IGNORED

Light brown liquid

Your stator is cooled with engine oil so having oil in that compartment is normal. If you didn't drain the oil before you started then you would lose a substantial amount when you cracked the case.. If it is older it could be brown.. if it has water in it then it usually would be foamy or creamy.. It could be fine and normal.

Before you put it back together make sure you clean (very well) the area where the rubber grommet goes and the wires come out of the case..then use a good sealant. They tend to seep oil if not sealed really well. I would also recommend a new crush washer for the bottom hole of the middle gear cover.. for me the hardest part was getting the old gasket cleaned off.. like it was baked on.. I used gasket remover which sort of melted it.. Next hardest part was getting it all lined up fighting the magnets to get it back together.. just be patient ,,

The trick to getting the stator cover back on is to get some threaded rod the same size as the bolts and cut them long enough to use as guides so that you can tread it into the bolt holes in about 3 places and then slide the cover on and install the bolts in the remaining holes and then remove the threaded rod and install the remain bolts. This was the strong magnets cant move the cover around on you as you are aligning it up.

Rick F.

The trick to getting the stator cover back on is to get some threaded rod the same size as the bolts and cut them long enough to use as guides so that you can tread it into the bolt holes in about 3 places and then slide the cover on and install the bolts in the remaining holes and then remove the threaded rod and install the remain bolts. This was the strong magnets cant move the cover around on you as you are aligning it up.

Rick F.

Thanks I'll try that.

Hmmm, that pretty much involves draining the cooling system (GREAT time to flush the cooling system) and inspect the water pump around the ceramic main seal for signs of "milkshake" around it, may be hard to detect as the coolant will tend to wash it clean.