IGNORED

PRV175 Install Keeping Built-in Amp and Controls

OK, finally ready to put this mod up for others to use.

To understand where I'm starting from take a look at this link. Click on the thread link to start at this post.

I tried to make it so that I could go back by gluing things back together but now I doubt it. My radio went nuts too much of the time and the PRV175 only cost me $110 shipped so

PRV175

I had a switch that would change between a 3.5mm plug and the built-in radio. Either way it was using the built-in amplifier which worked fine. The middle row of my 4PDT switch was wired to the existing cable for the cassette player, to get the low-level output of the PRV I soldered a standard RCA audio cable to the side of the switch that was basically unused. Red is Right.

Since you're no longer switching on the radio though you need to remove the +12v between pins 6 & 7 of the old cassette cable that would have been enabled when flipping the switch to the side that you will wire the PRV low-level output to. If you don't it will tell the built-in Venture amp to use the old built-in radio as input and you won't hear the PRV at all.

:doh:

These pictures have captions on them to let you know what's going on. I hope you can read them.

20140905_185823-2.jpg

20140905_185843-2.jpg

20140905_185915-2.jpg

20140905_185933-2.jpg

20140905_190703-2.jpg

20140905_202400-2.jpg

20140905_202807-2.jpg

20140906_004418-2.jpg

20140906_004458-2.jpg

20140906_010030-2.jpg

Edited by syscrusher
photos

• 1 year later...

Very interesting modification. I am considering the same thing. Radio is dead. Tried new micro switches and came to the conclusion that the tuner crapped out. I am considering putting in a new intercom system in addition. But, this is pretty viable. It keeps the original system and the controls. I would guess the only thing lost would be the seek and scan remote buttons on my 1986.

The PRV will seek and scan but I don't use that much.

I like it much better after installing the software update to cause bluetooth re-connection automatically.

I will be adding power interruption to the toggle switch so that I can reset it. Sometimes it just won't power on when I start the bike. When that happens I'll interupt it's power, which usually makes it work again. It sucks to shut off the bike for that purpose though.

I read that part in a review. A double pole toggle should do the trick. I am not to worried about the seek and scan either. So the buttons on the unit should be fine. As I have rear speakers, I will use the main output to the 4 speakers. Then the pre-amp output to the intercom. I will be keeping the C.B. radio and pitching everything else. I obtained a Starcom digital system. Very flexible on the inputs. Can even hook up 2 cell phones and send them to separate helmets. Going to be quite a project.

I read that part in a review. A double pole toggle should do the trick. I am not to worried about the seek and scan either. So the buttons on the unit should be fine. As I have rear speakers, I will use the main output to the 4 speakers. Then the pre-amp output to the intercom. I will be keeping the C.B. radio and pitching everything else. I obtained a Starcom digital system. Very flexible on the inputs. Can even hook up 2 cell phones and send them to separate helmets. Going to be quite a project.

Nice. I just got a couple rear speakers and so I'll have to use the PRV amp for those but I think I'll leave the fronts controlled by the bike amp. It'll probably be really weird though and I'll end up giving up the old amp and just control both with the PRV.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I made a few more modifications to this recently. I added rear speakers and a power cutoff switch and relay to reset the PRV175 when it misbehaves.

If you install the PRV175, or maybe any after-market audio device, you may want to consider also adding the power cutoff at that time just in case.

See it all here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?117074-New-Rear-Speakers-amp-Cut-Power-Button-For-PRV175

I spent a lot more time making these mods than I expected it to take but I'm pleased with what I've done. Zounds Goot!