IGNORED

RSV Clutch not working after sitting for a few weeks

YamahaLarry

This is maybe the longest my RSV has sat since purchasing it 1-1/2 years ago. It's been sitting since the first part of Thanksgiving week. I went to move it out of the garage tonight to set up my saw and cut some wood and noticed the clutch pulled way too easy. Started it up, popped into 1st gear and no clutch at all. Removed the cover and it had a little fluid in it, but was dark colored.

Been meaning to flush and bleed for a while (have already done so on brakes), but will have to research to figure out how, but can't be that difficult.

Anyhow, I kept pumping and pumping and after maybe 40 or 50 pumps I had enough clutch to start it back up and put it in gear without it going dead, but I could feel that it was ever so slightly engaged, and as I revved up the engine, it would rock forward a little with no brakes applied.

So, why did it lose pressure in the hydraulic system after sitting? Do I need to replace slave cylinder? If there is a leak, there is no indication of such on the bike or floor of the garage.

I have a ride Saturday, and hoping I can do something quick to do a 100 or so mile ride for a Toy Run. I am the lead bike and will be dressed as Santa, so IT IS A MUST that I make this ride!!!

Accepting all comments. I am somewhat of a mechanic, especially in a prior life aboard a USCG cutter.

Oh, and I hate the angle of the clutch reservoir!

Edited by YamahaLarry

Larry, how much fluid was in the Res when you popped the lid? was it just a tiny amount in the very bottom? Doesnt take much air at all to loose hydraulic pressure - you probably got low enough to get air into the master (that is the resivor where the clutch handle mounts). If you put some fluid in it - move bars so the res is as level as possible - fill it so window on side of res is just covered - make sure rubber on cover is pushed in and in right position - put cover back on and pump the lever you will probably get clutch back. Sometimes it takes just a gentle movement on the lever to get it to bleed air out of the master - I like to do this with the cover off but you have to be very gentle and careful when doing so cause the bleed off will squirt ya - makes mess.. You just gently move the lever so the piston in the master moves just enough so you can see little bubbles coming up.. If this doesnt work you will have to bleed the system BUT - I have been where you are many times and the clutch usually comes back without it though. There is a high probability that the inner seal on your slave cylinder is leaking. It can leak and show no real external sign. I have ran many many miles with small amount of clutch fluid loss (fill up a couple times a year after covering thousands of miles) BUT - the system is a sealed system and it should NOT loose fluid..

There was just enough to cover up the holes in the bottom of the reservoir with bike level and handle bars straight ahead. With it leaning left, and turned left, 1 hole was exposed to air. What puzzles me though, is that it has just been sitting, was fine when parked, and absolutely no clutch when I got on it.

I had it get too low maybe a year ago and was only able to fill it about 1/4 of the way up, being afraid of getting fluid on the tank or left lower. That stuff is bad news. Tomorrow night, I will cover my paint with plastic and try as you said. I just need to get thru the weekend for sure. This is a very important ride that I will be doing and it is a MUST that I be there.

All it takes is those little holes in the res to have the fluid move over em and a tiny air bubble to move into the master. Sounds to me like just adding fluid, cover back on - pull the lever a few times and you will get your clutch back. It has probably been loosing fluid over time and you just didnt realise it. The rubber cover on the lid is designed to hold fluid in and not leak out when you corner - is it leaking around that cover? That cover seal can be kind of tricky, you have to fit it in just right to get it to seal.

Larry, I got minute, would you like me to pull the cap on my 83 and You Tube you a video?

Sorry, I was doing some screen printing. Hopefully that won't be necessary. I am going to get out there tomorrow (Thur) night and tinker with it. I did get back on it and had to pump lever again several times before I could get any clutch, so I guess I just need to get it leaned over to the right some and add some fluid.

As for the cover and the rubber in the cover look good to me. I did notice a small amount of trash in the bottom of the reservoir. I may clean it out good before I fill it up with fluid.

Thanks for your help. I will try to post my findings tomorrow night. All you guys on this forum ROCK!

I put the kickstand on a 2x4 or just put it on a bike jack to get it level. Bleeding the clutch is quick and easy. The darker the fluid means it is absorbing moisture from the air, this will make the clutch fade away also. I agree with Puc on the adding of the fluid and pump the lever, that is half way or better, to bleed the clutch and flush the system.

Bill

All it takes is those little holes in the res to have the fluid move over em and a tiny air bubble to move into the master. Sounds to me like just adding fluid, cover back on - pull the lever a few times and you will get your clutch back. It has probably been loosing fluid over time and you just didnt realise it. The rubber cover on the lid is designed to hold fluid in and not leak out when you corner - is it leaking around that cover? That cover seal can be kind of tricky, you have to fit it in just right to get it to seal.

Puc, you da man! I went out and put 3" of wood under my kickstand and bike was standing almost straight up (just didn't want to take the time to put it on the jack. Turn bars all the way to the right, covered all under handlebars with a sheet of plastic and once again removed the clutch reservoir cover. Went ahead and took out what little fluid was there and took some tissue and wiped out the bottom. It had a lot of real fine black powdery looking crap in it.

After I got it all cleaned up, filled it almost full with fluid and begin pumping it slowly. Air bubbles would come out of the small hole about every other release of the lever, and especially if I just pumped it the 1st 1/2" or so. But did that for maybe 5 minutes until no more air was coming out of the small hole. I did notice that after 3 or 4 minutes, some of the discolored fluid was coming out of the small hole. I will try to flush the entire clutch system maybe this weekend.

Anyhow, got it all filled and buttoned down, fired it up, pulled in the lever, popper her in first gear and we are as good as new! Have a few family members blocking the garage and couldn't take for a spin, but very confident that all is fine.

I do question where the fluid is going though. I would guess either a connection underneath or slave cylinder. Will just have to keep an eye on it. I really do appreciate the tips last night.

Not riding it as much now with cooler weather and the deer roaming the roads at night.

Plus, I got me a new toy a couple weeks ago. Refinished my bike completely this past year. And, will be doing a restoration of this baby come spring time (or before).

Untitled.jpg

Edited by YamahaLarry

Puc, you da man! I went out and put 3" of wood under my kickstand and bike was standing almost straight up (just didn't want to take the time to put it on the jack. Turn bars all the way to the right, covered all under handlebars with a sheet of plastic and once again removed the clutch reservoir cover. Went ahead and took out what little fluid was there and took some tissue and wiped out the bottom. It had a lot of real fine black powdery looking crap in it.

After I got it all cleaned up, filled it almost full with fluid and begin pumping it slowly. Air bubbles would come out of the small hole about every other release of the lever, and especially if I just pumped it the 1st 1/2" or so. But did that for maybe 5 minutes until no more air was coming out of the small hole. I did notice that after 3 or 4 minutes, some of the discolored fluid was coming out of the small hole. I will try to flush the entire clutch system maybe this weekend.

Anyhow, got it all filled and buttoned down, fired it up, pulled in the lever, popper her in first gear and we are as good as new! Have a few family members blocking the garage and couldn't take for a spin, but very confident that all is fine.

I do question where the fluid is going though. I would guess either a connection underneath or slave cylinder. Will just have to keep an eye on it. I really do appreciate the tips last night.

Not riding it as much now with cooler weather and the deer roaming the roads at night.

Plus, I got me a new toy a couple weeks ago. Refinished my bike completely this past year. And, will be doing a restoration of this baby come spring time (or before).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102650[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102650[/ATTACH]

OUTSTANDING on a job well done Larry:clap2:!! GLAD YOU GOT ER UP AND GOING!! :thumbsup: My money is on the idea the fluid is leaking ever so little out the back of the Slave - might wanna toss in a small bottle of Brake Fluid into your maintenance department just in case - cheap insurance should it be a bigger leak than expected - and just keep an eye on your site glass while your out playing on the scoot.. More likely than not, it will take a good while for it to leak down. Those slaves are rebuildable, kind of a pain but doable. Glad I could help in some small way brother!!:thumbsup:

WOW ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW :178::guitarist 2::happy65::178::178: THAT VERTIBLE BUG BROTHER!!:thumbsup:

NOW THAT IS PURRRRDDDDYYY!!:thumbsup:

WHAT YEAR?

OUTSTANDING on a job well done Larry:clap2:!! GLAD YOU GOT ER UP AND GOING!! :thumbsup: My money is on the idea the fluid is leaking ever so little out the back of the Slave - might wanna toss in a small bottle of Brake Fluid into your maintenance department just in case - cheap insurance should it be a bigger leak than expected - and just keep an eye on your site glass while your out playing on the scoot.. More likely than not, it will take a good while for it to leak down. Those slaves are rebuildable, kind of a pain but doable. Glad I could help in some small way brother!!:thumbsup:

WOW ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW :178::guitarist 2::happy65::178::178: THAT VERTIBLE BUG BROTHER!!:thumbsup:

NOW THAT IS PURRRRDDDDYYY!!:thumbsup:

WHAT YEAR?

It's a '73 Karmann version Super Beetle. Body is sold, no rust other than very very small spots on top edge of driver's door. Paint job is bad. The guy that did it just put a couple coats over factory paint and it is eggshell all over, but what I call a 20 footer. It is an older reconditioned bug. I bought it to restore and to enjoy on weekends riding in the mountains. Wanted to restore one that didn't require separating the body from the pan. If I can get 'er right, they NADA on a restored model is close to 24k.

Have always had a love for the old bugs and have owned a few over the years, but always wanted a convertible. I just think they look so cool and are a blast to drive. Not motorcycle fun, but fun still.