IGNORED

Reflective lens on trunk

One other thing, I'd like to remove the Venture Royale logo from the reflector and, as per someone's suggestion, mount it on the trunk. What is the best way to get it off without damage?

Use some stout (14-20#) nylon monofilament fishing line with a sawing action to cut through the double faced foam tape used to adhere the emblem to the reflector. "Goo-Gone", WD40 or similar to remove the residue from the separated parts.

Get some clear Plastex and you can repair your old one.

I've used it to repair all the fairing tabs that start to brake with age.

http://www.plastex.net/

Thanks for your offer of advice. Plastex is too costly for me. I have been using an MEK-ABS paste I concocted to do repairs. It works great and is quite inexpensive.

The big challenge with the trunk bottom is that the two broken areas have significant bends at the edge of the holes. No idea how that happened. Anyway, I expect a heat gun will probably do well there but have not yet tried it. It's hard to determine how much plastic is actually missing but will know better once it gets straightened out.

Use some stout (14-20#) nylon monofilament fishing line with a sawing action to cut through the double faced foam tape used to adhere the emblem to the reflector. "Goo-Gone", WD40 or similar to remove the residue from the separated parts.
I know I've got a roll of 30# perlon somewhere but couldn't find it. :confused24: That is the lightest I have ever used :fishin: but it would probably work well enough if I knew where it was.

Not having heard anything by this morning I waved my heat gun at the logo and it just about fell off by itself. Interestingly, it did not look like it was held on with double sided tape. There was some kind of black goop mystery adhesive in the crevices on the backside. Did not look like RTV either, as it was not rubbery.

Thanks for the input, there are so many good solutions, from the guys on this site, that are rattling around in my head that is is often difficult to remember which one solves what problem. :confused07:

((here was some kind of black goop mystery adhesive in the crevices on the backside. Did not look like RTV either, as it was not rubbery.))

Hmm...sounds like the PO had the thing apart.

But that's OK...cause it came right off! Yay!

Yay is right. There is no indication that the logo was ever off and reinstalled. I've never taken one off so would not know how it should look, other than what I have been told on here. When one considers the four trailer lights that were bolted through the trunk and the reflector it is difficult to believe the PO could possibly have reinstalled the logo in exactly the right spot. Since this site is PG I will refrain from further comment regarding the abilities of the PO.

Minor update:

Yesterday after spending a few hours on getting the reflector off I only managed to cut 4 of the center LED strips and 3 of the turn signal ones. Not sure yet if I can get 4 or 5 into each signal, 5 will be tight. Looks like 5 strips might fit into the center area though. Hopefully can get them all prepped for wiring on the weekend.

You may be right about the glue stuff. Mine was double sided tape. Pain in butt. LED's sound good. I think you will be happy with them. My PO put in tiny light bulbs and didn't use wiring connectors. So one of these days, off comes the lenses and I'll change over to LED's and put in some connectors to make install/changes easier.

Take some pics when done...be good to see...

Thanks for update.

I have a 1988 Venture Royale xvz1300.

I took off the trunk and it has a good reflector.

I need Mirrors that will mount on the brake/clutch masters on the handle bars, a round style headlight, fender mount tail/plate light, And some Turn signal lights for the front and rear. No worry if the do not 100% match upto the VR. As long as I can make a bracket to attach em somehow.

I have a 1988 Venture Royale xvz1300.

I took off the trunk and it has a good reflector.

I need Mirrors that will mount on the brake/clutch masters on the handle bars, a round style headlight, fender mount tail/plate light, And some Turn signal lights for the front and rear. No worry if the do not 100% match upto the VR. As long as I can make a bracket to attach em somehow.

Welcome to VR.org.

Looks like you might be after a naked Venture. There are a few threads on the site where guys talk about what they did.

If you are interested in selling the reflector post it in the classified section.

Your questions will get a much better response if you post them in a new thread.

Wasn't a question. My trunk is on a shelf of my shop and will not be going back on. I was basically offering him a trade for some cheap mirrors and other stuff I need for what I am not going to use.
Oh, OK, sorry I misunderstood. :8:

Carry on as you like. :beer:

I need Mirrors that will mount on the brake/clutch masters on the handle bars

You can mount mirrors in the threaded holes on the top of the handlebars. One side has left hand threads and you can get universal mirrors or try some off used bikes.

Randy

Really??? :sign06:

Wow, I did not realize I was off topic. Looked like I was ON topic to me. :moon:

Randy

Wow, I did not realize I was off topic. Looked like I was ON topic to me. :moon:

Randy

Well, I guess MROflam might be interested in mounting mirrors to the reflective lens VentureVet has offered but I rather doubt he is that lame.:buttkick:

Sometimes reading more than the last post is most helpful, possibly even necessary. :rotfl: