IGNORED

99 rsv with lighting flares. HELP HELP IVE ALMOST PULLED ALL MY HAIR OUT..

Dave

i have a 99 rsv with 40,000 and owned it for 5 years and have had intermitten charging issues since.till two months ago, I replaced the main wiring harness and voltage regulator. now last night I drove it 5 miles and first the radio was cutting out and coming back and the it shut off/die 9 times. I would get it restarted and I thought it was ign switch cuz I could wiggle it,key and get it shut off and on. today I start it and now I have major flaring in the lights at an idle its so bad its like your turning a switch to the lights on and off. take it off idle and they get brighter and smooth. im so freaking tired of this dam bike and the elec issues im about ready to hang a sign on it that says, FREE TAKE ME AND MY ISSUES. ANY ONE WITH ANY IDEAS

Could be Regulator Dave?? I've heard of new ones being bad. I'm not sure how to check. Get into connector coming off regulator and see if you are getting power surges out of it?? Better wait for some of the electrical guys to check in. I SUCK at that stuff.

You might want to replace the ignition switch.

I have had the same issue off and on with my 99 for the past couple of years.

The contacts on the base of the switch get corroded and build up dirt and other stuff causing the contacts to not make connection.

If you wiggle the switch until the fuel and speedo come on the bike should run.

If it cranks but doesn't run you will have to wiggle it toward the off position a bit until everything catches.

If it does nothing continue to mess with the switch position and you should find the spot that works.

I did spray contact cleaner in the key hole and it did help a lot.

I purchased a replacement on sale last year for around $140.00 but since my switch still works (most of the times) I'm getting as much out of it as possible before having to re-key the bags or having to use 2 separate keys.

Just hoping it doesn't go completely Ka-Poot in the middle of BFE.

Good Luck!

RSV Switch.JPG

IN the site venders. There is a ign bypass relay. Its a plug and play.. takes the load off the switch. I added one to mine and bought one for a friend. Had one relay fail but you can buy them about anywhere. Carry a spare there cheep.:thumbsup2:

thank you to everyone that responded with ideas. I was so frustrated Thursday eve with club rides coming up sat and sun of this weekend I had more want or will to dig in. with that being said I have a limited amount of time to ride being in Minnesota. so here is what I found. I stated I replaced the main wiring harness a couple of months ago and all has been well till thurs night.what I found was a loose main fuse at the starter relay that I replaced a month before the wiring harness. so I took the fuse and put a twist in each of the female spade terminals opposite of each other then put so di elec grease in the male half. where the fuse plugs in to. the fuse had to be forced in some but that's how you know its going to make good contact. stared and no issues with lights flairing test rode for 15 miles and no issues at all. I think issue solved. (I HOPE) thanks again for the input.

thank you to everyone that responded with ideas. I was so frustrated Thursday eve with club rides coming up sat and sun of this weekend I had more want or will to dig in. with that being said I have a limited amount of time to ride being in Minnesota. so here is what I found. I stated I replaced the main wiring harness a couple of months ago and all has been well till thurs night.what I found was a loose main fuse at the starter relay that I replaced a month before the wiring harness. so I took the fuse and put a twist in each of the female spade terminals opposite of each other then put so di elec grease in the male half. where the fuse plugs in to. the fuse had to be forced in some but that's how you know its going to make good contact. stared and no issues with lights flairing test rode for 15 miles and no issues at all. I think issue solved. (I HOPE) thanks again for the input.

Beats the heck out of buying a new $150 ignition switch.

Glad it was so simple