IGNORED

1990 Throttle Cable Broken

Greetings!

I'm new to this very informative site.

Anyway, my throttle cable seems to have broke/snapped on my 90 Venture when I went to start it.

Never had any issues with it, cruise works fine etc. What I did notice is when I gave it gas I heard a mild pop then the grip loosely rotated.

My question would be how do I approach this issue? Meaning should I disassemble the throttle itself first or follow the cable elsewhere.

Read some of the other threads regarding this issue, just seeking some advice on where to start wrenchin'.

I definitely don't want to turn a 2hr job into a 2 day job because I did something perhaps I shouldn't have.

Your comments are appreciated.

Edited by esitgreaves

Welcome to the site.

I would download the service manual that is located in the tech section for the 1st Gen. http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm

Look at that as the throttle cable is a 2 piece affair as the cruise control cable attaches on the left side of the fairing as you are sitting on the bike. I havent replaced it myself but have seen the junction box for the cables.

Also look at the parts diaphragm as it will show the parts you might need. I use the one from Partshark.com since I buy from them a lot.

Good luck and ask more questions here.

Rick F.

First Generation Ventures (which is what yours is) use 5 throttle cables-- two to open the throttle, two to close the throttle, and one for the cruise control. You need to find out which one is broken before you start taking too much apart. Pull the tank cover and the left side cover, and probably also the left side fairing lower. On the left side you will see where all 5 cables join together. Rotate the throttle and you will be able to determine which cable is broke. If you find the cable between the junction point and the carburetors, you won't have to disassemble much to replace it. Like Cimmer said, download the manual so you will see how things are laid out and how to adjust the cables when you get the new one installed.

Let us know where yours broke so we can inspect ours!!!!

Frank D.

Greetings!

I'm new to this very informative site.

Anyway, my throttle cable seems to have broke/snapped on my 90 Venture when I went to start it.

Never had any issues with it, cruise works fine etc. What I did notice is when I gave it gas I heard a mild pop then the grip loosely rotated.

My question would be how do I approach this issue? Meaning should I disassemble the throttle itself first or follow the cable elsewhere.

Read some of the other threads regarding this issue, just seeking some advice on where to start wrenchin'.

I definitely don't want to turn a 2hr job into a 2 day job because I did something perhaps I shouldn't have.

Your comments are appreciated.

Unfortunately, no matter which of the throttle cables have broken, you will have to remove the left main fairing and the left inner fairing to access the "five into one" junction box. To change ANY of the five cables that junction will have to be accessed and disassembled. My finger is on the junction.

IMG_1446 (Large).jpg

The junction is located at the yellow arrow in this pic, behind the inner fairing panel.

throttle cable junction.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I dove into this throttle cable HELL today and cussed like a sailor most of the way as well. Wasn't as bad getting everything off as I anticipated because the fairing could be removed as stated on one side. Getting to the cable junction box was relatively easy, have to pay attention to the spring inside as it will pop out upon separating it. There is a top wheel and a bottom wheel of which the top one slipped right off where it was rather obvious that the #3 cable to the carb had broken. Now comes the cussing part, getting between the carbs to pop that little bastard out seemed like an endless challenge for me just as getting the good cable back in was. Very little room to work you finger, light isn't good, but once your able to get a grasp on the cable and twist the stop out your good to go. Placing the new cable in place was very frustrating due to the fact that you have to rotate the end stop in such a way that it will slip into it's slot, but once in the slot the tension slid it right into its groove. Also helps that there was a groove down where the metal elbow slides into place. Once I had the carb end done the junction box wasn't bad although I asked myself if I should have hooked up the box end first oppose to the carb end because of the pully configuration. I had to push up on the carb throttle to enable enough cable to fit length wise into the box end and into its hole before I could put the cable into the wheel groove, once I did that I just tugged the cable back some and tightened down the cable clamps that are inside the box. Next step was to put the spring into place which fits in a groove on the top plate of the box then reattach the top wheel while sliding into place the cruise control cable before attempting to close the box back up. Once you attempt that a few times, get the spring right etc. your good to go. Assemble the fairing back together and that's it. Was a challenge to say the least. Fortunately I spontaneously bought a throttle cable on ebay for 99cents just to have as a spare, wasn't sure which cable it was as the seller didn't mention it. So when I went to open the package I was rather pleased that it was the actual cable I needed because I'm typically not that lucky. I definitely appreciated everyone's input on this little VENTURE! Thank you...

14102666_10154286359572870_821151911278655250_n.jpg14040033_10154286359637870_4316469442249394220_n.jpg13962771_10154286359577870_7401118556208583340_n.jpg

Edited by esitgreaves

Good on ya and CONGRATS Esit!! :thumbsup:

YammerDan is pretty close - its actually the Maroon 83's with the repaired 2nd gears that are the fastest Ventures mom Yam ever produced BUT - I will tell ya what will get you pretty close = drop a set of vacuum gauges and check the sync on that gorgeous scoot of yours since digging around in there reattaching that cable and she will thank ya by running real close to those magic Maroon carpet rides brother!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I did mine recently, it seems that the number #3 cable is the weak link.

You were lucky to be able to buy a "surplus" one.

Indeed I was considering I had no idea which one I was buying. Glad I got to do the job all in one day as well instead of having to wait on the part. Next thing to do to this bike is take care of a leaky clutch. Could just be the gasket on the clutch plate, tried salvaging the original but it still leaks slowly. Have to add fluid and bleed every few thousand miles, so any help concerning loss of clutch fluid would be helpful as I may be overlooking something. Bike is very fast as mentioned, no problems with speed.

Edited by esitgreaves

Sounds like you will need to rebuild the slave cylinder for the clutch as that most likely is the issue. Happens to us all and it isnt too bad to fix but you must pull off the middle gear cover on the back left of the engine. If you have the service manual for the website here, then look under the Chas section and the Hydraulic Clutch and it will show you how to do it. I would recommend getting the parts before you start so you can do it in a day. You will need to drain the oil as the Middle Gear case cover has oil behind it. So you will need to get a gasket for that.

Here is a couple of links for more information on how to do it..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?116337-Clutch-Hydraulic-Rebuild-Tutorial

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?66302-Slave-Cylinder-Replacement'

Check those out and let us know if you have more questions

Rick F.

Indeed I was considering I had no idea which one I was buying. Glad I got to do the job all in one day as well instead of having to wait on the part. Next thing to do to this bike is take care of a leaky clutch. Could just be the gasket on the clutch plate, tried salvaging the original but it still leaks slowly. Have to add fluid and bleed every few thousand miles, so any help concerning loss of clutch fluid would be helpful as I may be overlooking something. Bike is very fast as mentioned, no problems with speed.