IGNORED

Aftermarket TCI unit, From regulatorrectifier.com

I never planned to buy those but couldn't resist. I need something to do with my time as I continue to try and quit smoking. You all probably thinking so you buy carbs that you know need to be rebuilt and cleaned to try and quit smoking, but they say Idle hands are the Devils play ground!!! I guess we dodged a bullet last night Prayers up for those who were hit by the Tornadoes. Now off to bed I go have a good night and ride safe everyone!

Received and email back from technical support,

Hello,

We got a hold of him via email.

"We have never tested the Improved TCI with COPS. So I can't tell if it will work or not.

I know that we have experienced problems when there are is no 5k Ohm resistance in the caps or the plugs.

The settings (maps) in the new TCI are optimized with no restrictions (full power) so no need to change that I think....

We can change if a customer likes us to do that but they will have to tell us at which rpm he wants less or more spark advantage. Its is not flashable"

Best Regards

If I remember correctly you can get resistored COPS.....

Received and email back from technical support,

Hello,

We got a hold of him via email.

"We have never tested the Improved TCI with COPS. So I can't tell if it will work or not.

I know that we have experienced problems when there are is no 5k Ohm resistance in the caps or the plugs.

The settings (maps) in the new TCI are optimized with no restrictions (full power) so no need to change that I think....

We can change if a customer likes us to do that but they will have to tell us at which rpm he wants less or more spark advantage. Its is not flashable"

Best Regards

If I remember correctly you can get resistored COPS.....

You can add resistors to your cops, or buy them from any seller willing to solder in some resistors into the harness. I'm unaware of COPs that have integral resistors but that sure doesn't mean they dont exist. :detective:

I think COPS vary in low side resistance from 1.2 -.1.5 ohm - ish. So if factory is 3.0 ohms it's just a little math to find the right resistor to work with the OEM TCI. Some of the earlier TCIs, and maybe others, wont tolerate lower resistance in the coil primary circuit, something about the added current burning them up IIRC, maybe even over time. I'll be sitting down to make my COP harness in the next couple days, I dont expect it will take more than an hour or so. I have some spare 1.5ohm resistors I wont be needing.

I am pretty intent on keeping my bike as much stock for as long as I can, minus LED 💡, I just like to fiddle with things, I went ahead and took the plugged vacuum from the spare set of carbs and put it on mine... Now correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the 83 the only one with that vacuum line on the carbs? Because these carbs were supposed to be from an 85 venture. Also I need the choke link rod how would I search that on ebay? Can't seem to find one anywhere.

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Well 10 days in to having the new box, I had to go to Joplin today. So went out fired Tinker up let her warm a bit, and off I went. Wind was blowing a good 15-25 mph on the way up. I took Gateway Drive up to Joplin also known as Hwy 71 full of curves and hills to the final leg which is straight, BORING!!!! I went most of the trip in 5th gear at around 60-65mph climbing hills twist the throttle and I would start climbing the hill and in the dash with ease even with headwinds. So yet I am curious as to where its getting its advance and its performance curve. On side note not craving a cancer stick like I was at this time yesterday. Had a couple puffs yesterday but so far today I haven't so once I start saving money not buying cigarettes I will start the carburetor rebuild, With all the OEM parts I can get. The reason behind that is because those parts are well a little pricey, and just trying to prove a point to myself and I will bet by this summer in July or so I will have them completely rebuilt with the money I save from not smoking. Now I return you to your regular scheduled programming.

Ride Safe Everyone

Good motivation for not smoking!

I'm gonna start smoking and then quit, so I'll have some money for parts! :whistling:

I did get a chance to hook up the Ignitech TCI. The bike started right up, but I have several problems to solve before riding it. (Probably carb cleaning and new diaphragms.)

Good motivation for not smoking!

I'm gonna start smoking and then quit, so I'll have some money for parts! :whistling:

I did get a chance to hook up the Ignitech TCI. The bike started right up, but I have several problems to solve before riding it. (Probably carb cleaning and new diaphragms.)

well I have had maybe a pack this past week, I usually smoke $35-40 a week... I started taken chantex last month, it says to stop smoking within a week then it says try withing 35 days. The cravings are just about gone, but after coughing up crap everytime I get sick and seeing @cowpuc talk about his ordeal with colapsed lung and playing with some gross black stuff. Pretty close to the brown crap that comes up when I am sick was motivation enuff for me plus a sick sick commercial right before Cowpucs description. Plus cigarettes just jumped another 20cents a pack I can not bring myself to pay premium prices for a pack crappy cigs. I original started smoking marlboro's once they hit 2.00 a pack I moved to cheaper and got GPC said if they ever hit 2 bucks a pack I would quit, well needless to say I kept moving down the scale to cigs I could stand. But a series of events tells me it is not worth paying $3.00 a day to die quicker....

:sign yeah that:

I quit cold turkey in 1986...when my 4 year old complained to me about the smell....and I ran out of packs on the day before I should have.

Was easy to do since I was mad enough! That's all it took for me.

Go for it my friend. You will be much happier (and have more bux in pocket too) in the long run.

I will say I thought the chantix commercials were hogwash, but 3rd day in and I went for a walk in the park, could smell things I haven't been able to for a long time. Stuff seems to taste different, better even. Guess it makes a difference when you don't have an ashtray in your mouth. I actually climbed the stairs this morning at the school without coughing and hacking. Didn't feel like I would pass out either!!! Anyways here is something from some of your past that sits on a pedestal at the park. 6db4baae2a86f19ad2b9653884d86d49.jpg

Well its now been 5 days no 🚬, the taste that was in my mouth is all about gone. Yesterday I was looking for places to do a permanent transplant of the ignition box. Still seems to run out good so put my old stock tic box in an electronics zip bag and wrapped with paper put it in a box and taped the box up!! Stuck in my saddle bag. Got 3 or warranty on the new one so might as well keep using it. I unplugged the vacuum advance connector and tucked the vacuum hose up.

I unplugged the vacuum advance connector and tucked the vacuum hose up.

Hope you plugged up the hose so you don't leak vacuum? You did do this, right? OK...good...thought so!

Grins!

I am pretty intent on keeping my bike as much stock for as long as I can, minus LED 💡, I just like to fiddle with things, I went ahead and took the plugged vacuum from the spare set of carbs and put it on mine... Now correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't the 83 the only one with that vacuum line on the carbs? Because these carbs were supposed to be from an 85 venture. Also I need the choke link rod how would I search that on ebay? Can't seem to find one anywhere.

Yeah well um I think that was done a week or so ago 6 days... No 🚬

Weekly update still running the box and everything is still working fine. 13 days now with no 🚬!!! Will go to 3 month updates. So hopefully will remain updates.

Another update while I was tinkering around and what not. Moved the TCI Box to the inside of right side inner fairing beside the glove box. Mounted it IN there with to screws.

• 3 months later...

Well 3 month update, I still have not smoked.... ok as far as the TCI box from regulatorrectifier.com It is now underneath my glove box or beside it on the inner fairing been running with it there for quite sometime. As of right now my drive way has caused my exaust to leak where it goes into the collector on the back side, so got a lovely popping noise going on. For the most part I think for someone just needing a plug and play box this would be the best way to go, unless they were upgrading to COPS and such. I am happy with it now to just put in my spare set of carbs that will be my next project but right now I have just been too busy trying to find a place to move, CTFWing I am right at 1,200 miles on the Kenda Kruz and they are doing me wonders to. Of course I have chicken strips on them because there really isn't much for good curves where I ride but I have laid over on Tinker a few times going into some turns and very few curves, I am impressed by the way they feel. I do think I did hear a slight hum last night at around 75-80 but I am gonna attribute that to the Tread on the tires still. Also found out today in the truck where I was experiencing the weeve I was having some fun in the Tahoe with that same issue trying to hold it in my lane without moving the wheel to keep it straight.... just glad I don't have a donut or else I would have had some real fun. Well I guess I will dig this up in another 6 months but I am going to assume this box is still gonna be performing up to par. On side note I am real glad I had the led in my bike the other night seen 4 deer in seperate spots along side the road and one took that leap, if I had not had them lights I would have had a deer in my lap or been bikejacked by a deer.....:Avatars_Gee_George:

Well 3 month update, I still have not smoked.... Also found out today in the truck where I was experiencing the weeve I was having some fun in the Tahoe with that same issue trying to hold it in my lane without moving the wheel to keep it straight.... just glad I don't have a donut or else I would have had some real fun...:Avatars_Gee_George:

Congrats!

What was the Tahoe weave problem/ solution. I have a Yukon xl and same issue.....

~has caused my exaust to leak where it goes into the collector on the back side, so got a lovely popping noise going on~

Glad to here its going well with the not smoking.

I m picking up my new Marks collector tomorrow from my US shipping address and will take pics. My 86 has a leaky collector too mostly from rust so I can't wait to get this on.

Glad to here its going well with the not smoking.

I m picking up my new Marks collector tomorrow from my US shipping address and will take pics. My 86 has a leaky collector too mostly from rust so I can't wait to get this on.

hey where is this marks collector? I may need one lol there is no way drive way hits that collector its probably the kickstand I hear hit....

• 7 months later...

Well dug this out of a hat, Bike still going on that TCI, Thinking of ordering one and sending to the computer GURU and see if he can figure it out and maybe see if there is a way to change programming and such. I will also be trying resistorless cops in it. Correct me if I am wrong I read somewhere that the cops are 2ohm, and the spark plugs are another 4ohms so that would be 6 ohms...