IGNORED

Guy intentially wrecks couple on bike

Venturous Randy

Before I make my statement. let me say I do think the guy driving should be charged with assault, and even assault with a deadly weapon.

That being said, the event brings up many other points.

The guys state of mind. I fully believe he had intent to knock the bike over or at least scare the bejesus out of them, that seems fairly obvious. But that's very different than the intent to kill. That knocking the bike over could lead to death or that scaring them could have lead to an accident is a possible outcome of that act, but it's the guys intent that matters when we are saying "he tried to kill them". As it's near impossible to say the guys intent, so we don't know if he tried to "kill them" or tried to "hurt them" or tried to "scare them". Big difference there.

I may punch a guy and he may die from some unforeseen issue he may have. It is a possible outcome and I could/would be charged with at least assault and probably manslaughter. But my intent was not to kill him. My intent was to hurt him. If I punch a guy and he doesn't die, it's assault. That all sounds very "lawyerish", but it's the way it works.

Another issue that has bugged me for a long time is the term "cagers". It's a term that is used to dehumanize and make it alright to "hate" anyone in a car when we're on a bike. It's derogatory and it has a negative connotation no matter how someone tries to explain it. Why is it we call ourselves "motorcyclists" but they are not "motorists"? I truly think that's a label we should drop as motorcyclists. It isolates us and makes it easier for "motorists" to say things like "there goes another donor cycle" and separate themselves from us. Motorcyclists should be working as a group to close the gap between bikes and cars, not widen it. We use the same roads, why are we trying to divide ourselves from the very people we want to be more aware of us?

People care more about other people they identify with, and care less about those they do not.

People think "cager" is "just a word I use" and doesn't really mean anything, but words have power. Hate, love, rage all words that have power. They are not words that should be thrown around casually. Same as words like cager, which is not much removed from things like "the hun" or "Kraut" that was used to dehumanize Germans in WWII, which made it easier for soldiers to kill them. Or the word "nigger" and slavery. "Japs" and WWII. "Jews" in Nazi Germany. Words used to separate one group of humans from another to make it easier to think one is better than the other or one has less worth than the other. Keep in mind I'm drawing the parallel to the words, not equating motorists to Nazi's or other groups.

On any given day we can ourselves be "cagers", so why do we apply that derogatory term to anyone not on a bike that day? I've just never understood it and again, truly think motorcyclists should drop it from our language.

The Crum guys comments about 60 MPH wheelies also illustrates a sub-sect of our motorcyclist group that gives us a bad name just like bike gangs do: "The squid" or "stunter" or any other word you want to apply to people generally being reckless on public streets. While I in no way excuse or condone Crum's actions, I understand the frustration behind them.

I can't stand them either. Youtube is full of theses a-holes on public streets and they think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. What they are is just plain dangerous and are going to eventually get the general public all riled up just like straight pipes did/do.

If you get enough people riled up, they'll do something about it. They'll start passing laws, or making it more difficult to get a license, or insurance companies will start jacking rates through the roof on all bikes and riders on general perception, call for police to be cracking down on all bikers for every little thing and other stuff like that.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot the average guy can do about them becasue they just aren't going to listen. I've tried. We all know the type: the guy with the scraped and smashed up superbike with the footmarks on the tank and the metal scrape bar behind the tail light. I also enjoy a little thrill as the front tire grazes the ground on hard acceleration, but catwalking down main street or draggin yourself down the road behind your bike is just flat out dangerous. Hell, doing it anywhere on a public street is dangerous. There's places for this: empty parking lots, race tracks or any locally organized event. Again, unfortunately, in the "YouTube" culture that's not enough. You've got to be breaking laws and being a general @ss to be cool.

Anyways, just some points I wanted to get off my chest. Not so much about what happened on that stretch of road, but what could be called pet peeves I guess. Perhaps a bit of a soapbox points for discussion but not meant to be insulting, inflammatory or derogatory to anyone and/or their opinions.

Maybe "deep thoughts" with GW (if anyone gets the SNL reference)....:rotf:

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll stop commenting in these threads. Pretty much said all I have to say and honestly, the topic is getting kind of tiresome.

I will, however, say kudos to everyone who has been able to discuss such a potentially charged subject with a mature attitude.

:)

And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is a mic drop moment.

Very well said Great White! Now, drop the mic and walk off the stage.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, typing cager is easier than typing man driving a car. That's all.

I say and type cager for the same reason. Not being negative when I say cager. If I want to be negative against a guy in a car, I just say jerk or a-hole.

• 1 year later...

Well, I saw a news article a couple days ago that the bitter old man in the car was sentenced to 15 years in jail. From what I understood from the article he has been in jail since he was arrested with a $150k bond that I suppose he couldn't meet. The jury didn't buy his insect excuse.

You were certainly following the story a long time. Must have been or are a LEO or similar.

Thanks for the input,

:farmer:

Retired engineer but I'm flattered to be suspected of being an LEO. I just read a couple of news web sites and it popped up on foxnews.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/texas-man-who-ran-bikers-off-road-sentenced-to-15-years-in-prison/428463526