IGNORED

88 Venture Royale Bobber Project

Will be converting the 88 Venture Royale xvz1300 to a Bobber / Rat Rod or Frankenstein whatever you want to call it.

Has anyone ever relocated the gauge dash or replaced the needed stuff with something else?

Also I saw someone else removed the brace that runs over the engine. it that brace needed or is it there just to hold the covers on?

Done So Far.

Relocated my CLASS and Battery to the saddle bag.

All relays and components that use to be in the Front cowling are now in the spot that battery use to be.

Replaced the Air intake Box with PVC pipe intake I saw someone else did.

Removed entire Trunk and passenger seat back.

Removed Side and lower cowling.

Need to Do:

Move the Dash cluster. I have already bypassed the burnt out light indication.

Bypass the Reserve lighting system. I saw someone said they did this just not sure how to do it.

Remove the front cowling and install round headlight and some turn signals.

Replace Tail light and install some turn signals so I can remove the ones in the saddle bags.

Replace the seat with a Bobber style spring seat.

Replace the rear plastic fender with a metal on that can support a Passenger seat pad.

I am willing to trade or sell anything that I take off if you provide what I need to get it off.

Ie Front cowlings can come off if I get a Round Hedlight, turn signals and Mirrors.

I am not super picky @ this point so for example I would swap the entire front lights and all for

Mirrors Headlight and Turn Signals

Bought not running with a paint job that was cracking and coming off for $500 cleaned carbs and rejeted.

yamah B4.jpg

Shaker canned it

After1.jpg

Started taking stuff off

stage3.jpg

9/11/2015

I took off the side stays today and went on a nice 70 mile ride with the wife and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference. The parts book has them listed under cowling parts and not the frame. Guess I will roll with it as is. On another note I synced my carbs with one of them home made tube deals. I found that the #4 was sucking so hard compared to #3 and #1 that it almost sucked all the oil out of the tube b4 I could pinch it off. Some back and forth between #1 and #4 and #1 and #2 got them in line with each other. a minor tweak to #3 and #4 pair and it was sounding much better. On the ride today I found that my hand didn't go numb after 20 miles like it did in past long rides.

9/17/2015

I went on to taking off even more stuff. In prep. for installing a LED headlight and to resolve an annoying warning light on the CMU every time I put on the brakes. I went into the CMU and found the coil for the brakes was burned up. I jumped the Reeds for all the lights. I also removed the Reserve Lighting box and bypassed it.

DSCN1383.jpg

I removed the stock tail light and made up a rustic looking can style light. It worked out well enough so down the line I may put some time into making a better one.

tailLIGHT.JPG

TheRide.JPG

I remover the gas tank.

Moved the battery under the seat

Moved the cruise control and everything from the front cowling in the void from the battery under the airbox cover

Temp installed a larger airbox cover

Temp installed a headlight

Installed new mirrors and hand grips with built in marker/turn signals

thinned down the seat for a lower ride

Flipped handle bars

Removed CMU and bypassed its functions

installed LED warning lights to for Temp, brake and oil pressure on venture cruise panel

installed digital speedo, volt meter and tach on handlebars

I also rejeted and installed KN filter and opened up the airbox by adding 3x 3/4in holes in the front opposite the stock inlet

and a few other things

thebike.jpg

Edited by VerntureVet
Update

A Trail Tech Vapor will replace your tach and speedo. The one for DR650 would work well with the VR. There is an outer frame available for the Vapor that provides some indicator lights.

The Vapor itself provides engine temp, shift light, and fuel warning.

If I did it I would still keep the center rectangle with the error indicators.

My engine covers look pretty ratty. You probably want them for your Frankenstein bike.

Maybe I'll trade you. Let's see what yours look like?

My engine covers look pretty ratty. You probably want them for your Frankenstein bike.

Maybe I'll trade you. Let's see what yours look like?

you talking about the one with the vents that cover the side of the engine?

side cover.jpg

I do plan on keeping the Computer Monitor System for now.

Edited by VerntureVet

No, I meant the aluminum ones that keep the oil and other parts from falling out.

Here's my covers:

Left Side.jpgLeft Side 2.jpgRight Side.jpgRight Side 2.jpg

The inner covers on my right side aren't bad but the two circular ones are.

Probably a winter time project as both of us would be unable to ride until the exchange is complete.

No, I meant the aluminum ones that keep the oil and other parts from falling out.

Yea that is what mine look like. Ya see the put a clear coat on them covers when the are made just like the front forks. Over time 20-30 years it chips, wears, and yellows. best bet is to get some 220 grit and sand the coating off. From there hit it with 400 then 600wet 800 wet 1000 wet. after the 1000 you can recoat it with clear header paint or press on to 1500-2000- 0000 steel wool - nevr-Dull.

Here is the progress I have made on my engine while still on the bike. I like to tackle it when I am out in the garage with a beer hiding from the wife and kids.

DSCN1347.jpg

Still some work to do and for sure it would be better to do it off the bike but for now its my only Ride.

"Has anyone ever relocated the gauge dash or replaced the needed stuff with something else?"

I've done quite a few mods to my 83, including substituting a speedo from a different bike and and adding a digital tach. An aftermarket tach isn't too challenging but the speedo does require finding one with a compatible cable and cable housing.

"Also I saw someone else removed the brace that runs over the engine. it that brace needed or is it there just to hold the covers on?"

For the size and weight of the bike, the frame didn't seem overly strong - so I left the two side braces and even added to them just to make them more interesting to look at. No idea if the frame would survive without them but I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I think that the only parts which are still stock on my bike are the wheels.

zag

stream crossing.jpg

IMG_4228-small.jpg

Edited by zagger

@Prairiehammer

$900 Reserve still not met that's already $300 more than what I have into the "88 I have now. Its a cool looking bike but there is something about hacking a perfectly good bike yourself. Beside Texas is a long ride home to Ohio lol

@zagger Thats a nice ride you made there. Call me crazy but I always liked the look of an old car/bike tailored to ones own taste. It show individuality, ingenuity, and creativity. Someplace down the line I hope to Steampunk style my bike but for now I just like to shed the cowlings and stock rear end. Then over the winter I can add some nice details for the spring flings.

I took off the side stays today and went on a nice 70 mile ride with the wife and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference. The parts book has them listed under cowling parts and not the frame. Guess I will roll with it as is. On another note I synced my carbs with one of them home made tube deals. I found that the #4 was sucking so hard compared to #3 and #1 that it almost sucked all the oil out of the tube b4 I could pinch it off. Some back and forth between #1 and #4 and #1 and #2 got them in line with each other. a minor tweak to #3 and #4 pair and it was sounding much better. On the ride today I found that my hand didn't go numb after 20 miles like it did in past long rides.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated OP to reflect a few changes

I remover the gas tank.

Moved the battery under the seat

Moved the cruise control and everything from the front cowling in the void from the battery under the airbox cover

Temp installed a larger airbox cover

Temp installed a headlight

Installed new mirrors and hand grips with built in marker/turn signals

thinned down the seat for a lower ride

Flipped handle bars

Removed CMU and bypassed its functions

installed LED warning lights to for Temp, brake and oil pressure on venture cruise panel

installed digital speedo, volt meter and tach on handlebars

I also rejeted and installed KN filter and opened up the airbox by adding 3x 3/4in holes in the front opposite the stock inlet

and a few other things