IGNORED

DIY swamp cooler

videoarizona

Decided to make a little swamp cooler for use in garage. Saw this little design on you tube.

Uses a 2x3, Harbor Freight pump ($8), some screen material, 12 wood screws, 2ft of 1/2 inch pvc and two 90 degree elbows, hose bib and cap. Drill 1/8 holes in pvc.. About every 1/2 inch. The media is 2 courses of cooler media. And a window box for the water. Entire thing costs around $60.

I epoxied the drain holes in window box, built frame, used roofing rype nails to hold screen on frame.

Fun stuff...

20170701_150906.jpg

20170701_150919.jpg

20170701_150952.jpg

Once epoxy has cured, I'll throw pump in box, add water then set a 20 inch box fan on one side. Turn everything on and enjoy cool air. At least it will be cooler than typical Arizona heat!

Btw, this will only work when the dew point is below 55 degrees. Any more than that, the air is to saturated to cool much.

Should do a good job. Nice work. I can remember when I was a kid, before A/C became popular, we had the swamp coolers in our houses in Texas. I was born and raised in NE Texas and it was always pretty humid. Those things put so much more humidity in the air that there was no way to raise a window in the house. :)

Yep,, here in the humidity its gotta be air conditioning - part of the cooling process of conditioning the air is the removal the humidity.. Out in the dry regions adding moisture to the air is manditory...

Had a friend who I helped move from California to here.. While I was out there with the Semi picking up some of his families belongings he had me stop and pick up a great big swamp cooler for his new garage back here in Michigan.. I tried to explain,, didnt work,, had to do it his way... Sure didnt take long for the ways in the bed of his lathe to completely rust over...

TOTALLY AWESOME job there David:clap2:!!!!!! I ever get to the part of my bucket list where it reads "enough with this snow already - MOVE WEST PUC" I may have to call on you brother for some swamp cooler :thumbsup:mentoring!!

Ya know,, even though the Swamp Cooler deal really has no application here in soppin wet Michigan air,,, looking more at those pics,,, THAT right there is a work of art to be admired.. You are my kind of a lop eared creative varmint Vaz - definitely a job well done!! THANK YOU for sharing it with us!!

:lightbulb: we should see if we could talk our club Pres into setting up an "Imagineering Award" thingy like we got for long distance travel or helping each other - you guys gotta know what I am talking about? If we had such a thing I would nominate Vaz right now for this one!!!!!:thumbsup:

That is really cool... Yeah pun intended... :-) Before we moved north to Sacramento we had a place down in Visalia. Hot and dry. Everyone had a swamp cooler. Then the humidity started getting higher.. Think it was from all the irrigation. Trying to sleep when it's 100+ at 1am was a killer. So glad we had AC when we moved here. Just a little side story. 2 years ago I finally replaced our AC. It was installed in 1959... and still ran!! Just not very well. The new one is awesome!! :thumbsup2: :snow2: