IGNORED

Sort of a Barn Find

Zzyzx

Sort of a Barn Find.

A few weeks ago buddy of mine gave me a lead on a Venture that had been stored for some 20 years. I was able to make contact with the owner and Patty and I drive over to North Carolina the next afternoon to take a look at it and were quite impressed at what we saw.

It was a 1984 Venture Royale Canadian model with just over 34,000 miles on it. There was sim fading but all the plastics were there and all in fairly good shape.

Apparently the original owner put the bike up in a climate controlled garage some 20 years ago then, five years ago that owner sold it to another gentleman who was looking for an easy project he could tweak and ride. A week after owner #2 purchased the bike his wife filed for divorce and kicked him out. The bike then sat covered in his buddies garage for the next five years until about six weeks ago when he traded it to owner #3 who doesn’t ride, so she put it up for sale. I guess you could say this bike is sort of a survivor barn find since it’s I such good shape for being nearly 34 years old.

I made a deal with owner 3 and purchased the bike that also came with a few unexpected extra accessories.

Along with the bike, which has a Corbin seat with rider backrest on it, we got the original factory seat in near new condition, a trailer hitch already installed, all the shop manuals, and a box with extra foot pegs, hwy pegs, and accessory mounts, some gaskets, a heavy duty cable lock, and a few other items.

What was missing thou were keys for the ignition and bags but... I found an old key in one of my old junk bags that work on the ignition and another that works on the saddle bags, tour pack, helmet locks and all the other locks.

It’s going to get some long overdue attention over the next few months and I hope if all goes according to plan to have it on the road by spring.

I will try to post progress pictures from time to time.

CB52F67C-4F2E-409A-A7EA-7D80B58312A7.jpgEE7B07EE-8C5B-4808-A449-1F43CAF987F0.jpg81945A61-385E-4F40-A91D-308A0175DB80.jpgC1CDAB2E-FB64-4D8B-8F40-33F091077E72.jpg0D0E027A-E1B9-416F-B1A5-1252080EFD4C.jpg

Nice find!!!

My only negative comment will be that you may find you don't like the Corbin seat as you will tend to slide forward on it but that is from my personal findings and pertinent only to me...

Good luck getting it running and on the road again! You may want to replace the front forks with MK2 ones and put on some R1/R6 calipers to help out with the stopping power. Don't worry about the go power, there is plenty of that with the MK1!!!

WOW!! Nice find. I know where there's a slightly melted US dash for that thing... :-) :thumbsup2:

You bet bud! Hoping to get the 83 back to what she looked like before the fire as well. That will be the next project. Don’t have the room you do but also don’t have as many scooters either 🤪😁

2D196CAF-102C-48B0-8739-DE252B09A6C8.jpg30389FEB-2607-4455-8605-B961918EBCBC.jpg

Nice find!!!

My only negative comment will be that you may find you don't like the Corbin seat as you will tend to slide forward on it but that is from my personal findings and pertinent only to me...

Good luck getting it running and on the road again! You may want to replace the front forks with MK2 ones and put on some R1/R6 calipers to help out with the stopping power. Don't worry about the go power, there is plenty of that with the MK1!!!

I still have my 83 with that front set up and I liked how it handled. Hope to get it back in the road again too. As for the seat having the stock one to use I can choose which one fits me best.

Thanks!

Ed, I may still have some of the plastic you need for your blonde! I'll check this spring if you can wait that long. I may have serviceable upper fairing pieces, dash pieces, and maybe turn signal lenses...
I would have interest in what ever Ed doesn't need. Mine's maroon but my parts are rough on the fairing and the side covers. And both saddlebags leak.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by s.tyler58

Ed, I may still have some of the plastic you need for your blonde! I'll check this spring if you can wait that long. I may have serviceable upper fairing pieces, dash pieces, and maybe turn signal lenses...

Thanks Bob!!!👍. I’m in no hurry until the 84 is on the road. Got my 99 back together

And have done a few long rides. Not the same nice bike you saw in St Charles but she’s a Venture and rides real nice.

Much appreciated.

The 99 as she is today.

70205063-9CE7-4B3A-AE17-6DD2F47AB9A2.jpg

I would have interest in what ever Ed doesn't need. Mine's maroon but my parts are rough on the fairing and the side covers. And both saddlebags leak.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The saddlebags on my 83 also leaked but I cured them by using screen spline rubber in place of the collapsed factory rubbers. A bit hard to do with the lid attached but it worked fine.

Be careful taking the old ones out and take a piece to Home Depot to match the size but one step bigger.

Ed, congrats on the find. I had a Corbin on my '84, but found it too hard after a few hours in the saddle. I went back to the stock saddle. I only wish I had a back rest with the external frame. Congrats again.

Thanks Bill. Hope all is well with you. Never made up your way as first planned but hope to do so soon.

Ride Safe!