IGNORED

Anybody been inside of an 85 Venture?

cowpuc

Looking at an 85.. I already done the research and have the good VIN memorized (1416 and above for the no more 2nd gear issues right @Venturous Randy? = THANK YOU BUDDY).. Anyway,, need a little more info if any has it.:fingers-crossed-emo

Does the 85 come with the stator upgrade (oil hole in crank nut and splash plate), diaphram clutch, aluminum water pump impeller? Were the frame issues I have heard about (fortunately never experienced it - knock on wood cause still riding Tweeks) resolved by then. Also, I know the 85's still had the clam shell bags, do they mount the same as the 83's, hangers the same so its the same process to remove rear wheel for tire change? Are the brake calipers the still the early style or can these be swapped out to the upgraded R6 calipers?

Any other things you can include (plus or minus's) would be appreciated..

Thanks ya'll..:thumbsup:

Puc

i still miss my 85. the larger trunk does remove like the 83-84, but it mounts on a one year only mounting plate design with key locks that are also your helmet locks. The side bags are exactly like the earlier bikes. I was told the frame issue was fixed after 83 models. mine had the plastic impeller in the water pump and it was pretty beat up when it was replaced. Brake calipers were the same as the earlier VR/s and brakes are linked if. I am pretty sure the stator had the hole and the oil spring but cant say for sure.

MarCarl would be a good source on 85s too as he knew his machine far better than i knew mine.

Brian

Puc,

The alternator oil upgrade was done the first time in the summer of 83, and then again late summer of 84. I purchased an 83 new and my dealer worked on the alternator twice.

The frame was re-enforced in the area of the center stand mounting bolts for the 84 model year. My 83 broke the frame, and the replacement frame I used was an 84, and they'd beefed this area up considerably. Frame problems are 83 only.

I believe they upgraded the clutch when they increased the motor to 1300cc. in 86.

Looking at an 85.. I already done the research and have the good VIN memorized (1416 and above for the no more 2nd gear issues right @Venturous Randy? = THANK YOU BUDDY).. Anyway,, need a little more info if any has it.:fingers-crossed-emo

Does the 85 come with the stator upgrade (oil hole in crank nut and splash plate), diaphram clutch, aluminum water pump impeller? Were the frame issues I have heard about (fortunately never experienced it - knock on wood cause still riding Tweeks) resolved by then. Also, I know the 85's still had the clam shell bags, do they mount the same as the 83's, hangers the same so its the same process to remove rear wheel for tire change? Are the brake calipers the still the early style or can these be swapped out to the upgraded R6 calipers?

Any other things you can include (plus or minus's) would be appreciated..

Thanks ya'll..:thumbsup:

Puc

Hey I'm back from vacation of my holidays,, or is it a holiday from my vacation,,,, either way, nobody took me away yet, although I did see some white coats somewhere.....anyways, in answer to your inquiries.

Stator isn't any different, figure on it needing replacement, and it some came with the oil slinger some not.

Plastic impeller was standard, so you'll need to upgrade that.

Clutch is a 6 spring affair. Couldn't see any wear when I did mine, but did upgrade the springs with the fiber plates.

No frame issues, they were dealt with earlier.

Bags mount the same as the earlier models, but need to be locked if you want them to go with you for a distance,,,, although they slide real nice when they do come off,,,, notice I didn't say IF.

Trunk hooks on and then has two locks to hold it there, also serve as helmet locks, but the helmets do get in the way of the brake\tail light if you plan to leave them there for transport.

Rear wheel change is a little easier seeing as you have done them before,,,, piece of cake unless rust has taken hold.

Suggestions:

SS brake lines, more lights, trailer hitch so I don't have to worry about you and Tippy riding off balance like you have been, more light up front, more light in the back.

Actually, the 85 was the best model going. If I were to go back to 2 wheels,,,,,,, fat chance of that,,,,,,, I would look for another 85. I happen to know where there is a real nice one that just might be for sale.

I turned my 84 gold into an 85 gold by getting the trunk from an 87 and the hardware from an 85 so I wound up with the larger trunk in Gold AND still had the ability to remove it.. Loved the xtra storage space of the larger trunk.. If you are thinking of replacing tweaks at some point you will be very happy with an 85

X2 on the larger trunk.

I put the 85 trunk on my 83. Huge in comparison.

All you have to do is swap the rack and deal with different keys for it from the ignition.

I swapped the keys on the side boxes for the keys on the 85 so all the luggage matches keys.

Nice being able to open the luggage without turning the bike off. It's come in handy once or twice already. Like pulling my rain gear out of the side boxes sitting under an underpass on the side of the highway while rain hammered down...

Hey I'm back from vacation of my holidays,, or is it a holiday from my vacation,,,, either way, nobody took me away yet, although I did see some white coats somewhere.....anyways, in answer to your inquiries.

Stator isn't any different, figure on it needing replacement, and it some came with the oil slinger some not.

Plastic impeller was standard, so you'll need to upgrade that.

Clutch is a 6 spring affair. Couldn't see any wear when I did mine, but did upgrade the springs with the fiber plates.

No frame issues, they were dealt with earlier.

Bags mount the same as the earlier models, but need to be locked if you want them to go with you for a distance,,,, although they slide real nice when they do come off,,,, notice I didn't say IF.

Trunk hooks on and then has two locks to hold it there, also serve as helmet locks, but the helmets do get in the way of the brake\tail light if you plan to leave them there for transport.

Rear wheel change is a little easier seeing as you have done them before,,,, piece of cake unless rust has taken hold.

Suggestions:

SS brake lines, more lights, trailer hitch so I don't have to worry about you and Tippy riding off balance like you have been, more light up front, more light in the back.

Actually, the 85 was the best model going. If I were to go back to 2 wheels,,,,,,, fat chance of that,,,,,,, I would look for another 85. I happen to know where there is a real nice one that just might be for sale.

Er...a...NO!!