IGNORED

tires

10spd

At the risk of opening a can of worms that we don't want :) LOL I need to put a rear tire on my 1988. it does have a Metzeler on it now. has any body tried a Michelin or has everyone switched over to the dark side.

Once my Dunlops wear out, I'm putting on a set of Metzlers. But only because I have a nearly unused set in the loft.

If I didn't have a nearly new set of Metzlers already, I'd probably be going for the Michelins.

I gotta say; whatever I put Michelins on I'm impressed by them. So far I've only had them on cars and trucks, can't wait to see what they can do with bike tires.

I won't even touch the topic of car tires on motorcycle rims. My dog is not in that fight....

Once my Dunlops wear out, I'm putting on a set of Metzlers. But only because I have a nearly unused set in the loft.

If I didn't have a nearly new set of Metzlers already, I'd probably be going for the Michelins.

I gotta say; whatever I put Michelins on I'm impressed by them. So far I've only had them on cars and trucks, can't wait to see what they can do with bike tires.

I won't even touch the topic of car tires on motorcycle rims. My dog is not in that fight....

Just make sure you run the tires right at or very near max. A number of us have had problems, myself included, with chunks or splitting. I personally think it's because the tires might have been underinflated. My 1st gen had the rear tire at 38lbs when I got it delivered. I rode it that way for two months then the bike felt squirrly. Found out the tire had split open. Other than that, I loved the way the tires handled...

I tend to go thru tires like a baby thru diapers.. Last did rear install last fall was/is a Mich Commander 11. Tire is doing great! I was concerned when installing cause it appeared to be a little harder rubber compound and Tweeks seems to attract rain at the worst times.. I am not one to slow down or stop for rain and I was worried about hard rubber mixed with rain.. Had a good chance to ride some pretty wet pavement on the way home from MD recently.. That Mich sliced thru and shedded water holes like it was made purposely for high speed rain riding..

At this point, Mich is looking like a good tire!! Kind of anxious to see how it does in the 110 degree desert tarmac twisty riding!!

By the way, I also did a new Conti Tour on the front last spring before chasing a few miles headed west.. Tire still looks new and it is AWESOME in rain - heat - snow - sleet and in the twisties.. The Mich and the Conti seem to get along fairly well!!

On another note,, I wanna add that for cheaper tires - Full Bore tires proved AWESOME!! Wayyyy above a 404 in mileage and GREAT handling tire.. Just putting a plug in for something I happen to discover!!

I've had 3 sets of Metzeler 880's on two different bikes ('01 Road Star and current '06 RSV) with 0 problems. I agree with keeping the pressure at or near the top of the suggested inflation.:thumbsup::feedback:

May not be the feedback your looking for but what the heck,, I am in to deep around here anyway from all my :witch_brew: so here goes.

I always run max on my tires (side wall specs), just how I am.. Didnt help with my Metz 880 rear tire delam (see pic).. I happen to have some really really close riding buddies who also experienced some same issues with Metz.. While I admired the mileage and ride I got out of the 880's, I will steer clear of em just for the thought of delam issues..

Now that said, I do run a fair amount of HOT tarmac and it is entirely possible that the heat had something to do with the delam BUT - never had an issue with this even from cheap tires (like shinko).. Just some thoughts..

20140624_191448.jpg

20140624_191434.jpg

I am currently running a set of Shinko 777's on my 84. I have not gotten a whole lot of mileage on them. Probably around 3K, but they look brand new, and I abuse the heck out of them. Tested them in rain, high & Low altitude, twisties, and the brutal desert. I will be seeing if they make the right size for my second gen when I get home.