IGNORED

Proper spark gap

What are you guys, gapping your plugs at? The manual says .031-.035 , but I saw online somewhere, .038-.042...... I know I should follow the manual, but being a new royal star owner, though I'd gather opinions.

Following the manual is rarely wrong. The bigger the gap the more intense the spark which also requires more power. As components age it is possible for more resistance and less output delivered to the plug. My preference has always been .035 for no other reason than why mess with something that isn't broken.

Following the manual is rarely wrong. The bigger the gap the more intense the spark which also requires more power. As components age it is possible for more resistance and less output delivered to the plug. My preference has always been .035 for no other reason than why mess with something that isn't broken.

Got ya. I changed mine last weekend, and have them at .039. I am going to pull them back out tomorrow and regap at .035 I believe.

Keep in mind the the bigger the gap, the later the timing, not a whole lot mind you, but then at 5000 fires per minute there is not a whole lot of time between them.

I'm not really sure if this actually comes into play or if it does have any effect. At 1800rpm the plug would fire 30 times per second, I would say just looking at it that would be constant.