IGNORED

Anybody having trouble with not enough light

Hummingbird

Several months ago I researched LED replacement tubes for my wood shop. The best deal I came across was https://www.earthled.com/?gclid=CJKijIzhhMsCFQ6maQodM6oLOA and these tubes http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=9c9454a46822d2ecb5bdd4775&id=846ca7dd7c&e=383e98d6fd

At the time they were $13.49 per tube - the ONLY downside was thast you had to buy at least one tombstone for each tube if you bought the 120v tube because the ballast is bypassed and taken out of the equasion.

Right now the Thinklux tube is on sale for $10.99 with free shipping. The only thing I would mention at this point is to take a serious look at the 5000kelvin heat tube, it make a superior light. I've replaced nearly every lamp and bulb in our house with the Thinklux bulb and tube in the 5000k

Unbelievable light

disclaimer - I have no stock nor am I getting any type of payment for this, it's just a hell of a deal on 4' led tubes

That is not a bad price for LED lights. The only problem I have is that I have 8' lights in my shed.

That's not a problem at all. I had 8' High outputs in my wood shop and in the garage. A ballast for the HO is $55, I bought (@Lowes) 2 4' t8 fixtures ( $11) and had a couple 4 footers laying around and scrounged up from garage sales etc another few fixtures. 4 footers are all over the place,the real thing is that you only need a carcus, take tha ballast out, change ONE tombstone, feed that tombstone with 120vac and your good to go.

I had 3 - 8' ho's in my workshop and replaced them with 6 - 4' led's.

I also replaced the bulbs in the bathroom over the sink, those led bulbs are $3.99 each with a 50,000 hour shelf life and they are only 18 watt giving out the light of a 60 watt but in the 5000k much brighter. I can actually see to shave now.

darn near need sunglasses now and there are no shadows.

Thank you for this link. Just purchased 4 of the 5000k 4' bulbs to install just over the lift. If they work as expected, I will order the additional 14 for the balance of the shop. Been wanting to do this for a while. Just couldn't bring myself to spend so much on lights.

RR

Thank you for this link. Just purchased 4 of the 5000k 4' bulbs to install just over the lift. If they work as expected, I will order the additional 14 for the balance of the shop. Been wanting to do this for a while. Just couldn't bring myself to spend so much on lights.

RR

RedRider - you are most welcome, you WILL notice a difference in your maintenance and electric cost. Not having to buy ballasts is an enourmous savings. Did you remember to order some tombstones ? you have to have them so you can wire direct - My only regret is that I paid $13.49 for the tubes when I found them. Like I said, I have since replaced most of the bulbs in the house with the 18 watt led, gheeeeezz what a difference.

Let me know how you like them.

Now I'm confused. I just got a 4ft LED from Sam's Club that throws some good light for 35 bucks. You can put those LED tubes in the old style housing we have?? What is a tombstone? Electric and I do NOT get along well. Is this something I should try???

I looked at the ones from Sams club but opted to by a few T8 lights from Lowes @$11 (no tubes), took the ballast out and replaced 2 tombstones and had a new BRIGHT light fixture. Also being the cheapskate that I am, I found a couple 4' fixtures at friend and neighbors that they weren't using and bought them for "their" asking price of $5

One last thing - if you have a dedicated 4 footer at a work station with 2 40 watt tubes, you can replace them with ONE 18 watt (5000K ) led and have more light and the tubes are rated @ 50,000 hours. I think that comes out to 17 years at 8 hours a day.

It just occurred to me that I didn't answer your question - Yes, the replacement led tubes can be put in existing 4' fixtures, just bypass or eliminate the ballast and replace one tombstone per tube.

Why do the tombstones need to be replaced? If you wire them correctly, what is the issue?

RR

this link may be a good answer http://www.homepower.com/articles/home-efficiency/electricity/changing-fluorescent-tubes-leds

when I changed my tubes out, the Thinklux tubes I bought were fed from one end. The line and neutral were on one end only and the other end had pins just to hold it in the fixture.

Anyone that needs fixtures, I have a bunch of 2x4' 4 tube fixtures, they are the type that sets in drop ceiling grid. FREE if you pick them up here.

the thing about wireing direct is that you don't have to use 4 tubes in a 4 tube fixture - most likely 2 led - 18 watt tubes in the 5000kelvin heat range will give more light than 4 - 34 watt flourescent tubes