IGNORED

Group Riding Tips - from Dave Hough

Guest DREBBIN

Guest DREBBIN

MANY OF YOU KNOW THE EXPERT "DAVE HOUGH"; FAMOUS OF BOOKS AND INSTRUCTION. DAVE IS 'THE" GUY WHEN IT COMES TO THREAT MITIGATION, IMHO. MY BUDDY DAVE PROVIDED ME THE FOLLOWING SAFETY TIPS; FANTASTIC ADVICE FOR ALL OF US. DREBBIN

First, always start a ride with a riders' meeting, where you explain the rules. For a longer ride, I suggest you hand out route sheets (which you can make by snipping out portions of a state map, pasting on paper, and adding the schedule) The route sheet allows anyone to ride separately, or know where the group will be if they get separated by chance. If it's likely to rain, provide some plastic page protectors to keep the sheets dry. (Hello Staples!)

Part of the rules should be that the group will depart on the scheduled time, so be gassed, geared, and packed. When the group stops for fuel, top up your tank so all tanks are full.

Review the hand signals you'll be using, such as "staggered", "single file", "turn signal left on", etc. (see More Proficient Motorcycling) I suggest not pointing to hazards, but tapping the brakes three times to warn of an obvious hazard such as a pot hole or brick in the road. It should be up to the following rider to spot the hazard and avoid it.

I always suggest staggered formation for groups, but any formation requires additional concentration and increased risks, so you might consider other options for longer rides. For example, make it a "historic run" or "mystery tour" and provide a list of questions each rider must answer by visiting some statue, monument, battle site, etc. That puts the responsibility for navigation on each rider, provides some entertainment, and a chance to give out awards at the end of each day, or the end of the ride. You can even specify that it's "illegal" to follow behind you. Some folks might balk at having to work at navigating, but in the end it helps keep them awake, and might even liven up the event.

Whatever the total group size, I suggest breaking it into smaller squads of three riders each. For whatever reasons, accidents seem to occur in groups larger than 4, seldom in groups of 3. You can require that each rider find two others to ride with, or you can simply number off and assign them to groups. (each squad ("team") can compete as a group against the other groups if you're making it some sort of search game)

With small groups, I think the leaders should rotate, so each has to share the responsibility for navigation. The lead can rotate at each "check point". With a larger group that's not practical, so you should be prepared to be the one and only ride leader, but assign someone to the "sweep" position. I wouldn't suggest trying to lead a group of 15 or 20 riders in a single formation for more than a few hours.

When a large group goes through heavy traffic, it's not possible to avoid getting separated by traffic, signals, etc. so the general rule is: don't try to dash through "pink" lights. Obey all the laws, including coming to a complete stop at stop signs before proceeding. If you get separated by a signal light, continue on the same route until you catch up. If you're leading, wait for the others at the other end of town.

If you're following a twisty road with numerous junctions, I suggest the formation should become single file, with each rider falling back more than six seconds. That avoids rear-enders when something happens ahead, and forces each rider to ride his (her) own line and speed.

"Corner Marking" is the technique of waiting at any junction until the following rider catches up. The next rider should raise a hand to signal he has seen the leading rider, who may then make the turn. The next rider waits for the next, and so forth. That's only when the ride is "follow me" with no route sheet or independent navigation.

If more than one or two participants have GPS, consider setting up the route and offering to download the route or waypoints to the other units via a laptop computer. The GPS route can also be printed and used as a paper route sheet. (several pieces)

Provide contact information to each participant on longer rides. Telephone numbers of the lunch restaurant, hotel, cell phone, etc. (can be on the route sheets) It should be mandatory that anyone who becomes separated from the group for more than an hour contact the appropriate location and report in. You can write your own rules here, but it's important to avoid having people turn around and backtracking attempting to locate a "lost" rider.

Be prepared with a few humorous "awards" which you can present at the end of the day. (plastic crab for someone who is crabby, walnuts for someone who is timid, whatever.) Keep it humorous, not mean. Helps the group bond together.

Some groups communicate via radio, either CB or hand held "walkie talkies". If you intend to lead a larger group in a single formation, definitely install a CB and also on the sweep bike (or other vehicle) so you can communicate from front to back.

Try to position weaker riders toward the front of a group, not at the end. The stronger riders should be at the tail end because they typically have to ride much faster to catch up.

When pulling a group onto the road, ride at a slow pace until the entire group is rolling, then accelerate the group together. When approaching a slower speed zone, decelerate the group well before the sign, so that the tail end riders aren't running up the pipes of those ahead.

Have a plan for what to do in the event of an accident or mechanical failure.It is not wise to stop the entire group on the road and cause additional problems. Perhaps you can assign someone with mechanical aptitude or EMT training to ride with the sweep rider, with the responsibility to "pick up the pieces" and radio to you. The group could elect to take a break at an appropriate location down the road, to allow you to return to the site if needed. The other riders can be directed to proceed to the next check--or even continue to the destination. There is no point in everyone trying to help and creating a new problem. If there is an accident at the front of the group, take steps to secure the scene, but get the others to a "safe" location off the road and away from traffic. If it's an injury accident, immediately call for medical assistance. (another reason for carrying a cell phone)

Of course you know to never stop at bars, taverns, lounges, etc. where participants might be tempted to drink.

How's that for starters?

David L. Hough

Guest DREBBIN

i think i posted it in the safety section, right?

hmmm....it IS in the safety section. Maybe one of the other moderators beat me to moving it. :)