IGNORED

Spyder vs Trke

scooter45

Depends, depends and then again, it depends.

On:

What kind of trike you plan to add to the Venture.

Now you do get to keep most of your Venture, so your seating is the same, leg position is the same, handle bars stay where they are, lighting is not much different and the list goes on.

The Spyder will give you a different seating position, handle bars are different etc etc, and the leg position isn't as flexible. Passenger has about the same amount of room, trunk space is about equal but more usable on the Venture I think.

With all that kind of in a nut shell, I'd go for the Venture trike.

BUT!!!!!

If it's the ride you're looking for,,, give me the Spyder!!:happy65::happy65: Hands down, it has the trike beat 10 to 1. To be totally open about things, I only spent about 1 hour riding trikes, so maybe my assumption is a bit assumptionous, but I love my Spyder. Took a few miles to get used to it and it wasn't til I hit around 6-8k km, that I could say: Wow, I love this machine. Even have an 84Vr in the barn right now, and have no real interest in riding it,,, because if I were to take it out, it would mean that the Spyder would be staying put,,, and then I would not have had the joy of riding it again.

Looking at Hannigan trike I have a 2009 venture with 25000 mile I got it new in 2011. I'm 55 no real problem keeping the bike up but we will start traveling long trip now. Planning on picking up a smaller bike for short trips, like a 650 vstar

I have not rode a spyder but I have checked them out. After throwing my leg over and sitting for a few minuts I ruled it out. It was very uncomfortable to me. I think they have one now with a more up right sitting position.

I already had my RSV set up where Shirley and I are both very comfortable so opted for the Hannigan conversion and couldnt be happier. Plenty of storage and the handling is superb. Cost for a full kit runs about $17000.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/products/yamaha-royal-star-venture-tour-deluxe-conversion/

Another thought is the steering. I found the Spyder with it's added bonus of power-assist steering was\is easier to steer than the trikes I had ridden, it's also more positive in the corners with the 2 wheels to do the work. Although I have never yet had the opportunity to test it out, if the front should leave the pavement, Nanny will shut down the power plant until all is equal again. Now on a trike that would also happen to some degree should a rear wheel un-contact, for all the drive force would then go to the loose wheel and the trike would slow off and bring the wheel back down, but if the rider did not respond quick enough, and cut the throttle, that spinning wheel would hit the pavement under very high speed and possibly some decent power, which conceivably could flip the trike back up and over. Now this is all hypothetical, and I wouldn't hold it against the trike or for the Spyder, but it's a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer my Hannigan over a Spider mostly for the comfort. A set of Flanders bars along with the easy steer make it a dream to handle..

Hey Bob, why the flanders bars? Do you feel the added pull back gives you more leverage in the turns? Maybe my trike isnt set up rite, but it isnt a "dream" to handle.

Thanks, Craig

As a matter of fact I immediately noticed a difference when I put them on this spring. I already knew there would be a comfort difference from setting on Jeanie's trike but never drove hers. Next MD take mine for a ride and decide for yourself, but yes the additional pullback aids in steering effort and makes it almost like power steering to me.

Does yours have the rake kit (steer lite) on it? Not all Hannigans have it. If the triple tree looks exactly like stock then you probably don't have it, but if it looks different from stock you do have it. It is an option, not standard for Hannigan.

Of course centrifugal force is centrifugal force, nothing is going to change that. The nice thing about the wide wheelbase and IRS is the trike will handle a lot more of it without lifting a wheel off the ground. Part of learning how to handle the twisties is overcoming the fear of going over or being thrown off...

Scooter45 one thing to consider whether to trike or go Spider is the resale value. A used Spider will get you more of a return on the initial cost than what you paid for the bike plus the conversion will get you. I've got over $30,000 into my '09 and would be lucky to get low $20K's if and when I sell it. For what I have in mine I could have bought the deluxe version Spider and at selling time get more money back than for mine.

As I already mentioned, the comfort level of my Hannigan is a lot better than on a Spider for me. Other people may feel different but I doubt I could ride a spider comfortably for 8 to 10 hours. I don'[t have enough experience on a Spider to see just how fast you can push them through the twisties but I do know there have been 2 wheelers that have had a hard time keeping up with me in some cases...

I have a quote of $15000 to trike my Venture my 09 would give about $6000 in trade on good day. or $7000 out right. So I would have $21000 in it. The guy that I have the quote from will come out to my home pick it up at my home and drop it of when it is done the price is color matched to bike with reverse.

I am very comfortable on the Spyder,,, took a while though, like Bob said, you get the idea that you're being thrown off, so you need to adjust to that feeling. I remember following B2-Dad one time and was amazed how he could twist his trike into parking lots and around corners, I thought I would never be able to do that on the Spyder,,, course that was my first ride,,,,,, today, totally different, give me the twisties and I'll keep up , maybe even push a little.

I also thought I would miss the hyway pegs I had on the 85,,, I do a bit,, but really wouldn't spend money on getting some,, at least not yet. Mileage is excellant, mostly right in tune with the Ventures I ride with and so lots better than a triked Venture. Oils change every 15,000 km, not radiator heat, and if you get rid of the cat then there's not extra heat from there either, heated grips and passenger bars, reverse, abs, good radio sound system, lots of light.

But it does have some issues.

Needs to be properly aligned, Can Am isn't much good at that.

It takes time to make any upgrades,,, lots of plastic to get out of the way.

OEM tires are crappy. (Kenda)

Needs a belt tensioner to keep the belt vibrations at bay.

Trailer hitch is a funny looking thing.

Needs mud flaps.

I have a quote of $15000 to trike my Venture my 09 would give about $6000 in trade on good day. or $7000 out right. So I would have $21000 in it. The guy that I have the quote from will come out to my home pick it up at my home and drop it of when it is done the price is color matched to bike with reverse.

I thought about same, triking my 2009 RSV (w/76K miles). But also took a look at a new CanAm (loaded to cruise for $24k). The CanAm dealer offered me $7700 trade for my RSV unseen.

Came around to getting a 2008 already triked Goldwing, for less $$ than you have noted above. I found a deal and decided not to lose it.

The GW has a lot more power if you want to pull a trailer, two up. Still too new for me to give an opinion.

Edited by Mike G in SC