IGNORED

Is this normal for a RSV?

debelt

My new '05 RSMV has only 400 miles on it so I'm pretty new to this bike. But I've noticed a high pitched whistling or chirp when I'm throttling up. It only does it when I'm giving it the gas and goes away when I let off the throttle. The bike is completely stock and seems to run just fine.

However, it's really annoying after a while.

Anyone know what this could be?

Don,

If it were me, I'd ride it for another 500 miles after you have gotten the engine broken in and changed out all of the fluids. And I'd suggest using a premium synthetic MC motor oil and especially a synthetic gear lube in the final drive on this change out.

And after this, if the whine or chirp is unbearable, take it back to the dealer and complain about the noise. If they are worth their salt, they will change out your Primary Driven gear with a looser one. It's not a chronic problem with the RSV or RSTD and Yamaha knows about it.

But if the noise is just a mild annoyance that you can really live with, don't bother with it and just ride it. Straight cut gears meshing together will ALWAYS make some noise. That's why I suggest a good synthetic motor oil, to keep the metal from touching as much as possible.

Just my opinion,

Rick

Thanks for the advice Rick,

I can distinguish between the staight cut gear "whine" and this chirping sound. The "whine" is nothing, but the "chirp" is really annoying. I've been keeping the mph under 50-55 during the brake in phase. If the chirp is just related to a specific rpm range, I'll probably just live with it. The few times I've ventured into fwy speeds it seems to quiet down a little. I'll give it some time and see what happens after it gets a few more miles and some fluid changes on it.

thanks,

Don