IGNORED

SENA Speaker mod

djh3

SO we have had our SENA SMH10 for I dunno maybe year and half or so. My biggest complaint is the sound quality of the speakers, especially with music. So I have looked at you tube and on the net for mods. Some of the mods I have seen recommend a Panasonic headset and a couple a sony, dont have the numbers handy rite now. But have any of you all done this mod and does it help? One of the videos say to stay with the same ohm rating. What if I go with some rated @ less ohm resistance? Will they be louder? The SENA are allegedly 32ohm.

I read up on some mods today. One fellow changed to some old J&M speakers from a GW set up he had. But the speakers he had listed I could not find anywhere on the site. I looked at a couple of the speakers they do have and for like $40 ea I think there may be better options. Some called an X3 or something are high dollar, over $100 I think maybe for my helmet I'm just going to go with the 3.5mm jack so I can run ear buds when I want good sound, and maybe just use the speakers already installed around town etc. May have to think about the wifes for awhile before I do something.

I looked at a couple of the speakers they do have and for like $40 ea I think there may be better options.

With the last bike I had Scala bluetooth headsets but again didn't like the speakers and ended up re-wiring them with a 3.5mm plug and usually ran with reasonably inexpensive ear-buds. You might want to rewire with a plug vs hard-wired for long term possibilities to swap different speakers.

I do agree with you that J&M is very proud of their offerings. Like anything when you market a specific segment (motorcycle) you charge a premium where as general mass-market products are usually equivalent at much better prices. How many people have upgraded their fairing speakers with marine grade vs buying motorcycle grade...

Agreed with above that J&M charges a premium...... But here is why.

Twice this year I've walked in with not working, out of warrantee items...a speaker/mic helmet set and a cord that adapts the headset to the Venture. In the first case, they tested and said the speaker set worked fine but upgraded my mic to a better noise reduction one. The second case they tested the cable and replaced it with a new one.

I was out the door, smiling, in less than ten minutes...

No charge for either situation.

For that kind of service... I'm happy to pay more.....

My .02$

I was out the door, smiling, in less than ten minutes...

No charge for either situation.

For that kind of service... I'm happy to pay more.....

While I agree in 99% of the situations, when going rogue and modifying something warranties are usually out the window.

Well for now, I think I'm going to go with the addition of a 3.5mm switching connector. I'll have to open the unit, solder a couple wires up and mount this thing. But it will allow speakers to work if I chose to use those, or plug in earbuds and use those. I have been looking @ 40mm drivers (speakers) replacement types for like Bose headsets. I can get those for about $20-25 a pair. The size would make them same diameter as the SENA's.

On a side note, did you guys know Radio Shack has closed their brick and mortar stores.

Didn't know about Radio Shack, but it makes sense. They lost their direction when they dropped most of the electronics that made then famous. Thanks for the info, Dion.

As mentioned before, i bought the Edsets adapter that I plug in to the 5 pin cable for my ear buds. I like Etymotic Research ear buds as they offer passive noise reduction as well as good sounds. That way my helmet speakers are always on and the earbuds too. Plus, I can use​ the 3.5 mm jack as an input too.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html,

GRRR Thought I would update the firmware of the SENA SMH10. So I plug one of the units in and the software says there is an update from the 2.4 or whatever version I currently had. So updated to newest version. Then connected to SENA unit did whatever was needed, then it tells me something like the unit is not compatible with the update. Went thru this a couple times and cant get them to update. So I'll just leave them the hell alone. What a PIA.