IGNORED

venture,evader

Predictable.Following goldwing,f6b,nomad,vaquero,electraglide,streetglide,even bmw is in the act with a bagger.I remember when the displacement war was on years ago.vtx 1800,vulcan 2000.triumph rocket. I dont understand this whole new trend.I really dont expect any of the other manufacturers to compete with goldwing or harley.Its their money. I wonder what they did with all the v4 engines, melt them down?

When I saw the video someone else linked I saw the one scene of the fellow riding by (the rest was leather clad harley look alike stuff) I thought WOW a Victory Magnum. OH wait they dont make those anymore. I like the idea of no trunk my self. I think I could pack more gear on my 900 Vulcan with soft bags and a luggage rack, then on the Venture or the XCT. But the boss likes the trunk for short trips and being able to toss helmets and stuff in there easily.

When I saw the video someone else linked I saw the one scene of the fellow riding by (the rest was leather clad harley look alike stuff) I thought WOW a Victory Magnum. OH wait they dont make those anymore. I like the idea of no trunk my self. I think I could pack more gear on my 900 Vulcan with soft bags and a luggage rack, then on the Venture or the XCT. But the boss likes the trunk for short trips and being able to toss helmets and stuff in there easily.

that was one of the things good about the 83.one twist of a key and the trunk or bags would come off.

Predictable.Following goldwing,f6b,nomad,vaquero,electraglide,streetglide,even bmw is in the act with a bagger.I remember when the displacement war was on years ago.vtx 1800,vulcan 2000.triumph rocket. I dont understand this whole new trend.I really dont expect any of the other manufacturers to compete with goldwing or harley.Its their money. I wonder what they did with all the v4 engines, melt them down?

If there were enough V4 buyers don't you think Yamaha would build one? The market place wants V-Twins right now. YOU may not want one, but their research indicates they would sell more V-Twins than V4's.

It's just business. Not personal.

If there were enough V4 buyers don't you think Yamaha would build one? The market place wants V-Twins right now. YOU may not want one, but their research indicates they would sell more V-Twins than V4's.

what do you mean when you said "YOU may not want one". I have owned 5 yamaha v 4s so far.I remember a black midnight venture sitting in the showroom at my favorite dealer years ago.i told the salesman i wish i could buy it.He said come back next year, it will still be sitting there, you can get it cheap then.I never understood why ventures did not sell well.I guess guys figured if they were going to spend $17,000 they might as well just buy a harley.

As I have said elseware. Yamahas lack of color choices, lack of improvements, lack of options, lack of service etc etc. probably played a negative roll in sales numbers. Do I see that changing with the new bike? No.

Mike

I believe all the way to the 2013 model yamaha had a cassette player.Its as though yamaha knew the bike wasnt selling so rather than invest and make much needed changes they just kept making them the same year after year.harley does the same thing, but i suppose since harley was first they can get away with it.Plus the showa forks,mikuni carbs somehow still meant it was an American motorcycle.The HD bikes have been around for 104 years? I can only imagine how much money it must have cost to take an existing engine and repackage it and promote it as an all new bike.If it fails they already had a warehouse full of engines and probably a flop could be a big tax write off.

Retro is in in my opinion.Bikes of yesteryear have not lost their fans and our fond memories of having owned them.Honda is using the term cb again, the new 2018 cb650 f is a bike I want.plus their cb1100 now has a kit to make it look like a cb750 for an extra 5 grand aftermarket.And now kawasaki is coming out with a replica of the might z900. I owned one of the 903 v twins.Nice but certainly no kz. One thing honda and yamaha know how to do better than anybody is make an inline four cylinder.harley hasnt a clue how to do that.The z800 z 900, yamahas faster sons are all lame in my opinion.We want the old bike with modern technology and performance. Like a 55 chevy with a modern v8, brakes, and suspension.Looks like the original but is much better. European bikes were bad in a consumer reports.ducati bmw and then triumph were the least reliable after 4 years of ownership in that report.But i would still love to own a new bonneville. So I hope the venture succeeds. Yamaha has certainly entered a market full of baggers and all of them are fast becoming the new UJMs.

Well at least Harley moved to fuel injection, updated their electronics several times, went to LED lights, and upgraded their engine more than once, etc. So there was some attempt to keep their motorcycles relevant. During that same time period the modifications to the Venture were nothing short of eye popping.

Mike

Very true. But most of the venturerider.org members own V4 Ventures and it seems normal to me that they would prefer a new V4 Venture. Stand by for more air cooled V-twin Gen 3 Venture slamming! :banana:

Very true. But most of the venturerider.org members own V4 Ventures and it seems normal to me that they would prefer a new V4 Venture. Stand by for more air cooled V-twin Gen 3 Venture slamming! :banana:

Hey, I get it. I've owned 2 previous Gen 2 Ventures and liked them. But as you yourself wrote in another thread "Yeah, many of us are "older" and we think hard before we spend that kind of money on a bike or anything else. I'm retired and even though I can afford a new truck or car, I keep my 15 yr old truck and my 12 yr old car. Same with the bike. I just can't rationalize spending that much money on a new bike."

Why would Yamaha or any other manufacturer bring out a new bike that appeals to a small group of potential buyers when one that appeals to a larger market was possible? They are in business to make money. It only makes sense to provide the product that they think will sell the most. They are not marketing to a demographic that won't spend money on a new motorcycle.

I am just glad a bike with the venture name exists.I imagine the concours owners felt the same.Bonneville owners are probably happy.Probably indian owners although the indian looks nothing like an indian except the fenders. Denny berg took a valkyrie and somehow made it weigh 498 pounds.I would like to do that with a venture.

Well I'm retired too. I can afford to buy what ever I want. But I'm not gonna by a $27k motorcycle regardless of who made it. But in 3-4 years I will look for one of these used. It handles great, feels lighter than the RSV, it is even smoother than the RSV. And let's face it, the gen one out handles the gen two hands down. I've ridden every type of motorcycle you can name and a bunch you can't. I didn't like the v twin air cooled either. But after riding it, I do.

and as someone said earlier, its business nothing personal.

Hey, I get it. I've owned 2 previous Gen 2 Ventures and liked them. But as you yourself wrote in another thread "Yeah, many of us are "older" and we think hard before we spend that kind of money on a bike or anything else. I'm retired and even though I can afford a new truck or car, I keep my 15 yr old truck and my 12 yr old car. Same with the bike. I just can't rationalize spending that much money on a new bike."

Why would Yamaha or any other manufacturer bring out a new bike that appeals to a small group of potential buyers when one that appeals to a larger market was possible? They are in business to make money. It only makes sense to provide the product that they think will sell the most. They are not marketing to a demographic that won't spend money on a new motorcycle.

Well, I hope their research is correct and they sell enough Ventures to make some money. But I highly doubt it. Victory just bit the dust.

I am also a degreed engineer and an air cooled 963lb touring bike makes no sense to me from an engineering standpoint. If it was water cooled, I could understand it better because it wouldn't overheat in traffic. An air cooled engine will overheat in stop and go traffic. The touring bikes that I think I might like are the Goldwing, BMW R1200RT, and the BMW K1600 GTL. Even the BMW R bike is water cooled now starting in 2014 from what I read. It used to be called an air head. Then I think 1995, they added oil cooling and it was called an oil head. Now, it is water cooled.

And I love my old truck. It is a top of the line 4x4 model and it performs great. I have no reason to trade it. Same for the Magnum Hemi. It's as much fun to drive now as it was when I bought it. I don't feel that way about my motorcycles. I have been looking for a good while for another bike that I would like more. So far, I've only test ridden a Goldwing of the ones I think I would like and I loved it. One may be in my future. An air cooled any kind of bike will not be in my future. Perhaps after I get the kinks ironed out of my 89 Venture, I will like it more. But the time I have spent riding it didn't impress me like that Goldwing.

F6B, I just noticed you live in the Villages. I hope you aren't affected by Irma. Now they are saying it will be a Cat 1 when it gets to Georgia! I lived in Homossassa for about a year in 2008 while working at the now defunct Crystal River Nuclear Plant. I liked that area. I would have liked to move there but for the wife. She thought the shopping malls were too far away.