IGNORED

Idle mixture screws ?

Greetings.

Can anybody tell me where the idle mixture screws are located on the 28mm Mikuni carbs (1998 Tour Classic)? Just cant seem to find these little buggers.

I am having the exhaust popping and would really like to get rid of it. Have already run through a full tank of new fuel with cleaning additives (carb and injector cleaner) and it still pops. No holes in or around the Y pipe weld and all exhaust gaskets seem to seal perfectly. I plan to install the Dyna 3000 module in the near future but not at the moment. Any help or/and advice would be very much apreciated.

They are on the outsides of the carbs, behind brass plugs. The plugs will have to be drilled out first. Then they are easily accessed. Be very careful not to bugger the screw heads with the drill bit when it breaks through the plugs. Backing these screw out a half turn or so should cure the popping problem.

Hi Lynn the Pegscraper.

Was not surprised that you replied. Always there when I need some info. Since I am kind of a newbie in the Royal Star category then I was wondering if you could give me more specific location of these brass plugs. Can they been seen without removing the gas tank for example? I was trying to find these plugs on the dealer diagram but am kind of lost here. Did read about them on the forum for Ventures but there they are talking about the 32mm Mikuni so I am not sure this is the same. Simply not very clever when it comes to carbs. Could you guide me some more?

Maybe I am getting a little closer now. The attached photo is from the Yamaha parts diagram.

Would no: 8 be the brass cap and no: 9 the pilot screw to turn out to get rid of the exhaust popping by any chance?

Yes, those are the parts. The 32mm Venture carbs are completely different than the 28s that you have, and that I used to have. On the 32s, the pilot screws are on the inside of the carb pack. I swapped the 32mm carbs into my bike and they gave a huge performance increase. I sold off my 28s so long ago I don't remember what they look like anymore. But I think you can get to everything right there without taking the tank or anything off. Someone had already drilled mine out when I got my bike, so I didn't even have to do that. I did get some plastic plugs to fit in the holes to keep dirt out, but the plugs kept falling out, so I quit worrying about it. Then I swapped the carbs anyway.

Has it warmed up enough up there in Iceland to start riding yet?

Greetings.

Can anybody tell me where the idle mixture screws are located on the 28mm Mikuni carbs (1998 Tour Classic)? Just cant seem to find these little buggers.

I am having the exhaust popping and would really like to get rid of it. Have already run through a full tank of new fuel with cleaning additives (carb and injector cleaner) and it still pops. No holes in or around the Y pipe weld and all exhaust gaskets seem to seal perfectly. I plan to install the Dyna 3000 module in the near future but not at the moment. Any help or/and advice would be very much apreciated.

Haven't been following your problems with your bike but I think the first thing I would do is make sure the carb's are sync'ed.

I think you can get a little different mixture by just setting the needles up or down a little bit in the carb's

Just my :2cents:

Jerry