IGNORED

Quick clutch removal question

Hey guys! I got the Skydoc clutch upgrade kit and the shift roller upgrade. I need to take the clutch basket out to install the shift roller. Will the bigger housing for the clutch basket just come off after I get the inner basket off?? Also in the manual it says to replace the lock washer, which is this part 90215-25218-00

Here's a picture of the washer its part number 18. Do you guys think I can get away without replacing it??

Screenshot (3).jpg

The basket is held on by a nut. I wouldn't worry about a new washer, but you'll need some special tool to tighten the nut back on. Just sticking a screwdriver in the basket to keep it from turning is not healthy, unless you have another basket handy that needs a home. Don't ask me how I know this, it's top secret!! and yes, I thought I could do better than the instructions. You can make a tool yourself with some wood and nails. You will need to hold the basket from turning the engine isn't going to do that for you.

The basket is held on by a nut. I wouldn't worry about a new washer, but you'll need some special tool to tighten the nut back on. Just sticking a screwdriver in the basket to keep it from turning is not healthy, unless you have another basket handy that needs a home. Don't ask me how I know this, it's top secret!! and yes, I thought I could do better than the instructions. You can make a tool yourself with some wood and nails. You will need to hold the basket from turning the engine isn't going to do that for you.

I was thinking of buying longer bolts for the basket and a 2x4. Figured that would do the trick?

If you dont have a air gun, you can order the Clutch holder as they are available on the aftermarket. The Yamaha part # YM-91042 for the clutch holder. I did a google search and came up with multiple different ones. Motion Pro has one for $25 MSRP. Just letting you know they are out there.

Rick F.

Those washers can be safely re-used as long as you're bending fresh metal up against the flat of the nut. When you aren't able to do that then it's time for a new one.

Tim

Thank you! I appreciate the insight! I dont have it apart yet so ill take a close look at it when i take the basket off!