IGNORED

need advise on Venture

Brian D.

Rode the Triumph Rocket III yesterday. The pipes sound like a 1955 MG Sports Car. I absolutely love the sound. And "GAWD" the power it's got! The seats are more comfy than the Victory Vision, and a short passenger fits just right on the back. i.e. 5'3". I STILL would not get rid of my RSV for either one. The "Rocket III" is a gas hog. But it sure is fun!

By the way Curt, I tried to send you an email and it came back to me with no reply. We have much more in common than ham radio. The wife and I will be married 45 wonderful years come August. Where can I find you on the ham rig? (frequency wise)

Haaa that funny Deb was just sitting on a rocket downtown yesterday, didn't ride it was just checking it out.

Anyway here is all my contact info, I am not really active on the Ham bands these days, sold most of my gear.

Curt Edwards

edwardsc@bellsouth.net email

http://curtislee.multiply.com family site

http://curtislee.aminus3.com photo blog

http://www.myspace.com/metalblues My Daughter and my Music Myspace

Cell number is 502-693-1077

Ride Safe and take care!

I'm a newbie to the Venture site, but have more than 30,000 miles under my belt and considering moving up from the Warrior to the Venture since my wife is trading the rider role for the passanger role.

Summarizing the things that usually cause the bike to go horizontal:

1) Speeds less than 5 mph, lack of rolling inertia to keep you up.

2) Footing - have good shoes or boots and watch out for gravel or oil. Sandles are not a good idea.:no-no-no:

3) Abrupt stops - A fist full of front brake when going slow or a stalled bike when turning is not a good thing. Unfortunately, they are always unexpected.

4) Angles - Avoid getting sideways on them. This includes rolled curbs and driveways. If sideways on an angled surface, make sure you are planning to lean up hill. If you suddenly need to put your foot on the down hill side, you might find the bike is past the tipping point before your foot is down. I saw 3 touring bikes go down in 3 days at a hilly campground last year near Sturgis. All three fell to the down hill side, and one had enough momentum to roll up onto the windshield after the rider had to bail out. All three were trying to turn around slowly (maybe too slow) on a bumpy grass/dirt slope.

5) Train your passengers - Create good habits with your passengers so they always wait for your signal to get on. And, don't signal them until you are pointed forward on level ground with stable footing. A fist full of front brake is good in this case to prevent the bike from rolling.

I too bought the Ride Like a Pro Video, but haven't practiced it yet. It is good, but focuses more on control while rolling at more than 5 mph. Impressive skills though.

Until next time, keep the rubber side down. :bikersmilie:

Rockin Russ

Hey Brian,

All the preceding messages have been a wealth of good information, in which case I would like to add some.

* It was said, the bike tends to want to take you down at parking lot speeds. Ride like a pro teaches you exactly how to overcome this. Do not worry, look and use your head. Friction zone riding is a key element to the enjoyment of a good all around ride with any bike, but especially with the Venture.

* I have been riding my 2006 RSV for one year now. I have noticed that is is very important to be perfectly upright with your posture in the saddle. You will see by having a better arm position relationship to the handle bars, it all of a sudden feels like the horse has power steering. Some articles within these forums speak to this a bit, with several alternatives to help you achieve this. It basically puts the bars closer to you, in a nut shell. ( obviously I am not aware of your particular situation, but these comments are intended to give you some additional mental tools to work with ) So: riser extenders, Barons makes a set of bars which they claim you need not extend any of the controls / cables / lines, etc..

* I use on my RSV Michelin Commander tires. I have not had any issues with them. The wear on the tires after 10K miles is minimal and my best guess I should be able to go another 10K if nothing bites them on the road. The sizes are stock sizes and I do not use the links in the rear. I am 5'-10" and I am riding the machine and having a blast.

Good luck with your purchase, and get out and enjoy the ride.:080402gudl_prv:

P.S. - I purchased my RSV from a gentleman down in L.A. (lower Alabama) Same day started home to N.Y., with the wifey on the back. Her and I felt comfortable and safe for the entire ride home, Blue Ridge Parkway and all that. Take er easy dude.:322:

Ricardo Bustamante

Star Touring and Riding Association

VentureRider.Org

Venturers.Com

Brian I was riding a C90 when my wife insisted I sit on a venture on the dealers show room floor. We asked if we could take it for a test rided, to my supprise they let us. Never been on one and rode out of the parking lot and down the road two up. Stalled it once but never had another problem. The bike is heavy but well balanced. I don't think you will have a problem.

Hope after the bragging I don't drop it this weekend.

Brian - My son has a Volusia and he says my Venture handles better at low speeds than his Volusia - He told me that if he was going to do an obstacle course in a parking lot, he would rather use my Venture everytime. And of course there is no comparison on the slab.