IGNORED

Brake pads

chag67

I am needing new brake pads for the front. My question is how difficult is it to yourself?

Do you need to take off the front wheel?

I am not mechanically inclined but I have changed out all 4 plugs and I now do my own oil change. I also changed out my fuel pump. Is this something you think I can do easily?

And what are some suggested brands of brake pads?

Sounds a lot like my mechanical abilities. I have a friend who can do it all. I call on him, we get together and he directs while I do the job and learn at the same time. I was really surprised at how easy brake pads are changed. Just have to make REALLY sure you put them in correctly. Took less than 30 minutes for me while Mike checked everything to make sure they did what they are supposed to! (smile)

Yes, I understand. But not everybody likes to have to click on your name and read your profile every time. Look at my name on this post. Most other people too. See where it shows our bikes below our username when we post? That is what I'm talking about. Just makes it easier for people trying to reply and answer your questions.

Thanks freebird. Fixed it on the desktop.

What are some good brake pads?

Any advice on doing it myself?

I use the OEM pads. Just a little hint. Get a "C" clamp just big enough to go over the caliper and use the old pad to push the pistons in so the caliper will go back over the new pads. Remember to use a thin piece of wood on the out side of the caliper so you do not scratch it with the clamp. Only do one side at a time

Nothing wrong with the OEM pads. I personally like the EBC HH pads. Great stopping power and they wear very well. I also agree with the C Clamp. I have used a C Clamp and even a large pair of Channel Locs. Whichever you use, just very slowly compress the piston because the new pads will be thicker and you won't be able to get them over the rotors if you don't compress them first. I wish I was closer so that I could stop by and give you a hand this first time but it's really simple and I don't think you will have a problem. Just take a good look. It should be evident how the calipers come off. If you don't have a service manual, you can download one in the Second Gen Tech Talk area.

I still didn't see your bike in your postbit so I took care of that for you. :)

Before pushing the pistons in you should clean the outside exposed part of the piston

Yes, that is a good thing to do. Just use a spray can of brake cleaner.

Totally agree.. I like to push the pistons out with the pedal/lever at least exposing the full width of the new pads (just the pad portion - not the including the steel plates the pads are attached to) - gotta be careful not to pop the pistons all the way out and only exposing a pads worth will allow for a LOT of piston still in the caliper. Then take a strip of cloth about the same width as the exposed piston, spray it good with break cleaner. Loop the cloth around the exposed piston and move the cloth back and forth over the piston while pinching the ends together so the cloth stays tight. CLEAN THE PISTONS AND AREA WELL making sure you get any debris off the piston. Compressing clean pistons in will keep the Calipers from sticking..