IGNORED

After Market Air Cleaner

As posted already, K&N makes replacement filters that fit inside the OEM Housings. Yamaha offered Chrome replacement covers for the plastic ones and those required the use of the K&N filter inside of it. They are getting harder to find new (and expensive IMO) and they tended to flake if not diligently maintained making clean used take offs hard to find as well. Other than that no one made complete dedicated aftermarket air cleaner breather assemblies. Not too much to be gained as the intake tract is tuned pretty well for the available space and big changes to it can result in poor running and there is a risk of ingesting water if not suitably covered/shielded. Several here have made their own adapting parts from various applications.

As posted already, K&N makes replacement filters that fit inside the OEM Housings. Yamaha offered Chrome replacement covers for the plastic ones and those required the use of the K&N filter inside of it. They are getting harder to find new (and expensive IMO) and they tended to flake if not diligently maintained making clean used take offs hard to find as well. Other than that no one made complete dedicated aftermarket air cleaner breather assemblies. Not too much to be gained as the intake tract is tuned pretty well for the available space and big changes to it can result in poor running and there is a risk of ingesting water if not suitably covered/shielded. Several here have made their own adapting parts from various applications.

Yes the billet covers flake, as it seems all chromed aluminum will do after a time. Easy fix. Strip the chrome and polish out the aluminum. Did that to a pair I picked up from Freebird and they turned out great. They also haven't been available new for years, just eBay used if you're extremely lucky.. And yes they require the K&N's. I also didn't experience any performance increase, but they do look good. Which is probably the main reason for getting the billets and K&N's in the first place. You'll see them all the time on bikes being resold, but new....nope. Speaking of the K&N's... did you know that the K&N's have a life time guarantee on them. So it's the last filter you'll have to buy. I had one off a 1stGen that had an oily foam seal and it started acting like a limp noodle, called K&N to buy another, and they shipped one out No Charge. I have seen a few made by members that, with a little tweeking, really look good. See attached...

ChromeIntakeCool.jpg

how about rear view mirror off a Chevy van?

Ding Ding, I think we have a winner!!!!! ok show up at the NY Rally and I will buy ya an Ice Cream Sundae! Its a rear veiw mirror gm, not sure about the van, but close enuff.

Craig