IGNORED

RSV Shock Absorber Assembly Repair

Being semi-retired has given me the time to work on some of the projects I’ve been thinking about for a few years. One of these projects is the RSV Shock Absorber Assembly. I have developed a procedure to disassemble the unit without damaging the external or internal parts. Upon examination of the internals I believe we can disassemble a leaking unit, repair the leak and successfully recharge the system with shock oil. I’m requesting the assistance of one (or more) of our members that may have a recently failed shock. If a member could provide me with a unit I would like to attempt to repair and recharge it for them. After my attempted repair I would like to test the unit on my RSV for a couple of weeks. If the failed shock wasn’t abused after it began to fail I’m pretty sure this repair will work. PM me for shipping information and any questions you may have. If you would like to donate a shock I would be happy to pay the freight. Thanks, Fitz

Disassembled RSV Shock Assembly.jpg

Edited by dfitzbiz
Will pay freight!! Added pic.

Being semi-retired has given me the time to work on some of the projects I’ve been thinking about for a few years. One of these projects is the RSV Shock Absorber Assembly. I have developed a procedure to disassemble the unit without damaging the external or internal parts. Upon examination of the internals I believe we can disassemble a leaking unit, repair the leak and successfully recharge the system with shock oil. I’m requesting the assistance of one (or more) of our members that may have a recently failed shock. If a member could provide me with a unit I would like to attempt to repair and recharge it for them. After my attempted repair I would like to test the unit on my RSV for a couple of weeks. If the failed shock wasn’t abused after it began to fail I’m pretty sure this repair will work. PM me for shipping information and any questions you may have. If you would like to donate a shock I would be happy to pay the freight. Thanks, Fitz
Hey Fitz! I have a failed shock from a 2005 RSTD. If you want it to try to fix I'll give it to you. I will probably need one as I currently have a 2008 RSV. So maybe a deal can be struck if you are successful?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am waiting for a hagon shock from another member here, but once I get that and pull the old one, I will send it out to you.

you can rebuild and test away, then if you send it back, I can put it thru a real test, since I do about 30K a year,

shouldn't take too long to figure out if its going to fail with the roads around here.. but,

if you can figure this out and get it working, it sure would help a lot of people, and save them some $$$..

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I'll be in contact with with those who have a shock to offer. I'll report my progress to the forum as we move forward. Looking forward to the challenge.

so you have a way to put new chrome on the shaft that wears thin and takes out the oil seal???

so you have a way to put new chrome on the shaft that wears thin and takes out the oil seal???
EUSA, thanks for asking. Yes, I do have a chrome plating shop that I work with on an occasional basis but the issue with a leaking shock isn't a leaking shaft seal. The canister of the shock assembly is simply an air adjustable cylinder and a reservoir that holds oil for the fluid friction shock absorber mounted inside the heavy coil spring. The shock absorber itself has 2 ports located near the bottom. These ports are for the intake and outlet of oil. When to much oil leaks from the assembly the shock sucks air and your Venture rides like a pogo stick. When the assembly leaks on your floor it's oil leaking from an "O" ring, not a seal on a chrome shaft. That's why I want to attempt to replace the "O" ring, seal the assembly, recharge with shock oil, cycle the assembly to recharge the shock and test for results. There is no guarantee that this will work but from what I found during the disassembly process I believe we will have a better than 50% chance of extending the life of most of our shocks. Only time will tell and I will keep all advised of my progress.

EUSA, thanks for asking. Yes, I do have a chrome plating shop that I work with on an occasional basis but the issue with a leaking shock isn't a leaking shaft seal. The canister of the shock assembly is simply an air adjustable cylinder and a reservoir that holds oil for the fluid friction shock absorber mounted inside the heavy coil spring. The shock absorber itself has 2 ports located near the bottom. These ports are for the intake and outlet of oil. When to much oil leaks from the assembly the shock sucks air and your Venture rides like a pogo stick. When the assembly leaks on your floor it's oil leaking from an "O" ring, not a seal on a chrome shaft. That's why I want to attempt to replace the "O" ring, seal the assembly, recharge with shock oil, cycle the assembly to recharge the shock and test for results. There is no guarantee that this will work but from what I found during the disassembly process I believe we will have a better than 50% chance of extending the life of most of our shocks. Only time will tell and I will keep all advised of my progress.

well i will be the first guy in line to buy your fix if you figure out a cost effective way to fix a factory shock.

i have had 5 fail over the last 230,000 miles and upon inspection of every one of them i found the poorly chromed shaft had worn through the chrome to bare steel and the bare steel rusted and the rust tore out the shaft seal.

but i would be happy to see your new found information after you dicect a 2nd gen shock or two. Let me know if you need another failed shock, i have a few.

well i will be the first guy in line to buy your fix if you figure out a cost effective way to fix a factory shock.

i have had 5 fail over the last 230,000 miles and upon inspection of every one of them i found the poorly chromed shaft had worn through the chrome to bare steel and the bare steel rusted and the rust tore out the shaft seal.

but i would be happy to see your new found information after you dicect a 2nd gen shock or two. Let me know if you need another failed shock, i have a few.

EUSA1, Please take a look at the attached pic and let me know which part had the failed seal. I'm thinking it may have been number 4. In my case the shaft was perfect (until I put the vice grips on it to disassemble it, a step I didn't need to do to make the repair.). The opposite end is threaded and spun to keep the bottom clevis from being removed (only a temporary inconvenience to a talented fool). Thanks again for your input and keep it coming, the more info we can gather the more successful we can be. I will pm you with my contact info.

Disassembled RSV Shock Assembly Numbers.jpg

I'm sure that you guys know this but for anybody who doesn't. There is a big difference between decorative chrome that you see on bumpers, handlebars, etc. and hard chrome that is used on machine and industrial parts. I'm sure that the chrome on the shock is hard chrome. Not just any chrome plating shop can do that.

I'm sure that you guys know this but for anybody who doesn't. There is a big difference between decorative chrome that you see on bumpers, handlebars, etc. and hard chrome that is used on machine and industrial parts. I'm sure that the chrome on the shock is hard chrome. Not just any chrome plating shop can do that.

You hit that one right on the head Freebird. I managed a hydraulic repair facility early in my career and in my position as a business advisor I've built relationships with several hydraulic cylinder manufacturers and repair facilities. I understand the show chrome/hard chrome difference. The repair process I'm developing won't require any re-chroming, just a simple "O" ring replacement as I mentioned above. I've only had an opportunity to dismantle one shock personally and I have only seen the cut away view of the inside of a shock posted by Rick Butler. I'm pretty sure the fix will work in the defects I saw in both cases. If a shaft is worn and pitted it won't work and I wouldn't even attempt it. Thanks for the input, keep it coming. The more info the better!

Back in its prototype days, the swash plate actuators for the V-22 Osprey had an issue with the plating on the center-shaft which was causing leakage UNDER the plating! The plating would develop flaws and the oil would literally seep under the plating and some out in another area. Of course, the 5000psi operating pressure had something to do with that! We replaced a lot of shafts on the test birds with new process plating shafts via recall...

• 1 month later...