IGNORED

Slide Pic??

Yammer Dan

I saw them. They were long & stayed fairly straight in the lane you was in.

Locking the rear up wasn't the problem I don't think but what made it stand up and throw me ?? Talking to Adrian and I remember smoke coming off the cars tires was the warning I got that they were stopping quickly and not just riding brakes.

Locking the rear up wasn't the problem I don't think but what made it stand up and throw me ?? Talking to Adrian and I remember smoke coming off the cars tires was the warning I got that they were stopping quickly and not just riding brakes.

Simply, It was reported your rear wheel was a couple feet in the air. There may have been a wave or hump in the pavement, but the only way the rear wheel to raise up is for the front wheel to be locked up.

Cant help but wonder if it was a high side event? I have seen hide siders wad the front end up at an angle which causes the rear end to actually flip up in the air like you guys are talking and make the bike stand right up straight in the process.. Another thing that can cause a bike to stand up from a slide is releasing the rear brake, that puppy will instantly stand right back up as the gyro effect of the spinning wheel (and other dynamics I am sure) take back over - can get really really freaky on one of these big ol heavy touring bikes for sure..

Does anyone know whether or not contact was made at any time with a car?

Seems like Adrian mentioned that he was behind Dan when it all happened? Be interesting if he were to jump in here and say what he saw... Either way Dan O', Prayers Up and Blessings Down brother!!

Hey, I've got the pics but I did not post them anywhere. I'll be glad to send you what I have. I think I showed them to you in the hospital when Kevin and I came by. You said you wanted to see them.. PM me an email address and I'll send them to you.

Dan, and all,

Since it seems to be an ok topic. Here is the events as I remember.

We were just driving along, coming out of a wide curve to the right and was starting to pick up speed. Doing maybe 50 as we were behind two other vehicles.

I look up see smoke from the tires of the second vehicle as the first one had decide to stop without notice. All of us had to panic stop. Dan started sliding on the pavement from a bridge then onto asphalt. Looked like he had everthing under control then about the time he should have come to a stop, the bike did a "stoppie" Dan went skyward. Keep in mind the Gen2 is about 9.5 feet long. Dan was above that in the air. Came down hard. Bounced once and slid about 10 ft and stopped. Bike stood up on front wheel, laid over to the left and slid with Dan. Bike was on his feet when we got to him. Lifted up and pushed to side so we could get to Dan. Kevin was first to Dan and was trying to keep him still and talk to him. The bike did not flip or roll. Just stood up and laid to the left and slid a little.

What I believe happened to cause this is the first little truck dude (multi colored truck from obvious previous wrecks) was going to "shoot the moon" between the first and second car approaching us to make a 45 degree turn to the left. Hence he had never attempted to signal or slow down. When the first car passed he realized the second car was a police car and slammed on brakes so he would not piss off the LEO by shooting the moon in front of him.

I asked the officer at one point why he had not gone after the truck and he said he was more concerned for Dan...

Kind of wish he had gone after truck but can understand that. Not saying 1st Gen is better bike in this case but more experience on 2nd Gen could have helped?? Insurance not wanting to discuss things but truck was main cause? Uninsured or underinsured maybe should be footing the bill??