IGNORED

Calling electrical gurus

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey silly question what are you going to do with that wiring now that its all off.

Welllllll

Im going to eliminate stuff I don't want...going to shorten the runs in between relays .. re-run my own wire for most of it, and then make a box to hide the relays.

Thats why I said nevermind lol after seeing the mess it is in at the moment I am probably gonna order one off ebay and see what we really have to have on these bikes and cut back on the rest.
I think you will find that unless you are removing "unnecessary" components like sound system, CLASS and safety relays you will need all the wires that came with the Venture. Having said that, doing a re-wire with larger gauge wire will likely be beneficial since Yamaha used the minimum size that would work....for a while. A re-wire would also have the advantage of replacing possibly worn out insulation.

Hard to say whether re-wiring would actually be worth the effort. Adding relays to reduce the load on switches would probably be a better course of action unless the OEM wiring is in bad condition.

IMHO 12 gauge is for the most part overkill...

Larger gauge wire is only for increased current handling capacity. For the "safety" circuitry the current draw is very minimal. Increasing the wire size does absolutely nothing but take up more room. What a component draws for current is what it draws period! Larger wire diameter does NOT make it draw any more current!

Larger gauge wire is only for increased current handling capacity. For the "safety" circuitry the current draw is very minimal. Increasing the wire size does absolutely nothing but take up more room. What a component draws for current is what it draws period! Larger wire diameter does NOT make it draw any more current!

I got a great deal on amazon for 12 gauge wire so I bought some!!

heres a good question for you, is there a way to eliminate the computer?

If you do let us know how you did it because well, it is expensive trying to replace it. It is the thing that tells your bike what to do and when to do it. Unless your talking about the one up front and you won't need it if your doing all your lights and other stuff, but will suck for you if you dont watch miles closely.

Yes, 12 ga is mostly too large except for ground wires. My preference is 14 ga.

Quite so for the most part but it should be noted that current running through a smaller wire will create more heat. When the size of wire is initially barely adequate then any corrosion or kinking or squishing will draw more amps and create more heat or even cause a voltage drop. For example the often given advice to put in a 10 ga or larger wire to the starter. I replaced that wire on my 90 due to hesitant starting but my 89 is still OEM and has never "yet" had a pause when starting.

My favourite for replacing most wire is 14 ga just because I can buy a big roll of it for less than small batches of smaller wire. Mostly what I have done with it is on added relays to shorten the run of the OEM wiring and relieve the switches at the same time. Not talking about safety circuits here.

If you are referring to the TCI then in a word, NOPE! If you mean the CMU then Yup! All it does is monitor fuel level, oil level, the kickstand status, battery acid level, etc. There is no way, on the other hand, to get spark without the Ignition module and of course the crankcase monitoring sensor or pick up coils as well as the MAP sensor which is referred to as the "Boost Sensor. You can, however, use an aftermarket ignition module that will do the same as the stock one. One of the favorites here is the Ignitech unit which is computer programmable...