IGNORED

See Doo

KAWoodworth

It was an expensive weekend. We picked up a 2008 Sea Doo Wake 215 HP super charged jet ski. I have never owned a jet ski and know almost nothing about them. I was wondering if there could be another topic on the site that would be for RV, boats, jet skis and such. This site has always been so helpful when questions come up about our bikes. I think it would be nice if there were a separate topic. That would be easier than looking through the watering hole. I'm also really interested in reading and learning about RV ownership. Those that have RV's could post in that topic.

2008 Sea Doo Wake s.jpg

We are really enjoying our Waverunners though they are not near as fast as what you bought. I think I found top speed on mine on Sunday at just about 56 MPH. Yours should do much better than that but having already come off one at around 40 - 45 MPH, I'm OK with the slower ones. :)

As for an area for such things, my initial thought is no. There are some very good jet ski forums out there and it is just my opinion that we can't be everything.

That being said, I am open to the opinion of others so if I'm wrong, tell me.

OK, thanks Don. I just really appreciate and trust the advice given by the venturerider folks. This is the only forum I have ever joined or even looked at. I'm not really the big jet ski fan in the family, my wife is. With my bad back and spine surgery on C5 vertebrae last year I'm not much on being bounced around. And now October 6th I have to have C6 and C7 disks replaced. It sucks getting old. We bought the jet ski from a friend of my one son in-law. As I said in my first post I know nothing about jet skis. the 215 HP wake model meant nothing to me. I though they were all really fast. When the kid drove me back to our dock from the community boat launch he hit 68 MPH and said that wasn't even top speed. Way too fast for me! I just found the operators manual yesterday and it turns out it is due for an oil change at 100 hours. It has 98 hours on it now. And since it is super charged it takes a special oil as far as I read in the manual. It needs XP-S 4 Stroke 10W-40 Mineral oil. I also read you need a special suction pump to change the oil. Sound like for the first change it is going in to a dealer for service. This is going to be a hoot, someone should take a video. I have never backed a trailer up. Our community launch is down this very narrow one lane drive which is super steep. I'll be lucky I don't end up in the woods trying to get down to the water. Maybe my next door neighbor will have pity on me and help. He puts his ski in and out of the lake each time he comes down. All this lake stuff is new to me. Although I'm finding I really like Smith Mountian Lake Virginia.

Putting a Jet Ski into the lake is not that hard. Just practice backing it up at your house. A little trick that helps those new to backing a trailer, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and just turn it the direction that you want the trailer to go. Steering from the top takes a bit more practice as it's counter to what you are used to.

As for the oil change, I don't know about the oil for that model but you should buy the suction pump and do it yourself. I've not checked with a dealer but have read that they charge in the $150.00 range to do it. Very simple to do if you simply buy the suction tank. You can pick them up at any boating type store and I think that even Harbor Freight sells them.

People ask questions about all kinds of things here and there are some members here who are much more knowledgable about these Jet Skis than I am. I had never owned one until this year but after pulling the engines about 4 times on those first ones that I bought, I've learned a lot. :) So feel free to ask your questions but I just don't think that setting up a special area for such things is something that I want to start. What would be next? I just think that it's important that we stick with the Venture and Royal Stars as the main focus here.

[quote= they are not near as fast . I think I found top speed on mine on Sunday at just about 56 MPH. Yours should do much better than that but having already come off one at around 40 - 45 MPH, I'm OK with the slower ones. :)

That's why I ride a harley . :witch_brew: :cool10:

Isn't the "Watering" Hole an appropriate enough forum for boating?

Those superchaged SeaDoo can hit 72ish on smototh water, they've got some giddy-up. Great if you want to pull a tube or even a fat guy water skiing (I only say it because I am that guy). Most boat shops do oil changes from above with a vacuum pump rather than through the oil pan drain as its simpler and cleaner, doesnt leave an oily mess in the hull. You put the vac tube down the dipstick or fill tube and pump it out, otherwise all the same as other oil changes.

Thanks, guys. I'll look into the oil pump. Don, great tip on backing up a trailer. As far as practicing, well the jet ski and trailer are down at Smith Mountain lake 4 and a half hours away. I'm going to the WNY rally next week so the next time I'll get down to the lake is over the Labor Day holiday weekend. The wife wants to take the ski out of the water then. I'd unhook the trailer the first time and take it down the hill to the water but it is way too steep an incline and at least a couple hundred yards down to the water. I don't think trailers float if it would get away from me, HA HA!!!

(Quote) A little trick that helps those new to backing a trailer, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and just turn it the direction that you want the trailer to go. Steering from the top takes a bit more practice as it's counter to what you are used to.

Well I'll be darned.

All these years of driving and backing trailers up, and I have never heard of this little trick and never once gave it any thought. That sure would make it a lot easier than what I have been doing with my hand on the top of the steering wheel. This same trick should work on my John Deere riding lawn mower when backing a trailer up. I just have to go try this out.

And they say you can't teach a old dog new tricks. Phooey.....

Now as for my Goldwing....I have to think of a way to remove the handlebars and mount a steering wheel on it. I always have issues when I try backing up my bushtec trailer..........:stickpoke: