IGNORED

Gas Mileage

I have a 2007 RSV.My best friend has a 2004 RSV.Last weekend we took a round trip of about 180 miles.90 miles there and we came back home the say way.When we fueled up before we came home,he took 2.22 gallons and mine took 2.91 gallons.This was with non-ethanol gas,as that is all I use in the bike.When we got home,I was at 3/4 of a tank and his was only 1 bar off from full.I know this is not accurate , but that puts me at about 30 mpg and him in the low 40's.Mine used to get 42 to 45 because I have checked it.Both bikes have K&N air filters.His has stock pipes and mine has street glide pipes.I also have pilot jets adjusted 1/2 turn out from the stock setting.My bike has 14,000 miles and his has 62,000.Plugs were changed at 8,500 miles and I synched both bikes carbs about 6 months ago.I will change the plugs first,but the bike seems to run fine with no missing. I have read about the problems with the #3 coil,and will do the pipe warming test when I install the new plugs.From what I read on the coil failures,it is suspected to be the cap and the resistor inside the cap that is the problem.If it does turn out to be the coil,can you buy just the cap and resistor without having to buy the whole coil? I don't think it is fuel related (pilot jet plugged)because I run Sta-Bil all the time in my fuel and use fuel injector cleaner about 2 to 3 times a riding season and it is stored that way when not being ridden.I have been wrong before.I bought a can of seafoam to run through it, just in case.If any one has any suggestions , they would be much appreciated.I do ride a little more aggressive than he does.He came from a GoldWing and tends to shift before I do.I usually don't shift till about 3,500 to 4,000 RPM,but I can't see it being that much of a difference.From what I have read,that is where everyone is getting the best mileage and power, and it used to get a lot better mileage in the past.

Couple factors come to mind....

Filling the tank - I fill mine until the fuel is at the bottom of the filler neck. Then I'll add more. Then add more after the gas "settles" and fills air pockets in the tank. Do this a few times and it makes a difference how much gas you can get in the tank. Possible you and your friend don't put gas in the same way.

Besides possibly one plug not firing (coil, fouled plug)....when was the last time you serviced your bike? Could require carb sync, air filter.... This would impact mileage, as would when you shift gears. Lugging the motor or going to 5th too soon would lower your mileage too.

I would change the plugs. If you run SeaFoam all the time, you will burn up those plugs faster than normal.

The other thought...it's not the rev shifting that reduces mpg's but how hard you twist the throttle. These bikes are very sensitive to that right hand twitch! Especially on my 1st gen...that I love to twist the wrist. My mpg's drop dramatically when I do so. 4 carbs just guzzling fuel!

Try and be like your friend for a tank full...go ahead and rev, just take your time getting there...see if that makes a difference.

I changed the plugs and started the bike up for a few minutes.The right front pipe (#2) was cold compared to the rest.I guess I have a blocked pilot jet on that cylinder as my tach is wired into that coil and it is working fine.I will try some seafoam or techron and see if that works.If not,I will have to pull the carbs unless someone has a better alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the problem.I took videoarizona's advice and checked my coil and found that a wire had come loose. I had made a 2 into 1 jumper wire when I added the tach and those 2 wires had pulled out of the single connector that attached to the coil.I don't understand how the tach was still working,but as soon as I reattached the wire and turned it over,I had fire at the plug,which I did not have before.Glad to get it fixed, and best of all it only cost $12 for membership to this forum.I have been a member since 2007,but I rarely post.I hope this can help someone else.I had read on here that these bikes would run on 3 cylinders and you can't really tell.Now I am a believer.Thanks to everyone for the help.