IGNORED

Okie Dokie - Interesting find...

Took the tank off today to find out if PO had done the ignition relay mod. Nope. So ordered one from Dion.

While there, decided to look around. Seems the diaphragm covers are 2 screws. What? Sorry pic is blurred.

IMG_20150803_123214_597.jpg

Then noticed that the vacuum ports were tied together: 1&2, 3&4. I read where that is a mod that is supposed to help engine run...???

IMG_20150803_123341_593.jpg

And there is a large... looks like vent... hose plugged hanging down in the center of the frame near the radiator. Looks like it goes to a small box thing protected by a splash shield. Crankcase vent? But why would it be plugged? No picture...can't get in there with phone. My 05 is not a CA model...so why the vent dis-connect?

Last....had to take out the engine brace on right side just to get to #4 spark plug...really Yamaha? Of course in order to get to the top right bolt of the brace, I had to disconnect the rear brake master cylinder from the frame. I'm beginning to see why everyone says the 1st gens are much easier to work on. So far, I have to agree.

My buddy and I also made up a makeshift dial indicator to check warpage on the front rotors. Right front is good...left front isn't. So..Pinwall has my order. Let's hope it comes in good shape. Their email to my rotor questions said they test everything before selling...included rotors. We shall see. I think the left front rotor got damaged when I took front wheel to get new tire put on. I didn't take off the rotors. Duh...

So 05 is on the bench for a week. Going to change plugs and do some more work on front end...maybe lower the forks now. Might as well...I'm halfway there...

OH...why does it take an engineering degree and 4 million bolts and screws to get to the air cleaners? And what in heck do I have to do to take the air intake off so I can squirt some carb cleaner down bores on the slides? Geesh....:think:

david

Not sure about the carbs but the large tube that's plugged at the front of the bike is most likely the AIS mod. That is a fresh air injection system that pumps air into the exhaust for emissions. It's useless and plugging it typically reduces popping in the exhaust. If you look under the bike where the center stand would be mounted you should see the same thing for the rear cylinders.

I lowered my forks an inch and discovered after the fact that I couldn't get to the air valves on top to adjust the suspension. Looks like I will need bar risers to rectify that situation or a really small air pump.

Thanks, Erik..that's what it looks like to me...air induction for emissions. plugged. Good.

I have Baron's risers...they leave room for lowering the forks about an inch. Any more than that you have to be concerned about the lower shock tubes hitting the frame during a serious bump. Some have put Progressive springs in as well...and that helps firm up and lesson the possibility of tubes hitting. Lots more info on site here...

Don't forget to join up for $12. Best $12 you will ever spend....then fill out your profile so we can know what bike you run...etc..

david