking. Last month when I had the bags all off I checked the rear for tread wear and it was fine. 3 years, and about 2500 miles ago they looked brand new. The one thing I don't like about the Venture is not being able to see the rear tire at all. It was pitch black and I din't even try to see what happened. I'll dive into it tomorrow.

I hope I can find a tire locally in time to get her back on the road for MD. Dennis Kirk says I can have one delivered on Friday, but what time?

Although some lop eared varmints don't seem to mind it 40,, I personally never really cared much for having blow outs on bike tires.. VERY glad you were able to ride er down to a safe conclusion and wishing you the best in getting your scoot back on her feet!!!

Although some lop eared varmints don't seem to mind it 40,, I personally never really cared much for having blow outs on bike tires.. VERY glad you were able to ride er down to a safe conclusion and wishing you the best in getting your scoot back on her feet!!!

It's not my favorite 2 wheeled activity either! I was very fortunate that I was only doing about 25 mph in a shallow turn when it popped. I've never had a high speed blowout on a bike on the road, I've had dirt bike tires blow many times.

When it blew out last night I heard the pop and instantly thought I'd thrown a rod or fragged a valve then the rear end squirelled up on me and it felt like I was riding through deep sand.

I limped her home as I was only 1000 yards from my driveway when it happened. Rolling about 1 mph and listening for metal scrapping.

BTW, On the lighter side, I got to use the four way flashers for the first time! I still thinks it's cool that these bikes have hazard flashers. I'd never owned a scooter that did before.

Edited by luvmy40

They may be 10 years old, they just don't have 10 years of miles on them. I'll check the date code today when I pull the wheel.

Wow, at least 10 years old, maybe older? You were just asking for it.

Better change that front tire too or RIP.

Wow, at least 10 years old, maybe older? You were just asking for it.

Better change that front tire too or RIP.

I highly doubt they were even close to 10 years old. I'm just saying I don't know how old they are/were. Like I said, when I bought the bike 3 years ago they still had the new tire stripes and nubbins. I just doubt they were actually brand new. They were probably laying around a shop somewhere for a few years before the PO put them on to sell the critter.

I actually just wore the rear out without keeping an eye on it. I'd have sworn it looked OK about a month ago it was worn flat and had fibers showing in several spots. It was just my stupid complacency.

Anyway, I got a new Shinko mounted, balanced and installed today, so I'll be at Freebird's Friday afternoon as planned.