IGNORED

I'm thinkin' it's gotta be the head unit.

uncledj

I love my 06 RSV, (Black Cherry, of course), but have had one problem with it since I first got it a couple of years ago. The stereo will start to cut in / out / in / out. Doesn't matter what the input is, ...radio, smartphone (aux), cassette or cd. It does it whether I'm on bumpy roads, or on roads smooth as glass. I split the fairing to clean the connectors, and they all looked great. I did give them a shot of contact cleaner, and put a mouse turd worth of dielectric grease on them, then secured all wiring / connectors with zip ties so nothing could jiggle loose, and to be sure the wiring / connectors wouldn't be able to move (over bumps) independent of the bike. Put it all back together and took it out for a ride, and as usual, it was fine for 5 minutes or so, then started the crackle / cut in / out.

I did notice that before putting the fairing back together, I tried the stereo, and all seemed well while sitting there, (as it always did), but the head unit was getting pretty warm.

I think the ? amp ? may be going out.

Anyhoo, I'm ready to replace it and see if that helps.

Any suggestions where to get one? Pinwheel ? Ebay ?....or is there a better resource.

I'll start lookin' around.:detective:

Well it points that way dont it. Dont know you skills, but maybe pull the unit out and open the cover. See if you can find a chaffed wire or maybe a loose wire on the circuit board.

Hey....I got skills....I can break wind at both ends simultaneously....that oughta' be worth sumthin'....

I think I found one I'm gonna buy for $135. At that price, it's not worth my time to split the fairing again to try to repair the existing one. I'd have to split it, remove, inspect and maybe repair the head unit. (If the problem's something obvious) Then I'd have to put it all back together to see if it works.

I think I'll take apart the old one and see if I can fix it. Chafed wire would be easy. Some electronic components are do-able if they're obviously, visually failed, and if they didn't damage other components when they failed.

Anyhoo, I'll try to repair the old one, but I'm gonna have another one handy before I split the fairing again so that I'll have two options, and I'll know that when I put it back together I have a good unit in it.:680:

I double checked, but the CB was never on. I've tried it out once or twice, but generally don't use it. When it's on, there's an amber light on the control pad that lights up. Definitely noticeable, so I'm sure that it's not the cause of this issue, as I'd have noticed the light.:cool: