IGNORED

Air Filter Question... This can't be normal

Guest reddogut

Guest reddogut

I took apart the air breather today to see if the filter was clean and I found this disgusting sticky syrupy substance all over the air filter and air breather case. See the pictures...

This isn't normal is it?

-Mike

Well, Check the clamps that hold the Air Cleaner Box to the Top of the carb.

Check carefully the Breather hose that runs from the bottom of the box, make sure its properly connected to the breather intake ports, between the front and rear Cylinder.

Clean it up and start over.

If bike was running OK, I would not worry about it.

Also, when you Refill your crankcase with new, OIL, be sure you do not OVERFILL,

With bike on Center Stand and level, fill to 1/2 way up the Sight Glass.

Put in 3 Qts, then run engine to fill your new filter, then fill to the proper level. If you put in the quantiy called out in the service manual, it will be above the sight glass.

Don't fill over, 1/2 way up the sight glass.

Can't be coming from the crankcase breather since it is OUTSIDE the filter.

I agree it is probably the oil used to treat the filter. Lots of companies that make those foam filters over-oil them from the factory, and owners do the same.

That is why I like K&N, I find it easier to oil it properly, and a K&N properly oiled will never put oil in the airbox, or down the air path.

Almost every oiled foam filter I have tried (and I am an Amsoil dealer and they have some pretty good oiled fitlers) will mess up the filter box to some degree.

You're not using 2 stroke air filter oil on that thing, are you? That's what the purple looks like, thought I was looking in the filter box for my old Yammi IT400 dirt bike there for a second. Oh, wait a minute, it's only got 1 carb!!!!!!!!!

Dan:rotf:

I get a similar thing but its more like green snot than what you picture. I thought I had some pix posted here from last year but I can't find them now.

The vaguely petrolium smelling snot doesn't come up as high as my OEM air filter, but remains down in the bottom of the box, well below the level of the carb intake rubbers. It seems to emmanate from the PCV breather tube that enters the aft end of the airbox at the centre line. (IE immediately in front of your crotch.)

I was quite alarmed at first, wisdom here had it that I had a blown head gasket letting coolant into the oil. Trouble is that there is no evidence of coolant in the oil when I drain it at oil changes and the bike goes like stink! Other than loosing some coolant to parts unknown, she seems to run fine. I don't think I have a gasket problem.

I have wiped it clean a few times but it comes back. I conclude it comes up from the oval breather device down in the V between the cylinders as a sort of frothy residue of the crank case breather process. My manual documents this device very poorly so I don't really know what goes on in there. Have been tempted to buy one on ebay to dismantle but prefer just riding the old gal.

Basically I am ignoring this issue till some other symptoms show up that I can add to the diagnostic mix. I am writing off the regular coolant top ups as a cost of doing business. That attitude got me through last year and she's still going strong (knock wood).

If I find those pix, I'll post them.

Hope this helps.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

I conclude it comes up from the oval breather device down in the V between the cylinders as a sort of frothy residue of the crank case breather process.

This is true. The oval piece has passages for the coolant as well. I would suspect that the O-rings that seal this device may be leaking small amounts of coolant and this is where you're getting the contamination in the blow by.

From my expererences on my 83 over 60k miles,this is normal.I finally went to a paper filter it helped somewhat.The oil from a foam filter eventally runs to the bottom an gets a bit messy.I found a cheaper alturnative to the K-N filter from Bike Bandit.I thank it is EMGO brand.Hope to see all you Texas riders at the Stampeed.Thats my neck of the woods.Mark.