IGNORED

The metamorphose of a 84 Venture into an AD-Venture Bike

Spokane Dave, Would you give us a review of your motorcyle lift. It looks like a great tool to have! Thanks!

Well - I can tell ya = It is one hell of a tool !!

While I am still refusing to grow old - Getting old sucks and the knees and hips just don't like working / whallering on / at or just above ground level

20160426_203706.jpg

Your not going to believe the deal I got . . . .

Found slightly used on local Craigslist and picked up the package for $350

Air Controlled - foot operation / can be run off a pancake compressor

Sold by an outfit in Northern Idaho

Deck raises from about 5" to 31"

Came with Table - Wheel Vice - Ramp - Removable plate for rear tire removal - Side Extensions (not on in pics) so you can put quads / rider mowers / razrs etc on it - and it comes with a table length extension (Not Pictured) for those victory vision riders or other bikes that are ridiculously long - and finally a low profile table / scissor jack.

It has been a body saver thats for sure

SO your saying there is another way to restrict the air restriction issues simply with a brass plug in the carb inlet port?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108587

Carb is sideways in pic, but "As Seen" there is #5 ports (Like a clock dial) for ease - lets say 12 -2 -4 -6- 9 which port is it you are talking about, and correct me if I am misunderstanding, but you claim is by altering that port size eliminates the need to restrict airflow as zagger did with the washers in the airfilters?

IIRC its the 2 O'clock in the pic, I did mine awhile back so it's fuzzy, I'm happy to pull the lid off my Vmax and snap a pic when I'm done with my work shifts next week. Here is a link from his site with mention to it. These are made specifically to solve the exact issue your having with the pods. Email Sean and let him know what your up to, he not only has the parts but vast knowledge on these V4s.

http://www.morleysmuscle.com/how-tos/installing-jet-kit/

Some other reading on jet kits and carb tweaks from the Vmax forum, much of it specific to his kits, you may find some useful info there as well. He did tell me that float settings for the Venture are identical to the Vmax which is also touched on in this thread. They come from the factory a touch rich.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7754

Well - I can tell ya = It is one hell of a tool !!

While I am still refusing to grow old - Getting old sucks and the knees and hips just don't like working / whallering on / at or just above ground level

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108588

Your not going to believe the deal I got . . . .

Found slightly used on local Craigslist and picked up the package for $350

Air Controlled - foot operation / can be run off a pancake compressor

Sold by an outfit in Northern Idaho

Deck raises from about 5" to 31"

Came with Table - Wheel Vice - Ramp - Removable plate for rear tire removal - Side Extensions (not on in pics) so you can put quads / rider mowers / razrs etc on it - and it comes with a table length extension (Not Pictured) for those victory vision riders or other bikes that are ridiculously long - and finally a low profile table / scissor jack.

It has been a body saver thats for sure

Wow! You got a great deal on that lift!!!

I am on base with that mentality, and the minute I realized where the fuel cell was and how low center of gravity was / was when the AD-VENTURE dualsport theory came to mind. I might mention I love Railing forest service roads on the KLR at 60+, so this thing is going to be my rendition of a solo rider 1200 ad-venture bike.

:think: So where under the trans did you put the batt :think:

Dave,

I used a sealed Odyssey PC545MJ battery (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc545_series.htm) which lays on its side on top of a hinged metal rack. With the front of the rack resting on the floor, I strap the battery to the rack (the rack is designed to fit closely around the battery to prevent it from sliding around) and attach the cables. Then I lift the front of the rack up until I can thread in the two bolts which hold it up (located on each side). I used two existing threaded attachment points on the side of the bike frame but you could weld on whatever you like. When the battery is sitting on the frame under the bike (under the transmission section) it is flush with the bottom of the bike frame and cannot be seen without peering up under the bike. I used the metal jacketed version of the battery simply to add a little protection from road debris, rocks, whatever. Moving a heavy item like the battery to a very low mounting spot from the stock location where is sits up high does help to lower the overall CG.

zag

IIRC its the 2 O'clock in the pic, I did mine awhile back so it's fuzzy, I'm happy to pull the lid off my Vmax and snap a pic when I'm done with my work shifts next week. Here is a link from his site with mention to it. These are made specifically to solve the exact issue your having with the pods. Email Sean and let him know what your up to, he not only has the parts but vast knowledge on these V4s.

http://www.morleysmuscle.com/how-tos/installing-jet-kit/

Some other reading on jet kits and carb tweaks from the Vmax forum, much of it specific to his kits, you may find some useful info there as well. He did tell me that float settings for the Venture are identical to the Vmax which is also touched on in this thread. They come from the factory a touch rich.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7754

FYI: The morleysmuscle link seems to have a problem.

Edited by zagger

"The right side however is a different story. There is a plate with peg mounted to it for braking that will be removed with the markland system - Does the right footpeg bracket and peg just bolt in where the plate and peg is in the picture?"

My '85 had floorboards and I discovered that my they cramped my ankles after a bit. I replaced the front floorboards with these adjustable driver footpegs found on ebay:

RFootpag Mar2012 013 (Large).jpg

"6. I see the front forks have what appear to be anti fork dive system is this what this is ?

I see where the back brake applies the rear and front left brakes, and the front applies the right front.

I made an attempt to bleed these when bleeding the brake system with a vacuum bleeder but it did not appear to bring any fluid out?

Am i Missing something?"

My '85 has Progressive fork springs. I have de-linked my brakes and disconnected the anti-dive devices by simply removing the hoses. I have also reduced the weight of my '85, probably not as much as you will be doing to yours. Unlike many others here, I think the stock, de-linked brakes on my Gen1 Mk1 work fine. This conclusion is based on comparing my modified '85 VR to my '99 ZX11D Ninja.

There is a thread somewhere that talks about fabricating a plate for the top of the anti-dive device that will allow you to adjust damping.

manual adjuster front view a.jpg

Edited by GaryZ

Well been snowing to beat hell hear all day so figured it was a good time to get to the valves.

Every stickin one is tight, so glad I checked them :cool10:

Now. . . I either need to make, buy or borrow a valve shim removal tool - hate to buy it to use once :bang head: so If I cant find one from a local buddy I might have to make one.

Here are the measurements from the valves if anyone is interested :confused24:

IMG_0422.jpg

I did find removing the needed feeler gauges from the pack and adding a slight bend did help in checking them properly

IMG_0423.jpg

I did remove the floorboards and forward crash bars / highway pegs, and will be selling them as a set along with the heel shifter and rear brake footpeg.

Bike looks much better, and lighter with them off :happy65:

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Left peg bracket is there just waiting for me to make some custom pegs

IMG_0429.jpg

However, as mentioned prior - there is NO bracket for the right side to even mount a peg to what so ever, so I think I need the stock mount only minus the peg:think:

IMG_0426.jpg

Hey Gary - can ya post a pic of the right side footpeg "bracket" - is it stock ?

I think I will wait to ride test the combo brake system and see how it is, but most likely will be separating the front from rear as I am a big fan of skid steering :biker:

This looks interesting and I will have to look into the mod more when the time comes as the anti dive sounds like a good feature

Especially where I plan on AD-Venturing to

attachment.php?attachmentid=108610&stc=1&d=1488906564

Curious as to why to remove the anti dive system?

Is it faulty or ?

I probably have the parts laying around to separate the front / rear brake system

If you look a the picture - the rear portion you see on the shifter does in fact come off and goes with the Markland set.

Been looking at pics online but not that familiar with this bike in particular so lacking in confidence as to what is needed to get the pegs back to stock

well yes it is faulty and if you put Progressive Springs in the forks you won't n ed them anyway. Removing the anti dives and delinking the brakes makes them ever so much easier to bleed and the work a whole lot better. Besides with anti dives gone and the brakes delinked you can add R6 calipers and have a real stopper.

BTW sorry to take so long to answer you I haven't been here for a couple of days.

• 1 month later...

Hello. . . ALL

Life got crazy = Family - Got Sick - Dealing with persistent Thieves

Finally got some spare time to make a Valve Shim tool out of a 7/8" end wrench so I could figure out where am with shims I have and shims I need

A 5 point box end wrench would have worked better, but this was simple to make and was the proper width / thickness

IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Have my own way of working the numbers on a valve job, but all reaches the same info - Beings I raised two daughters and the wife is a teacher - we have a plethora of colored pencils and they helped keep this easy to decipher.

IMG_0649.jpg

Black Measurement top of circle is actual gap / Green is gap after new shim

Red numbers are installed shims / Green are shims needed - Color coordination was to group re-usable shims and ones needed

IMG_0650.jpg

Out of 16 shims I am able to reuse #4 - #2 will stay the same, so I need to buy #1 0 total #4 2.85 / #4 2.65 / #1 2.80 / #1 2.60

Leaving an excess of 25mm shims #2 2.90 / #3 2.88 / #2 2.75 / #2 2.70

Tried to give the local shop business (always do), but unfortunately they are severely lacking in customer service skills, so alas I will be ordering them online.

Stay tuned = the saga continues = as soon as I get my shims i get to fire the old girl up again :witch_brew:

Edited by Spokane Dave

Those are primarily for MK1, '83 to '85, but they could be made to fit MK2 I believe. You should probably keep your front crash bars and take the highway boards off of them, as the stock bars DO protect the bike especially when it accidently gets dropped...

I may be interested in them, I have a set on my '84 but yours look to be in a little better condition than mine!

• 2 weeks later...
Those are primarily for MK1, '83 to '85, but they could be made to fit MK2 I believe. You should probably keep your front crash bars and take the highway boards off of them, as the stock bars DO protect the bike especially when it accidently gets dropped...

I may be interested in them, I have a set on my '84 but yours look to be in a little better condition than mine!

Hey Bob

I am in the design stage of making some outrageous custom front crashbars that may get me pulled over, but will be worth the occasional LEO inquiry = (Think dummy Machine guns and strings of dummy bullets) (will post pics as they evolve), so that being said . . . I am going to sell the whole floorboard package.

Make me an offer I cannot refuse . . . . . I'll pull the eBay ad if the price is acceptable, and you can pay me via paypal, as there is no need for ebay fee's if sold via the forum.

"Click" Here is the ad so you can see detailed pictures

Edited by Spokane Dave