IGNORED

Been a rough couple of days here in the Southeast US.

GAWildKat

First, Mike and I are fine. The storms never got too bad here in Macon. However the news in South Central and Southwest Georgia is not good. At least 15 people have died between Saturday night and Sunday evening between Albany Ga to a bit North of Valdosta Ga from tornadoes that swept through the area between Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I know at least 2 ppl died in Mississippi, and not sure of the state of Alabama. We are having extremely unusual weather for winter here. This is more like April/May weather. Hoping everyone on the forums is safe. Please let us know if you live in the storm areas that you are safe.

Tricia

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

We have had the warmest January I can remember here in east TN and it is again supposed to be in the mid 60's today, but winter is coming back after today. We will be going from about 15 to 20 degrees above normal to about 15 degrees below normal. Monday, while coming back from NW SC, we saw a red bud tree that was fully budded out.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you all the best.

Randy

Our local news did a story on an 60 something year old woman that hid in the bathtub and everything was leveled to the floor. When she looked up out of the tub she was in the woods a long way from where the house was. She just had a couple bumps and bruises.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/01/24/a-woman-flew-through-a-tornado-in-a-bathtub-and-survived/

Yup, I heard about that story. Saturday the sirens went off in Mike's and my neighborhood, we still aren't sure why. The nearest tornado was 25miles away and was headed away from us at that moment. We were both prepped to hit bathtubs with cats and pray, because that's about all you can do.

Houses without basements are very rare around here. I often forget that many other parts of the country basements are a rarity. Under the basement steps is the best place to be unless you have an actual storm shelter. If you have no choice but to be above ground, they say the bathtub is the next best place. Hopefully it is a cast iron one and not plastic.

Ours in the current rental are cast iron. When we buy it's one of the planned upgrades in the future home if we don't already have them in the home. I hate a plastic tub myself. And they don't hold up long term imho. The few basements here locally are usually daylight basements.