IGNORED

question about tires

bikerjohn

I think a tubeless tire could be used with a tube because any trapped air between the tube and the inside of the tire after the tire sealed against the rim should escape at the valve stem hole since it won't be sealed with a tube stem. Just my opinion and you know the saying about opinions!

Have done it successfully many many times John.. Using a tubeless tire in a tube type application such as your talking is fine.. Personally I would never do so using a radial tire though,, to much side to side action on the side walls would probably cause issues.

Tell ya what,, hang on for a few minutes I am burning a video for you and your son explaining some of this stuff - I think you might enjoy it = I sure enjoyed making for you two!!!

While its burning,, tell your son to go ahead and get started on his tire swap while he is waiting LOL

Love you guys = my TEXAS HERO'S!!!

Puc

Speaking of radial tires with tubes, the first car tires that were sold in the USA that were radials to my knowledge were sold by Sears with their name on them but were made by Michelin. I bought 2 for my 65 Chevelle. They were tube type and had very thick tubes and the recommended air pressure was only 22 psig so they flexed a lot. I was wearing out new bias ply tires in 10 to 15k miles, recaps in 5k miles and these radials had 39k miles on them with about 1/3 of the tread left when I sold the car. The thickness of those tubes tend to make me think Puc is right when he recommended not putting a tube in a radial tire.

WOW I can't believe two jogs of memory in one thread.

First: the use of tubes in tubeless tires

I had a HD Ultra back in the 90s that got a flat and the option was either new tire or a tube. Took the tube :mo money: and all was well until a replacement tire was needed 8000 miles later. And to think my friend Puc went out and made a video to help someone.

Second:tubes in radial tires

Purchased a new 68 Ford XL :clap2: and took it to the Michelin store in Omaha and had new tires swapped. They didn't even keep the old tires. Told me I could keep them if I wanted. Driving that new car was an adventure since other drivers would flash lights and point at my wheels since they were flat looking. Wonderful handling over bias tire BUT due to the flex in the tires when I would turn corners occasionally my hubcaps would go rolling down the pavement.

Oh the memories, amazing what little it takes to bring them back.

:farmer:

Speaking of radial tires with tubes, the first car tires that were sold in the USA that were radials to my knowledge were sold by Sears with their name on them but were made by Michelin. I bought 2 for my 65 Chevelle. They were tube type and had very thick tubes and the recommended air pressure was only 22 psig so they flexed a lot. I was wearing out new bias ply tires in 10 to 15k miles, recaps in 5k miles and these radials had 39k miles on them with about 1/3 of the tread left when I sold the car. The thickness of those tubes tend to make me think Puc is right when he recommended not putting a tube in a radial tire.

From my 15 plus years of working with tires including on-farm tire service. I can safely say that you can use a tubeless tire with a tube.

Any trapped air between the tire and tube can be allowed to escape by airing the tire then removing the valve core to let the tube relax and airing it again. Wiggling the valve stem when the tire is only lightly inflated can help facilitate removal of trapped air.

Inflating and deflating the tire after installing a tube also allows any wrinkles in the tube to relax and almost always will eliminate them. Wrinkles in tubes case a crease that will eventually create a leak.

Puc makes some good points about radial tires and tubes.

As far as radial tires and tubes they do make tubes just for radial tires. Do not use a tube meant only for bias ply tires in a radial but you can use a radial tube in a bias tire. We used to only stock radial tubes; they are more expensive but because the work in both radial and bias tires we didn't have to stock as much inventory. It also kept the new guys from messing up.

Tube type tires must always use a tube because the carcass and bead are not designed to create a seal that will hold up to driving conditions, if the seal at all.