IGNORED

headlight upgrade

Last night I was driving in Rain Storm, Dark nite, and noticed that my 08 Chev, Trail Blazer, also suffers from not bright enough head lights.

I am planning to do the Mod to that vehical also. Same as the old 93 T-Bird.

I was disappointed with the light output on my 06 Envoy (same vehicle) as well, until I found a kit to put a couple of relays in that not only remove voltage drop, but keeps the low beams on when the high beams are on. It really fills in the gaps at night. You can even go with the system to keep your fogs on with high beam as well (if legal in your area). I can't remember the link, but if I find it I will post it.

Thanks for that Dennis! I had not thought of keeping low beams " On " with High beams . Hmmm ?? Question ---

Might this be Illegal, in some states ??

Weather forcast, is rain for a week, so will get busy on the Mod. for the 08 Trailblazer. Will pick up couple of Bosh Relays on way home from the gym this afternoon.

High and low should be okay together. Not sure about fog lights, too. Might be too much. I know my Malibu has high and low on at the same time from the factory.

The place I bought my kit from was http://www.mrtaillight.com

I would have gone with just buying the relays, but this kit had all the right connectors to get the high power, grounds and connectors hooked up without having to cut, strip or crimp anything.

Having them both on is like pulling back on the stalk switch to flash the beams. Very bright.

I posted on candle power forums and they don't think any drop in HID or LED into a halogen reflector assy is good at all. and they hate all the Chinese knock offs. they like the new Phillips LED H4 drop in my not for bikes. And I think it has one driver for the two bulbs/pkg anyway.. this one: http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm. They liked the JW speaker or truck lite 5X7" led headlamps and made note that a clear cover like my 1984 has can take 15% of the light away..

So I think for now I'm going with relay to get the battery voltage to the bulb and a good halogen bulb like the Phillips extreme vision or Osram Nightbreaker.. But I could also get the later headlamp assy with defractor on the outside like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-XVZ1300-1300-Front-Headlight-Light-lights-XVZ-86-93-/111821297025?hash=item1a09119581:g:vH0AAOSwwbdWQo94&vxp=mtr .. I think this would be much better.. does it drop in or any special instructions??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-XVZ1300-1300-Front-Headlight-Light-lights-XVZ-86-93-/111821297025?hash=item1a09119581:g:vH0AAOSwwbdWQo94&vxp=mtr

Is it for sure the convention with H4 halogens that the low beam turns off when the high beam is on? And this is how the ventures are wired?

I had planned a pair of relays to run the headlight hi and low beams but that would run either or headlight and keep the stock feature of turning off the headlight when the starter is engaged (I have to look how that's done..). The only way I could figure to run both the high and low beam would be with a switch in series with the 12 V to the low beam relay (so the normally closed contact would also be tied to the head light low beam). With this set up I'd need a heavy duty waterproof switch and have to be sure to turn the light off when I hit the starter button and when I shut down the bike... ideas?

Last night I was driving in Rain Storm, Dark nite, and noticed that my 08 Chev, Trail Blazer, also suffers from not bright enough head lights.

I am planning to do the Mod to that vehical also. Same as the old 93 T-Bird.

I was disappointed with the light output on my 06 Envoy (same vehicle) as well, until I found a kit to put a couple of relays in that not only remove voltage drop, but keeps the low beams on when the high beams are on. It really fills in the gaps at night. You can even go with the system to keep your fogs on with high beam as well (if legal in your area). I can't remember the link, but if I find it I will post it.

With the H4 the reason that the hi and lo are not run at the same time is because of the high amp draw and the heat that it will produce. As a minimum you will need the ceramic headlight connector just to keep that from melting. I do not know if the plastic lens and/or reflector can take that much heat either. For that matter, I do not know if the bulb itself can take that much heat.

Good points I bet it wouldn't be too hot for the later light fixture (just one glass defray tor on the outside right?). I could get the ceramic connector but wonder if total amp draw would be too much for the stator. Any links for the hi amp stator upgrade??