IGNORED

Vexing problem

Sailor

My 02 Venture has a problem. I think it involves the kick stand cutout switch. When I go to start the bike I have it in neutral and the clutch lever in and kick stand up. I turn on the ignition and there is nothing. Turning the ignition on and off does nothing. Moving the kick stand up and down will sometimes get the dashboard to light up but when I hit the ignition it all goes dead again. If I keep moving the kick stand it will eventually allow the bike to start. I have got under the bike but can find no loose connections. Any suggestions? Taking it to a dealer means taking a ferry and riding to Ladysmith and leaving it for a time which means I need to arrange a ride home then go back to get it.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Also thinking you can test the kickstand switch by unplugging it and jumpering the leads together if you want to check it,,, been a while since I had kickstand switch problems AND I have no clue about the 2nd Gens (never owned one - all my experience has been with the 1st Gens) - if memory serves me correctly there are 3 leads in the terminal and you gotta jumper all of em together, might be wise to take a peek at a scheematic and see if that is correct:think:. If you do this though - PLEASE BE WARNED - your scoot will start and run with the kickstand down which can be down right dangerous!!

Ok, now this is getting stupid. It started out nuts and is getting worse. I don't want to take it in until after the Santa ride because it always seems to take a month or more to fix anything.

Symptoms.......turn on ignition and there is nothing, totally dead. Fuss with ignition...nothing. Hit kick stand a couple times and dash lights up but as soon as I hit the start everything goes dead. Hit the kick stand a couple more times and everything works and it starts right up.

Now I have a new one. Hit the kick stand and nothing comes on but the bike starts. No display or lights but it runs.

????

Check wires at starter solenoid. Check engine ground. Check battery connections. Check starter connections. Bad connections are the problem and maybe even the ignition switch. Kickstand has no effect on dash board lighting or gauges.

Sometimes it is just so simple. Found loose battery connection. I guess me shifting my weight everytime I moves the side stand made it seem like that was involved.

Thanks for the help everyone.