IGNORED

best tool to polish metal

tntviper1

first strip the clear with paint stripper (the nasty stuff) ventilate, skin protection.

Dico wheels are are much better than sand paper especially for complex shapes, they come in three "grits"

Gray 80

Orange 120

Blue 240

https://www.amazon.com/Dico-541-784-4-Nyalox-Wheel-4-Inch/dp/B00004YYD9

I like a 4" wheel, chucked in a variable speed electric drill, start with a blue. the others work for deep corrosion but the scratches they make are deep also. You have to be a bit careful they can round off sharp edges.

Then black buffing compound on a sisal wheel.

wipe part with rag or paper towel and mineral spirits the grit in the buff is held in a wax base the mineral spirits removes the wax and coarse grit

finish with white compound on a cotton buff.

repeat wipe with mineral spirits.

If you are doing alot a bench or pedistal buffer minimum 3/4 horse. wear face and breathinng protection. this is messy work.

This will get you to a finish that will wow em for all but "show quality" work.

40 year old "barn find" after a little "rubbing"

resto spacers 001.JPG

Edited by gggGary

While gggGary 's method is probably a more "professional" approach, I simply mounted a buffing wheel on my electric drill, stuck it in the vise (it's case is designed for that), locked it in full speed and used Solval Autosol.

I took each piece off the engine, cleaned off the clear coating, and went at it with the buffing wheel using liberal amounts of the Autosol, taking care not to "burn" the stuff. After a good "buffing" with that I'd change to a clean buffing wheel and polish off any Autosol film left. My engine covers came out like chrome. That was my procedure in a "nutshell"; however, this takes some practice and I've had lots before I tackled my '85.

Buffing Wheel