IGNORED

Front Brake Rotor Pie Plates (covers)

pope3567

I've seen a few posts about removing the front rotor covers without issue. Made sense, less weight, looks better (IMHO), gives the bike a "lighter" look to the front end, etc. All well and good.

Servicing the bike today, wanted to replace front fork oil. Thought I'd take the opportunity to remove the pie plates. Left came off, no issues. Looked good. Removed the right...there is a large weight epoxied to the inside of the plate. Makes that side 3 or four times heavier than the left. Used to balance the wheel before (or after) the tire is mounted? Just a guess...

Am concerned now about handlling of the front end at speed. Going to re-balance the front wheel before remounting, but it is a concern nontheless.

Question: has anyone else removed their front rotor covers and found this?

20180412_140824.jpg

Took mine off because they were damaged and I like the look without them. Handles the same or maybe even a bit better in my opinion.

Haven’t been able to find the reason for having the weight but it’s not for balancing.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. Will get the wheel re-balanced and re-installed today, then give her a test ride and see how it goes.

Prepping for a 7000+ mile trip next month. Spring looks like it is finally arriving here in the PNW, or at least giving it the old college try. Time to take a page out of Puc's book of life and start chasing the front wheel...the joys of retirement!

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...removed the front rotor covers and have been "testing" the results. Have spent the last couple of weeks riding the freeway, two-lane twisties, city driving, etc.

Although I prefer the look of naked rotors, the difference in handling and overall "feel" of the front-end under various driving situations is for me uncomfortable. Steering and front-end stability, especially at freeway speeds feels loose. The front-end seems to want to wander a bit and be more sensitive to changes in road conditions. Transitions between surface types (i.e., concrete to asphalt, riding over patched roadway, etc.) causes the front-end to bounce and track differently. Here in Oregon, studded tires on cars are allowed from October to April. This causes ruts on the road surface, most notably on the freeway. The bike would bounce in and out of the ruts, and wobble more than l felt comfortable with.

I put the covers back on and rode a couple hundred miles yesterday. The front-end is much more stable and seems to stay in better contact with the roadway. Probably could have gotten used to riding without the covers on but it didn't seem worth it because of the poorer handling. Just my personal opinion, your results may vary.

One other observation. Without the covers the front brakes would "sing". I'm not talking about brake squeal. It was like the tone you hear when striking a tuning fork. Not totally unpleasant, and definitely noticeable. The covers seem to eliminate the tone.

Anyway, amazing how a few pounds of weight changes the handling characteristics so dramatically. And the centrifugal, rotational affect of the weight on the right side cover must be huge. If asked l would not recommend taking the covers off.

Just my humble opinion. Ride safe, be vigilant. > Ron

The best I have been able to figure is the weight is opposite the drive-shaft of the bike and it offsets the rotational "moment" force that would want to turn the bike to the left.

With that, I did remove them from my stock front wheel and noticed no ill effects. When I switched to the Stratoliner front wheel it came with an inset "doughnut" weight and leaves the rotors open. The bolt pattern is the same for both wheels and you could swap in the Stratoliner weight when removing the pie-plates.

2015-01-06 21.18.50.jpg

Thanks Bratman, best explanation I've heard and makes perfect sense. I'll probably try it again after getting a Strat weight. It really does make a difference having it on there.

That's a good looking Strat wheel. Is it a direct swap for the Venture 2nd gen front wheel?

Regards, Ron

• 3 weeks later...
The best I have been able to figure is the weight is opposite the drive-shaft of the bike and it offsets the rotational "moment" force that would want to turn the bike to the left.

With that, I did remove them from my stock front wheel and noticed no ill effects. When I switched to the Stratoliner front wheel it came with an inset "doughnut" weight and leaves the rotors open. The bolt pattern is the same for both wheels and you could swap in the Stratoliner weight when removing the pie-plates.

Hey Bratman, I'm interested in a front wheel like that for my 2002 Venture midnight, Can you provide more information as to how the wheel worked out for you. Is there a particular year of stratoliner I should look for that will fit directly onto my Venture.

Thanks

Direct swap with the exact same wheel spacers, full floating rotors on the stratoliner as well.

Sorry, I wrote before I saw this picture, forgive me I'm a newbee. Nice look, is that an 18" wheel? what size tire are you rocking on that wheel. Looks awesome.

Sorry, I wrote before I saw this picture, forgive me I'm a newbee. Nice look, is that an 18" wheel? what size tire are you rocking on that wheel. Looks awesome.

After a bit of research on the Stratoliner pages I ended up running a Michelin Pilot Active 130/70-18. Its actually a rear tire intended for older CB & KZ style UJM bikes. Run it in "reverse" rotation on the front and it has been a GREAT tire.