IGNORED

Radio and cb question

On my 08 RSV/Hannigan trike when I use my cb near some high voltage power lines I get what sounds like a very loud bug zapper through my headset that won't turn down or squelch out, all I can do is turn it off. It seems to be mainly in town,I don't hear it much out in the country. Also I'm getting engine noise through the headsets,it's not terrible but I do notice it. I was wondering if anyone else had these noises and had come up with a fix. I have already talked to the local J&M dealer and he had no ideas other than possibly a bad ground! Also I don't notice the engine noise through the external speakers. Thanks in advance for your help!

If the noise associated with the high power lines is always in the same location relative to the power line, it may be a bad insulator on the power line it self, that will cause arcing and create a phenomenon called Partial Discharge that results in a radio wave like signal being created, the CB may be picking that up. Back in the day when I worked the power line crew at the mines, we would drive around with the radio on AM sweep the tuner up and down while and listen for static at each power pole, that would tell us if we had a busted insulator on the pole top. Later in my career while doing development work on a high voltage underwater connector that needed to be Partial Discharge (PD) quiet and not having the sophisticated equipment needed to properly test for PD, I used the old linesman's trick with my portable AM radio I kept in the shop and was able to get the unit PD quiet so we could get it to a test lab for a proper test, the PHD at the test lab was amazed how well it did and even more so when I told him what I used to detect the PD in my shop.

Long story short, it may not be a problem with your CB at all.

I have noticed on mine, with the cb on, when I honk my horn, the noise comes through the headsets. But only with the cb on.

I noticed that today also! I got a chance to ride by myself today and tried different settings on the stereo and noticed if I turned the IC volume down I didn't pick up the engine noise.

Edited by Kybigmac

The intercom (IC) is an always on device. With the IC volume up it will pick up engine and road noise through the mic. The noise is amplified and sent to the headset or speakers. I use this when I am trying to sort out unusual noises.

Mike

Just a little update! I turned the squelch up to 20 on the CB and only get a slight buzz when I go by high voltage lines and then just occasionally. It is something I can live with now.

This is the first bike I have had with a CB and it is taking some getting used to. Being able to talk to other riders while riding is nice tho. This stereo/cb is a nice unit, but takes some practice and trial and error to figure out how everything works!

Thx again for all the advice!

Just a little update! I turned the squelch up to 20 on the CB and only get a slight buzz when I go by high voltage lines and then just occasionally. It is something I can live with now.

This is the first bike I have had with a CB and it is taking some getting used to. Being able to talk to other riders while riding is nice tho. This stereo/cb is a nice unit, but takes some practice and trial and error to figure out how everything works!

Thx again for all the advice!

Yea the squelch is like the spring on a screen door. It controls how much pressure is needed to open the door. But once open all the little buggers can get in. It should be set high enough so every little stray noise doesn't interrupt your radio.

Mike

Yea the squelch is like the spring on a screen door. It controls how much pressure is needed to open the door. But once open all the little buggers can get in. It should be set high enough so every little stray noise doesn't interrupt your radio.

I like that description!