IGNORED

Clutch making noise in neutral.

What you hear might not be the clutch. When it's in neutral with the clutch out half the transmission also spinning. What kind of sound do you hear?

My wife had a Shadow that made a knocking noise idling in neutral. Wouldn't happen in gear or with the clutch pulled. I eventually reached the conclusion that it was probably gear dogs rattling.

In any case the noise probably isn't an indication of the oil condition. Personally I'd change the oil just because you really have no idea how long it's been in there.

Yup!! What Carl said!

As long as you have a really low profile drain pan, it should be no issue changing oil on the kickstand, but, put a 2 x 4 under the kickstand so that the bike sets almost level so the oil drains completely. With the bike tilted the corner or side of the pan is lower than the drain plug and there will be a small quantity of oil that can't drain.

My personal preference when changing oil, the bike needs to set at least 8 hours before draining so ALL the oil is on the pan and not still in the upper parts of the motor. I like to let it drain for several hours so that all the gooey stuff on the bottom of the pan has a chance to ooze out. Not that there is anything wrong with just draining until it sort of stops dripping, I just like to get as much stuff out as I can...

Yup what they both said.

You also do not know what kind or quality of is in there.

What kind of noise are you hearing?

I think that the one half of the transmission is always spinning whether the clutch is in or out. that is why you get the small clunk when you put it in gear, that is the engine side suddenly coming to a complete stop.

Got home from work. Put into neutral. Can hear clutch spinning. Pull in clutch no noise. Time for oil change? Put about 1000 miles since purchase from dealer. Thoughts? And how hard is it do without a lift

Had same situation

When I released the clutch slowly it would make noise, If I let the clutch snap out no noise

It's not grinding....Just found it odd that is was still spinning....never heard it before, but I did not have my radio volume up. Guess I need to learn some more things about the bike/bikes. My 06 Roadliner did not sound like that. Plan on changing the oil soon....since I have a Cummings diesel I have have plenty of Rotella T6. Just need to find the right size Wix filter.....anyone know the number off hand? Before I offend anyone, or start a flame war, I use Wix on everything so that is what I'm sticking with.