IGNORED

after market stereo setups

Been looking around the forum, and cant seem to find any crazy stereo replacements or mods of any kind...

Im looking, because the previous owner of my 87 xvz1300 has a kinter ma-120 installed in the truck as a stereo. Its barely a band-aid if you want a stereo.. Fm reception is useless, and there is no way of connecting an automotive type antennae, also its in the trunk, so there is no interface with the driver.

So I bought a pyle plmr91ub, and Im planning on installing it in the lid door thing (what do you call those? lol) to the left of the handlebars.... Also planning on adding speakers to the saddlebag lids...

Whats your thoughts on such things? Alternate suggestions?... Anything? lol

Edited by MrOflam

I just bypassed the whole "stereo thing" and went right to a bluetooth helmet set.

My Iphone 6 plus is pretty much everything: MP3 player, GPS, phone, streams whatever radio station I want, etc.

My Sena SMH10 allows me to connect to it wirelessly and voice control it or use the big rotary button on the side of my helmet.

As a side bonus, I have several motorcycles I swap back and forth from day to day and since the stereo is in my helmet, it goes with me no matter what bike I ride.

I've got a holder and power port on the venture, so I can see the gps when navigating (phone is in a waterproof case). But on my FJ, I program the gps, drop it in my pocket and get voice guidance even if I can't see the screen.

And no added weight or shiny theft target on my bikes.

It's not for everyone I guess, but it's the best solution for me!

:)

FYI - he has an 1987 xvz1300

Oops... Probably an important detail... First post updated... Thank you

I just bypassed the whole "stereo thing" and went right to a bluetooth helmet set.

My Iphone 6 plus is pretty much everything: MP3 player, GPS, phone, streams whatever radio station I want, etc.

My Sena SMH10 allows me to connect to it wirelessly and voice control it or use the big rotary button on the side of my helmet.

As a side bonus, I have several motorcycles I swap back and forth from day to day and since the stereo is in my helmet, it goes with me no matter what bike I ride.

I've got a holder and power port on the venture, so I can see the gps when navigating (phone is in a waterproof case). But on my FJ, I program the gps, drop it in my pocket and get voice guidance even if I can't see the screen.

And no added weight or shiny theft target on my bikes.

It's not for everyone I guess, but it's the best solution for me!

:)

This sounds really cool... Not big on music directly in my ear personally... Would rather have speakers.

It looks like you could pretty much do what I did.

I want to see your review of the Pyle though.

I do have some reservations about the PRV175.

I think it's close to the same size as the Pyle.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?88766-PRV175-Install-Keeping-Built-in-Amp-and-Controls

Yeah... That looks like whats in my mind as far as install goes... Except my bike doesnt have a stereo there, its just a blank door.... That looks very similar to the pyle I bought...

Pyle just came in the mail today... Fingers crossed I have time to mess with it tonight.

So that's a radio and mp3 hookup?

The PRV175 is AM/FM, USB, Bluetooth, and 3.5mm AUX jack. 20W per (4) channel if you use the amp.

Stereo preouts otherwise. I think it also has a subwoofer output but at this moment I don't remember for sure.

I use it with my phone over BT but it has weird protocol that requires me to pair devices again each time I turn off the bike.

I may have new software that fixes that but I haven't tried it yet. It's a PITA.

I installed the new software for this today (8/12/2015) and it now works great!

I am waiting for the distributor of the PRV175 to grant me permission to put the new version up here.

It drains battery if wired direct even if you turn it off each time so it has to be key switched.

Without battery power it won't remember the track number for the USB drive.

It only plays straight through on USB with no shuffle feature so you start from track one after you pump gas, etc.

Other than those shortcomings it works great!

Edited by syscrusher
update

Well... Had a bit of time last night to put the pyle in... Went well, easier than a lot of car stereos I have done...

Havent had much time to mess with it after though... The FM radio is not working at all without an antenna... This is the main thing I want working, any suggestions on an antenna to use?

The bluetooth connection works well. Pairing is easy, it doesnt require repairing or anything like that after being turned off and on. But I was trying to use it this morning and I was getting a lot of cutting out... I dont know if I have a wiring issue (kind of doubt it, I used wire nuts everywhere), or its the bluetooth connection... Would be nice if I could tune in an FM station and see if it cuts out as well... I disconnected my phone, and later at lunch when I get another minute Ill re-pair it and see if its still doing it.

Still need to put in the rear speakers... Was talking with the fiance last night, she would rather I put them in the trunk lid than the saddlebag lids... So, that may be where they are going now... Wont have time to mess with that until thursday or friday.

This is how the unit looks atm though.

P_20150811_072816.jpg

Edited by MrOflam

Fm reception is useless, and there is no way of connecting an automotive type antennae,

Whats your thoughts on such things? Alternate suggestions?... Anything? lol

I replaced my whip antenna with a powered antenna and hid it below the windshield. It works great! Here's a link to photos;

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/dbtgallery.php?do=browse_user&userid=5983&gal=gallery&id=5791&type=albums

I replaced my whip antenna with a powered antenna and hid it below the windshield. It works great! Here's a link to photos;

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/dbtgallery.php?do=browse_user&userid=5983&gal=gallery&id=5791&type=albums

Thats sweet!

Thuse far, I have tried a short rubbery one that I got at autozone, tucked it into the faring... And I hate it... Ill swap it out for one of those..

When you say "powered", doe it actually require power?

I can only say the FM reception on the factory radio has always been poor. I ditched the combo set up to CB. Obviously the trimming box also ditched. Have 2 separate antennas. A tuned 30" made from the original antenna(center coil removed) for AM/FM and a nice CB antenna opposite. Properly tuned antenna works better and I have an FM booster but still not as good as my car. But being behind the chrome trim I would not expect great reception from GaryZ antenna . Maybe GaryZ's antenna is way better for reception ? How much $$ ?

Edited by jasonm.

Thats sweet!

Thuse far, I have tried a short rubbery one that I got at autozone, tucked it into the faring... And I hate it... Ill swap it out for one of those..

When you say "powered", doe it actually require power?

Yes, it is connected to a switched 12V. I used the accessory terminal on the fuse block