IGNORED

Imagine my surprise....

litteacher

Imagine my surprise when my girlfriend came over to see my "new" purchase of an 83 Venture yesterday... and I proudly went over and slapped the tank and declared ,"I'm going to take Old Grampy for a ride tomorrow." Instead of a nice metallic sound resonating from my open palm, the plastic cover that was masquerading as a gas tank popped off at the top.

I have a feeling this motorcycle has many, many surprises ahead for me......

Imagine my surprise when my girlfriend came over to see my "new" purchase of an 83 Venture yesterday... and I proudly went over and slapped the tank and declared ,"I'm going to take Old Grampy for a ride tomorrow." Instead of a nice metallic sound resonating from my open palm, the plastic cover that was masquerading as a gas tank popped off at the top.

I have a feeling this motorcycle has many, many surprises ahead for me......

Yep, what you slapped is essential an airbox and battery cover.

You're pretty much sitting on the fuel tank. It's right under yer butt!

:)

Do a search on the forum for 1983 and you'll find that second gear can be a problem, frames can crack at the rear swingarm linkages, plastic mounting tabs can be very fragile, the rear cylinders can bake your ankles, slow hot starting, and various other assorted little bits like a 1 year only TCI (ignitor box).

Now, just because some 83's had these problems doesn't mean they all did. My 83 has had none of them, but it also only has 34000 kms on it. The only one that seems to eventually get everyone is the second gear issue, which is cause by Yamaha using a thrust washer that is too soft for prolonged use. They fixed it in late 85 with a different thrust washer. Unfortunately, the only way to change the washer is to split the transmission cases, which pretty much means tearing the engine completely apart....

Edited by Great White

ahhhhh.. thank you... I didn't want to come right out and show my total lack of knowledge when it comes to this machine, I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

I'll have some questions concerning the hard luggage on it.... one piece in particular has quite a bit of damage. I'll do a search through the threads to see if anyone has documented how to perhaps repair it...

Anything can be fixed, but I would just replace that bag.

Problem is it's not just plastic damage, but the frame is distorted. You could hammer it back, but it will be a bugger to get it right and seal properly.

The plastic is also messed up in a hard place to fix back to original strength.

You can fix it, but I'm not sure you would want to fix it....

Bookmarked!!!! Thank you, Kevin.

After I took the picture of it this morning, I tried to open it ... I had the key, but it was so distorted I couldn't get the thing to pop open.... God,... I can see how this little "venture" I took is going to be a consistently slow drain on my wallet... :) I might have to eliminate some of my other vices!

Okay... I'm intrigued... what do you mean metal lowers?? I have all of the other plastic that goes with the bike.... or did I miss an inside joke? :)

As far as having bigger doors on my house? AMEN!! I'd love to have a nice sliding glass door to ride my bikes right in for the winter months.

That IS some "significant" damage. I wouldn't try to repair it.

There is a matching 1983 maroon saddlebag on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-XVZ-1200-Y319-right-side-saddle-bag-with-key-/231175684861?hash=item35d32502fd&vxp=mtr

So I see the bag with the key. After shipping, the unit will run around 75 dollars. Is it safe to assume that is a very reasonable price?

Well it would most likely cost you more to fix the old one because I don't think you would be happy with the repair and then you would have to buy a replacement any way. And I have seen the the plastic go for a lot more. Also you could ask if any of the other members might have spares. A few members have bought parts bikes and may have spares which could save you some money.

Check around locally before buying off ebay.

I found a guy parting an 85 locally on kijiji (IE: same idea as craigs list) and got all 3 boxes for 60 bucks an hour away.

They weren't the right color, but were in even better shape than my low mileage 83 boxes.

I was only after the bigger top box and the lock mechanisms for the side boxes. It will all get painted anyways this winter when I put the 86 side boxes on.

My spare Venture boxes are going to be adapted to the FJ1200. They look really nice with the bikes lines.

:)

Edited by Great White

Thanks for the advice of looking around a bit more , Great White.... I live in Northern Maine, so my resources are a bit limited, but I found everything I needed to on Ebay at very reasonable prices. I grabbed a right-side luggage replacement and a handlebar and clutch lever for some small money. They should be here in just a few days....