IGNORED

My home theater receiver lost it's smoke!

ragtop69gs

Glad you like it. Wait til you get the Atmos set up, the sound field will blow you away. I have the front presence speakers on top of my wall unit. Front & center, surrounds all set at ear level and love the atmos tracks on many blu-ray disks. I have started playing with streaming movies from my pc and so far have had a steep learning curve trying to get everything working properly .

All said, I very happy with the 7810.

The bad side of this is it's got me wanting to add more channels to the Atmos setup which will be EXPENSIVE! I've maxed out the number of useable channels and now want more! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Atmos will wait for now. Need better speakers for surround.

Streaming....I can stream with Win 7 and MP11, but XP had me stumped. So i am going to look into the small Seagate NAS. The simple single disc is 3Tb.... And will connect either wired or wireless. That way the puter can be sleeping and I can still share tunes and such. About $140. Heard Best Buy may have some. I don't need a raid, just a simple file sharing unit.

As far as more channels, I'm thinking of using the secondary part of the amp for remote speakers. Using Yamahas wireless system. As I can afford the speakers, I can populate the bedroom, garage and back patio... Then simply turn on the ones I want to listen to. One set at a time.

I'm really impressed with that Yamaha......

Oh.... Playing with the Android remote ap for the yamaha is a hoot! You can do just about anything you want from another room and it works! Add to that, my daughter can walk into room, change the input to bluetooth and send her songs right to the amp from her phone. She's tickled over that.... Does drive dad nuts though!!

About the time this thread started I replaced my defective Yamaha with a 7.1 onkyo, lower end but does sound great. WPC between 105 and 75 is not audible, its loud enough to induce pain either way. My play room is sized so that 5.2 works fine but wanna try atmos later, not a high priority. 75 WPC for the fronts is so crazy loud and clear that for the subs to keep up at full tilt I feed them with an external 6000 watt amp split between two 18" sealed subs. I thought I was going overkill on the subs but it turned out to be a great match with the towers. When I went to the local shop and listened to different recievers I could really hear no difference between different brands and power levels, with possible exception of the Anthem maybe being slightly cleaner than the others, the margin so narrow that it could have been in my head. I was told to ignore the WPC spec when shopping and I feel that was sound guidance. Its insane how much 75 WPC can produce with mids-highs and how much sub it takes to match that. I figure by the time I go Atmos I may build 2 more subs. I miss the old days of the Kenwood 5way 15" speakers and a tube-clad Marantz. Simplicity an era gone by. My next purchase is going to be a tube amp for the fronts for 2ch music.

Nonetheless the Onkyo interface is vastly improved from older versions and it sounds great, upscales 4k great for the reasonable price tag. My yamaha fell way short of a decade and the same for the Pioneer before it, I may try an entry level Anthem next time if this Onkyo doesnt make 10 years.

I hope the new unit serves you well, glad you got it all sorted out.

About the time this thread started I replaced my defective Yamaha with a 7.1 onkyo, lower end but does sound great. WPC between 105 and 75 is not audible, its loud enough to induce pain either way. My play room is sized so that 5.2 works fine but wanna try atmos later, not a high priority. 75 WPC for the fronts is so crazy loud and clear that for the subs to keep up at full tilt I feed them with an external 6000 watt amp split between two 18" sealed subs. I thought I was going overkill on the subs but it turned out to be a great match with the towers. When I went to the local shop and listened to different recievers I could really hear no difference between different brands and power levels, with possible exception of the Anthem maybe being slightly cleaner than the others, the margin so narrow that it could have been in my head. I was told to ignore the WPC spec when shopping and I feel that was sound guidance. Its insane how much 75 WPC can produce with mids-highs and how much sub it takes to match that. I figure by the time I go Atmos I may build 2 more subs. I miss the old days of the Kenwood 5way 15" speakers and a tube-clad Marantz. Simplicity an era gone by. My next purchase is going to be a tube amp for the fronts for 2ch music.

Nonetheless the Onkyo interface is vastly improved from older versions and it sounds great, upscales 4k great for the reasonable price tag. My yamaha fell way short of a decade and the same for the Pioneer before it, I may try an entry level Anthem next time if this Onkyo doesnt make 10 years.

I hope the new unit serves you well, glad you got it all sorted out.

I have to agree with you, my old LR9090 paired to some old infinity towers ,blows away the dead Onkyo and the new yamaha for 2 channel stereo music

I have to agree with you, my old LR9090 paired to some old infinity towers ,blows away the dead Onkyo and the new yamaha for 2 channel stereo music

I had a friend that picked up a couple mono tube amps on the cheap, said they were about 20 watts each so not quite the sound pressure and volume of the 120 WPC of his AVR bit sound quality that was warm and rich compared to a high end AVR. I was impressed by the comparison and would now like to find a tube amp. I recall my old stuff and how sweet it sounded, I find the AVRs to sound great but maybe a touch artificial or to bright. The AVR is perfectly fine for HT and vid games, but music is different, I know a few folks that have different speakers for 2ch. Old Infinities are awesome. I still lay awake at night and think about a pair of the Infinity Reference Standard V. Its hard to find the words to describe how badly I want a set of those.

Tube amps are not cheap but how cool to recapture the fullness of my older setups. One day ill find one in a box at a garage sale or something. The old systems generally didnt compare in terms of deep violent bass response/volumes but tubes give a quality and signature that I really enjoy. Ill leave my amp alone for the subs but really wanna try using the AVR as a preamp and amping the fronts with an old McIntosh or something.

Look up a shop in West Bloomfield, Mi. called Ecotopia, they have wall to wall ,floor to ceiling vintage stereo equipment and may have what you want. I have a mid 60's Eico tube amp & tuner my uncle built, I need to find a few tubes for.

I had a friend that picked up a couple mono tube amps on the cheap, said they were about 20 watts each so not quite the sound pressure and volume of the 120 WPC of his AVR bit sound quality that was warm and rich compared to a high end AVR. I was impressed by the comparison and would now like to find a tube amp. I recall my old stuff and how sweet it sounded, I find the AVRs to sound great but maybe a touch artificial or to bright. The AVR is perfectly fine for HT and vid games, but music is different, I know a few folks that have different speakers for 2ch. Old Infinities are awesome. I still lay awake at night and think about a pair of the Infinity Reference Standard V. Its hard to find the words to describe how badly I want a set of those.

Tube amps are not cheap but how cool to recapture the fullness of my older setups. One day ill find one in a box at a garage sale or something. The old systems generally didnt compare in terms of deep violent bass response/volumes but tubes give a quality and signature that I really enjoy. Ill leave my amp alone for the subs but really wanna try using the AVR as a preamp and amping the fronts with an old McIntosh or something.

To show you how far back I go, I still have some of my Dynaco gear. I love the tube preamp. My Dynaco 70 tube amp was stolen a number of years ago. Wish I had it back. Those Dynaco kits were superb!y clean. And yes, I built my own. Still have 4 kits..all work.

If you can find an original amp, you can get Svetlana tubes for them. Russian and very clean. I think that's the name...

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Svetlana

Not much dampening on a tube amp, but I'll trade that of for the warm sound.

What am I talking about, my hearing is about gone so what can I really hear!!!???!!!

Edited by videoarizona

To show you how far back I go, I still have some of my Dynaco gear. I love the tube preamp. My Dynaco 70 tube amp was stolen a number of years ago. Wish I had it back. Those Dynaco kits were superb!y clean. And yes, I built my own. Still have 4 kits..all work.

If you can find an original amp, you can get Svetlana tubes for them. Russian and very clean. I think that's the name...

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Svetlana

Not much dampening on a tube amp, but I'll trade that of for the warm sound.

What am I talking about, my hearing is about gone so what can I really hear!!!???!!!

Thats like Heathkit? Stepdad has a couple pieces somewhere. Very cool stuff, I would love to find an old new stock kit. Im still a jr audiophile and learning but it's my understanding that different speakers react very differently to low or high damping factor. I have wierd speakers, they were kits that I assembled and finished myself, took a chance on them based on reviews, they blow away the Klipsch towers and Polks I auditioned first in both SQ and sheer brain splitting volume, all while keeping perfect composure. What I dont know is how to hey might react with valves and a low damping factor. They are designed to be crossed at 80 and used with subs so the 8" woofers are more midbass while the subwoofers (also came in kit form) take care of under 80. Not sure if that will effect it but I would be using the tubes only over 80.

Once I put it all together I was floored by the SQ, I feel like a box of valves would improve it even more but not sure at what point in freq the damping factor has the biggest effect.

Thats like Heathkit? Stepdad has a couple pieces somewhere. Very cool stuff, I would love to find an old new stock kit. Im still a jr audiophile and learning but it's my understanding that different speakers react very differently to low or high damping factor. I have wierd speakers, they were kits that I assembled and finished myself, took a chance on them based on reviews, they blow away the Klipsch towers and Polks I auditioned first in both SQ and sheer brain splitting volume, all while keeping perfect composure. What I dont know is how to hey might react with valves and a low damping factor. They are designed to be crossed at 80 and used with subs so the 8" woofers are more midbass while the subwoofers (also came in kit form) take care of under 80. Not sure if that will effect it but I would be using the tubes only over 80.

Once I put it all together I was floored by the SQ, I feel like a box of valves would improve it even more but not sure at what point in freq the damping factor has the biggest effect.

Yes... Similar to Heathkit. Except Heathkit made all sorts of electronic kits, while Dynaco made only very good quality stereo stuff. David Hafner was a brilliant audio engineer. My Dynaco 120 transistor amp kit blew away a Marantz 120 that was 4 times the price in a Cambridge, Mass independent lab test. My Pat 4 preamp did the same. I built both. Still have the Pat 4... Works.

Damping only affects the ability of the amp to pull the speaker cone back after each signal pulse, if you will. An open cabinet design speaker is more in need of high damping then a closed Port or tuned port system. Simply because it has nothing to control the cone but the amp. So only way to tell is to test. If your ears are really good, you will hear a muddy bass instead of a crisp thump, thump!

Maybe you can find some tests on line, or drop by a stereo place and ask if you can bring in your speakers to test. Ie, all for their help. Who knows, might get lucky and find someone who would like to help.